Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Wraith Kit or RTR for the Win?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Wraith Kit or RTR for the Win?

What's up guys,

I am researching my next truck and would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

If I go with an Axial Wraith, should I buy the RTR or the kit, and why?

Many thanks for your thoughts, as always.

-MP
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2018, 12:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wraith Kit or RTR for the Win?

Kit for sure. It starts out with a good amount of the hop-ups that you'll eventually want anyway, like hd gears, universal jointed axles, aluminum shocks, etc. All of the rtr electronics suck anyway, so why pay extra for them?

...but if you want a 2.2 Axial, I'd suggest the kit bomber instead. It has most of the same kit upgrades as the Wraith, but a better electronics layout, and m4 links/rodends instead of m3. The Bomber handles better when the pace picks up (largely due to the longer wheelbase and increased rear suspension travel) and you can swap to shorter trailing arms to make it out-crawl a Wraith. I say all this as a $$$$ Wraith owner, not trying to be a hater.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Neither.

The Wraith's drive train is finicky, the best bet for an ESC/motor combo is a brushless sensored system (waterproof). Anything less and you will have to play with gearing and motor cooling to keep from frying your motor.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #4

I also vote "Neither".

Get the Bomber kit. It's an improved version of the Wraith. And the kit comes equipped with a lot of upgrades.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I say start with a cage and build up from there the only good axial part on both the wraith and the bomber is the cage and the skid your better off buying everything after market and saving $400 that you pay for a new complete wraith just to toss the parts aside for aftermarket parts its hard to justify buying a kit or rtr im my opinion for axials anyway the aftermarket is just so much better and i end up not using the axial brand parts anyway
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I also say go for the Kit or the Bomber, but if you end up wanting the RTR RPP Hobby has it going for $30 off at the moment

I started off with a Wraith RTR and as I progressed ended up replacing more and more of the rig with upgrades, I should have gone for the kit but I was still new to things.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:27 AM   #7
RCC Addict

My vote is for the Bomber as well. I've owned and built the wraith kit, a Wraith RTR and a Bomber. The Bomber was by far my favorite out of the 3.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith Kit or RTR for the Win? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
Winner of the "Win a new Axial Wraith Kit, before you can buy one!" giveaway badger General Crawlers 44 10-02-2011 11:55 AM
Win a new Axial Wraith Kit, before you can buy one! jason General Crawlers 537 09-30-2011 11:26 AM
Win an Axial Wraith kit, before you can buy them! jason Axial Wraith 0 09-21-2011 08:27 PM