Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Multi channel radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #1

Default Multi channel radio

So i have been contemplating a different radio on my scx10ii honcho rtr, the tx200 is nice but i was wanting one more channel at least so i can mount/use a servo winch. I dont compete and this is just for the fun of it. What recommendations do you guys suggest looking into. Price point being lower would be my biggest deciding factor i think. Thanks in advance guys!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
prondzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Multi channel radio

Flysky or radiolink
They are cheap from asia and they have 4, 5 or 6 channels.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Spend a little more and get yourself a decent radio, like a Futaba 4 PLS. Two things you don want to cheap out on in the RC hobby are your radio gear and charging equipment.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/review-fu...lemetry-radio/
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Spend a little more and get yourself a decent radio, like a Futaba 4 PLS. Two things you don want to cheap out on in the RC hobby are your radio gear and charging equipment.

I don't completly agree.
If you race hardcore and need the best of the best yeah you can't cheap out on batteries and radio.

I think for the average crawler, the hobbyking batteries and asian radios are more than enough and offer far more quality and options than the big brands entry level gear.

I use venom batteries and zippy compact on the same truck and never saw any kind of major performance loss on the cheap zippy.

If i had too much money, i would upgrade to futaba but at 50$ per receiver, i will stick to my radiolink so i can run all my models on 1 radio without selling a kidney...

Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I didnt say anything about batteries, I run Turnigy and Venom packs in my crawlers. Trinity / Revteck in my race stuff However, the 4- PLS will run the less expensive R203GF receivers which are $37

Investment in a "better" radio system is always a good idea if you plan to stay in the hobby.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:

You don't need an expensive radio out on the trail. A FlySky or RadioLink, both of which can be bought as rebranded Turnigy radios, are fine.

I think it's horrible advice to recommend an expensive radio for the trail when it's easy to drop it or fall with it in your hand.

Consider the FlySky GT-3, GT-5 or RadioLink RC4G. Both can be had from HobbyKing as rebranded Turnigy products.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You don't need an expensive radio out on the trail. A FlySky or RadioLink, both of which can be bought as rebranded Turnigy radios, are fine.

I think it's horrible advice to recommend an expensive radio for the trail when it's easy to drop it or fall with it in your hand.

Consider the FlySky GT-3, GT-5 or RadioLink RC4G. Both can be had from HobbyKing as rebranded Turnigy products.
Plus the receivers are like 5$ on banggood so if you burn one out in the water / mud, it's really no big deal.

My main reason to go for cheaper brands is that my local store only carries Spektrum and futaba and no models under 300$ canadian...

Old 03-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
RCC Addict

LOL, a 4 PLS is not considered a "expensive" radio, it's $179 and for what you get a darn good radio for the price point. Now a 4PK is a different story......that's a expensive radio.

I've messed with the Flysky radios and yes they are less expensive and the receivers are cheap, but you do not get the same quality you get from a Futaba, Airtronics or even a Spektrum radio. The ergonomics on the Futaba are so much better than the Flysky its not even funny.

Not to mention, I had problems with the Flysky transmitter not keeping it's setting sometimes and have had problems with receivers loosing their bind or not being able to bind at all. To me the savings in money spent just wasnt worth it to have problems. Ive run the Futaba 4 PL , 4 PLS, Airtronics MT4 and now the Futaba 4PV and I've never had a problem with any of these....... ever. And these (4pl , 4pls, mt4) are not considered "high end" or expensive radios in comparison to some of the other stuff out there.

Last edited by HDMM; 03-05-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Plus the receivers are like 5$ on banggood so if you burn one out in the water / mud, it's really no big deal.

My main reason to go for cheaper brands is that my local store only carries Spektrum and futaba and no models under 300$ canadian...

That I can understand, your hobby shop should offer some less expensive radio gear, not everyone wants to drop $300 on one. As far as the receivers getting wet, I usually either put them in some kind of box or try to waterproof it some other way if I plan to run it in wet conditions. The Axial receiver boxes work well with just a little silicone sealer around the lid and wire hole and it will be 100% waterproof
Old 03-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #10
RCC Addict

When i bought my kit i looked at the futaba lower end radios but in the end i put that money on upgrades.
The 50$ RC4GS has been perfect so far. I do agree on the ergonomics, it's not the best grip or trigger in you hands but for the money it's really nitpicking.

Once i'm done with the truck, i will look at radios but so far it's been doing a damn good job and i don't mind giving it to my kid or nephews, if they break it, it's cheap.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
RCC Addict

It always amazes me how cheap companies can sell products for now a days (like the $20 Hobbywing WP1060 ESC).
Old 03-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

TTX 300

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
It always amazes me how cheap companies can sell products for now a days (like the $20 Hobbywing WP1060 ESC).
The quicrun 1060 is not bad.
However the quicrun 1080 waterproof with a program card at 40$ is INSANE!

You can change just about everything on it (i think it's 13 parameters) to make any truck perfect.
It's only missing the Mamba X AUX control for on/off drag brake.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
The quicrun 1060 is not bad.
However the quicrun 1080 waterproof with a program card at 40$ is INSANE!

You can change just about everything on it (i think it's 13 parameters) to make any truck perfect.
It's only missing the Mamba X AUX control for on/off drag brake.

No doubt, the 1080 is awesome for the price. I actually run one for oval carpet racing, Busch pan car series run brushed motors and NiCd batteries! The esc works great.

Last edited by HDMM; 03-05-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
LOL, a 4 PLS is not considered a "expensive" radio, it's $179 and for what you get a darn good radio for the price point. Now a 4PK is a different story......that's a expensive radio.

I've messed with the Flysky radios and yes they are less expensive and the receivers are cheap, but you do not get the same quality you get from a Futaba, Airtronics or even a Spektrum radio. The ergonomics on the Futaba are so much better than the Flysky its not even funny.

Not to mention, I had problems with the Flysky transmitter not keeping it's setting sometimes and have had problems with receivers loosing their bind or not being able to bind at all. To me the savings in money spent just wasnt worth it to have problems. Ive run the Futaba 4 PL , 4 PLS, Airtronics MT4 and now the Futaba 4PV and I've never had a problem with any of these....... ever. And these (4pl , 4pls, mt4) are not considered "high end" or expensive radios in comparison to some of the other stuff out there.
$179 isn't an insane high-end radio price like the 4PX or M12, but it will definitely still hurt if you drop it or fall with it on the trail.

I've never dropped a radio, but I did take a fall with one in my hand out on the trail. I'm glad it was my Turnigy TS4G (rebranded Radiolink RC4G) and not my Airtronics, Futaba or even my Spektrum.

FlySky ergos always felt horrible to me and the firmware was crap with the issues you pointed out and more. I much prefer the Radiolink ergonomics and firmware. It's obviously still not up to the level of Airtronics, Futaba and Spektrum, but for trail rigs it's fine.

And Jboucher's point about inexpensive receivers is a great one.

Quote:
HobbyWing is not a cheap company. They make great high end stuff as well as great inexpensive stuff. The WP 1060 and WP 1080 are great examples of their lower end stuff. Inexpensive doesn't mean cheap and inexpensive doesn't have to mean junk.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #16

Hey thanks for the suggestions guys, i have a lot of reading to do on some of these models, just out of curiosity what are your thoughts on a newer traxxas radio? I have always liked their ergonomocs in their old tq3 system any issues i should be aware of?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
prondzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #17
RCC Addict

The newer TQi radios arent bad at all, decent range too.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

HobbyWing is not a cheap company. They make great high end stuff as well as great inexpensive stuff. The WP 1060 and WP 1080 are great examples of their lower end stuff. Inexpensive doesn't mean cheap and inexpensive doesn't have to mean junk.
I think you misundertood my statement, I didnt say HW stuff was cheap, said it was amazing how they can sell something so cheap (meaning inexpensive). I use HW esc's in all of my race stuff from pan cars to 1/12 scale so I do know how good they are. At the Snowbird Nationals this year, most on the podium winners were running a Hobbywing ESC of some sort.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think you misundertood my statement, I didnt say HW stuff was cheap, said it was amazing how they can sell something so cheap (meaning inexpensive). I use HW esc's in all of my race stuff from pan cars to 1/12 scale so I do know how good they are. At the Snowbird Nationals this year, most on the podium winners were running a Hobbywing ESC of some sort.
It's really a shame they don't waterproof their high end stuff like the XR8 SCT. I also heard bad stories about the G2 motors splitting in half on big impacts.
The Mamba X needs some competition on the rock racing / crawling side.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Ah yes, I did misunderstand then. I do agree it's amazing that the $40 WP 1080 is so good for so little money.

Quote:
It's really a shame they don't waterproof their high end stuff like the XR8 SCT. I also heard bad stories about the G2 motors splitting in half on big impacts.
The Mamba X needs some competition on the rock racing / crawling side.
Every brand has horror stories. Without videos or photos I tend not to believe most of them. And so often it's user error.

So often the "I jumped my Slash and it broke" stories leave out details like the person tried to jump it off of a 4 story building or something like that.

Yes, I agree that the Castle X series needs competition. I think it will remain the crawling king until somebody else borrows the Auxiliary wire function with rock racer/crawler mode.

Multi channel radio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multi channel trans/Recver, Steering, Throttel, Gear change, 4WSteering etc. romac Electronics 13 11-18-2012 12:29 PM
Single channel / multi-bank LED controllers? cyrusd Electronics 3 11-26-2011 08:24 AM
3 channel am radio, with multi model memory? junkman Electronics 0 11-30-2009 03:16 PM
Multi Channel Radio for your crawler kwkride Nebraska 4 04-02-2008 11:46 AM