Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #1

Default Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System

So I only have the money to pick up one ESC and motor this month from castle creations not sure which one to get. So my question is can I run a Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System in my Axial Wraith? it would only be for a month or 2. My 4x4 Slash project is all but complete other then the motor and ESC. I kind of want to finish it up but also want to beef up my crawler so If i can pick up one Combo this month a wait a little and use the Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System for the time its seems like a win to me. is this a possibility

Thanks guys
Madtrotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System

The Traxxas system will work but if you're doing any slow driving or crawling with the Wraith, you'll will experience cogging/jerkiness. If you have the Traxxas system already, you can certainly use it for now but i wouldn't buy it specifically for the Wraith.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
The Traxxas system will work but if you're doing any slow driving or crawling with the Wraith, you'll will experience cogging/jerkiness. If you have the Traxxas system already, you can certainly use it for now but i wouldn't buy it specifically for the Wraith.
I can only upgrade one combo this month. My slash 4x4 project is all but complete as soon as i pull the Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System and replace it with a castle creations the Traxxas set up wont be used so i would like to get some life out of it
Old 05-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I'd leave the Traxxas system in the Slash and get use of it there. Then buy a specific combo for the Wraith.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
I'd leave the Traxxas system in the Slash and get use of it there. Then buy a specific combo for the Wraith.
Which KV motor if i went this route instead. I have one picked out for the Slash already but not sure for the Wraith I like what Castle offers for crawlers just not sure in what KV to get still learning up on that part
Old 05-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtrotter1 View Post
Which KV motor if i went this route instead. I have one picked out for the Slash already but not sure for the Wraith I like what Castle offers for crawlers just not sure in what KV to get still learning up on that part
The Castle motors for the Wraith would be the sensored Slate crawler motors, either something like the 2280kv for nice low end or 2850kv for a bit more speed. Castle also recommends the 1410 3800kv if you want crazy top speed but I don't know how much I can recommend that without having your rig really built up for that kind of speed. You also need the sensored ESC, they have them bundled together though: MAMBA X, SENSORED, 25.2V WP ESC AND 1406-2280KV SENSORED COMBO. Also your options can be affected by battery choice, if you only run 2S then there'd be little point to the 2280kv, both can run on 3S, but the 2280kv would be a bit better suited for 4S use. The Mamba X can run up to 6S so it's fine with anything.

There's also brushed options which are way cheaper for the crawlers.

Last edited by Sneetches; 05-15-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
The Castle motors for the Wraith would be the sensored Slate crawler motors, either something like the 2200kv for nice low end or 2850kv for a bit more speed. Castle also recommends the 1410 3800kv if you want crazy top speed but I don't know how much I can recommend that without having your rig really built up for that kind of speed. You also need the sensored ESC, they have them bundled together though: MAMBA X, SENSORED, 25.2V WP ESC AND 1406-2280KV SENSORED COMBO

There's also brushed options which are way cheaper for the crawlers.
The 2 combos I have been looking at are sensored ESC's i was leaning more towards the 2280KV or 2850KV. would the MAMBA MICRO X work over the MAMBA X?? or are they the same just ones smaller
Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
RCC Addict

That's a hard one to say, I don't know who's actually tried to run the Micro X in a bigger rig like the Wraith. It might stay cool if you run something like the 2280kv on 3S with 12/56 gearing or lower and don't do much above 50% throttle, however that's just speculation and I can't say for certain that it'd work as well compared to the tried and tested Mamba X.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
That's a hard one to say, I don't know who's actually tried to run the Micro X in a bigger rig like the Wraith. It might stay cool if you run something like the 2280kv on 3S with 12/56 gearing or lower and don't do much above 50% throttle, however that's just speculation and I can't say for certain that it'd work as well compared to the tried and tested Mamba X.
going with the Mamba X in the 2280KV or 2850KV just need to do a little more research what would be a good starting place for gear to get some decent speed but still be able to do some light crawling
Old 05-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
going with the Mamba X in the 2280KV or 2850KV just need to do a little more research what would be a good starting place for gear to get some decent speed but still be able to do some light crawling
Are you coming from the stock 27T motor in the Wraith or how is it set up now? The 2850kv on 3S with something like 13/56 should be plenty fast enough and still have plenty of crawling finesse. I'm sure you've had some experience but anything faster than 20 mph gets a bit bonkers in the solid axle rigs whereas that's relatively slow in the Slash.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Are you coming from the stock 27T motor in the Wraith or how is it set up now? The 2850kv on 3S with something like 13/56 should be plenty fast enough and still have plenty of crawling finesse. I'm sure you've had some experience but anything faster than 20 mph gets a bit bonkers in the solid axle rigs whereas that's relatively slow in the Slash.
I am new to crawling. They Wraith it self i picked up on a trade and has some upgrades on it. I can see Hot racing parts on it aluminum linkage steering parts Hubs. Its running a Novak Timbuk2 System currently
Old 05-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am new to crawling. They Wraith it self i picked up on a trade and has some upgrades on it. I can see Hot racing parts on it aluminum linkage steering parts Hubs. Its running a Novak Timbuk2 System currently
Well that's interesting, is there anything you currently dislike about that system? If that's the 13.5T system then it'll be really fast to the point that gearing down would be beneficial, but it should still be usable.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Well that's interesting, is there anything you currently dislike about that system? If that's the 13.5T system then it'll be really fast to the point that gearing down would be beneficial, but it should still be usable.
I haven't even looked at how its geared and I am not sure which system it is. I just know its a brushless Timbuk2. will it say on the motor what system it is? Also if i wanted more speed out of the current system what would the gearing look like

Thanks
Old 05-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I haven't even looked at how its geared and I am not sure which system it is. I just know its a brushless Timbuk2. will it say on the motor what system it is? Also if i wanted more speed out of the current system what would the gearing look like

Thanks
There should be a sticker designating "13.5" or whatever it is. For the gearing it's hard to say yet because the previous owner could already have shorter gearing like 16/56 on it. Also if the Wraith itself is as old as that system you might even have the 48p gears, in which case I've been talking about the 32p gear ratios. Just check first and then it'll be easier from there.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The 2 combos I have been looking at are sensored ESC's i was leaning more towards the 2280KV or 2850KV. would the MAMBA MICRO X work over the MAMBA X?? or are they the same just ones smaller

I went with Holmes Hobbies 3500kv Puller Pro and HH BLE ESC. It's an awesome system with great low speed crawling and gobs and gobs of torque and power. (All programmable with CastleLink as well) I see no reason that a Mamba and Castle motor in that same range would not provide the same results. That said, if I were you, I would definitely check out Holmes Hobbies stuff. Awesome product, awesome support, and he spends a lot of time on these forums answering tech questions.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I believe that Timbuk2 system was a 2s limit and according to Tower's site the motor is rated at 2000kv. That's fairly low for 13.5T motor coupled with 2s, I can see your pain.

As mentioned, the Holmes PP3500 is a fantastic motor and on 3s will do everything pretty darn great. The Castle slate motor are slightly smaller in power than that HH Puller motor so I'd stick with the 2850 or jump to the 1410-3800 on 3s.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #17

Quote:
There should be a sticker designating "13.5" or whatever it is. For the gearing it's hard to say yet because the previous owner could already have shorter gearing like 16/56 on it. Also if the Wraith itself is as old as that system you might even have the 48p gears, in which case I've been talking about the 32p gear ratios. Just check first and then it'll be easier from there.
I will look when i get chance and send you a PM if you dont mind answering a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I went with Holmes Hobbies 3500kv Puller Pro and HH BLE ESC. It's an awesome system with great low speed crawling and gobs and gobs of torque and power. (All programmable with CastleLink as well) I see no reason that a Mamba and Castle motor in that same range would not provide the same results. That said, if I were you, I would definitely check out Holmes Hobbies stuff. Awesome product, awesome support, and he spends a lot of time on these forums answering tech questions.
could you send me a link to this setup i would like to read up on it

Quote:
I believe that Timbuk2 system was a 2s limit and according to Tower's site the motor is rated at 2000kv. That's fairly low for 13.5T motor coupled with 2s, I can see your pain.

As mentioned, the Holmes PP3500 is a fantastic motor and on 3s will do everything pretty darn great. The Castle slate motor are slightly smaller in power than that HH Puller motor so I'd stick with the 2850 or jump to the 1410-3800 on 3s.
is the Holmes PP3500 sold as a combo with an ESC ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Madtrotter1; 05-16-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
I will look when i get chance and send you a PM if you dont mind answering a few questions

could you send me a link to this setup i would like to read up on it

is the Holmes PP3500 sold as a combo with an ESC ?
I don't mind. Select the Puller Pro 540 standard 3500kv and Holmes BLE Pro in their respective sections: https://holmeshobbies.com/combos/bru...tor-combo.html

Last edited by THX_138; 05-15-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I don't mind. Select the Puller Pro 540 standard 3500kv and Holmes BLE Pro in their respective sections: https://holmeshobbies.com/combos/bru...tor-combo.html

I second this, I have this exact set up and its terrific! Best of all I don't need to worry about upgrading in the future. This combo will do everything I need from slow crawling to trailing and hill climbs. You wont be disappointed with it!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #20

Would a stubby motor fit better or is stander the only way to go for other reasons

Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Velineon Brushless Motor & ESC Power System tallguy964 Electronics 8 06-18-2010 08:31 PM