Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to Crawling - Electronics Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #1

Question New to Crawling - Electronics Question

Hey guys & gals,

I'm new to crawling but I race 10th onroad & offroad so not new to RC.

I've got my heart set on a Vanquish VS4-10, but I'm abit lost when it comes to electronics for it - im used to how many turns a motor has not Kv.

I'm a big fan of Tekin, so i was thinking a T-440 servo, although Im not sure the difference between the 360 & 440 as they are the same price.

Tekin RX4 ESC, with a Tekin Motor - I was thinking a ROC412 3100kv version?

What would you recommend? And do i need to run a 2S or 3S battery? Is it just longer run time or does the motor size determine what battery I need?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
DamageNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2019, 01:10 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to Crawling - Electronics Question

Kv is rpms x volts unloaded.

So a 3100 kv would give 26000 rpm on 2s potentially and 34000 rpms potentially on 3s.

40:1 gearing

Translation.... My scx10II can launch off a step easily and catch air off jumps Slings mud into my eyes if I am not careful and has all the wheelspeed I could want in this chassis. (10-11 mph guess here) but still has great control on 3s. 10II should be very similar to the vs4.

Another option is a Tekin fxr and 35t brushed motor on 3s. Its a tried and true combo that has a good balance of wheel speed and smooth control. about 4 mph ish.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #3

The Tekin 3100kv motor is a very popular motor around here. Tons of power, and great wheel speed, especially on 3S.

As for 2s vs 3s, the higher voltage is going to give you more torque, more speed, and MAH per MAH, more run time. Because 3S packs are bigger, bringing the MAH down to keep the battery the same size and weight as a comparable 2S pack will usually still give you longer run times, plus all of the other benefits of 3S.

The Tekin servos and ESCs are good stuff, and plenty of people here use them, but in my opinion, they're kind of expensive for what you get. I think the Castle Mamba X is a much better option for a crawler ESC. The aux feature that the Castle Mamba X offers is so useful that I buy them just for that. I can dial up as much drag brake as I need right from my controller, or dial it all the way down and the ESC will automatically switch to forward/brake/reverse mode for bashing. It's the only ESC I need for any of my crawlers.

Similarly with servos, the Tekin servos are nice, but they're a lot of money. You can get better, more powerful servos for less money. I'm a fan of the Pro Modeler 470 servo, but the Holmes Hobbies servos are another great option for less than the Tekin stuff costs.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageNZ View Post
Hey guys & gals,

I've got my heart set on a Vanquish VS4-10, but I'm abit lost when it comes to electronics for it - im used to how many turns a motor has not Kv.
Here is a useful chart for the conversion from turns to kv...

https://www.rccaraction.com/brushles...-vs-kv-rating/
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Here is a useful chart for the conversion from turns to kv...

https://www.rccaraction.com/brushles...-vs-kv-rating/
It's helpful to get you into the ballpark, but just among ROAR approved motors, the KV can vary pretty significantly among the same class of motors, so there isn't always a 1:1 translation between turns & KV. There are other variables that can significantly impact that translation. It's best just to recognize that as KV goes up and turns go down, the motor gets faster, and then just try to find some sort of "baseline" to compare the rest to.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #6

Smile Re: New to Crawling - Electronics Question

Hey guys,

Thank you, thats great! Just what I wanted to know.

I will have a look around for some other options for servos / ESC's.

I really appreciate your help

Cheers,
DamageNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Read this thread,

Definitive ESC, MOTOR, and BATTERY threads - RCC's top tech threads!
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
wyd
Rock Crawler

Servo wise check out the Savox 1283 as it has 400oz plus torque at 6volts so it's a monster and don't break the bank. Esc and motor wise Castle Creations makes some great stuff. SOmething to look at would be the Castle Micro Mamba X for lighter weigh stuff and the Mamba X. I have an Ascender and Carisma Coyote and run both on the Micro X (The AScender I run on 3s lipo with the Castle 1406 Slate Series 2280kv motor and the Carisma Coyote on 2s lipoe and the 1406 Slate Series 2850kv motor setup. Both are excellen motors and are sensored. Castle sells combos with Esc and Motor in either the Micro X or Mamba X.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote

New to Crawling - Electronics Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to crawling, electronics advice! mathcanbefun Axial SCX-10 7 05-22-2014 09:59 PM
electronics question vt4runner Newbie General 2 01-14-2008 02:46 PM
Electronics question txrenegade Newbie General 3 10-11-2007 08:08 PM
electronics question truegaintfree General Crawlers 4 09-22-2005 07:53 PM