Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help Needed - 1:6 RC Car 1936 Ford Coupe Jesse James West Coast Chopper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Default Help Needed - 1:6 RC Car 1936 Ford Coupe Jesse James West Coast Chopper

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and trying to get some information and help on a RC Car I was given.
I have a Planet Toys RC 1936 Ford Custom West Coast Chopper Remote Control Car 1:6 Scale.

At one time this car ran perfect, hydraulics worked and all. Now the car runs for about 10 seconds then stops. If i turn the switch back off and on, it will do the same thing.
I'm needing some help to diagnose what may be wrong and how to fix. I found a guy on YouTube that had this same car and replaced all the electronics, but i'm having difficulty getting information from him.
I'm guessing something is up with the circuit board.

Anyone that can help, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by hotsauce6226; 01-16-2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Image Uploads
hotsauce6226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Help Needed - 1:6 RC Car 1936 Ford Coupe Jesse James West Coast Chopper

#1 step is to take it apart, you might run into something that's only obvious when you take it apart. More likely than not you're going to have to replace all the electronics with hobby grade stuff. (I'm actually doing that to a 1/14 Rastar LaFerrari right now, but it's somewhat easier for me because I have a 3d printer)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Help Needed - 1:6 RC Car 1936 Ford Coupe Jesse James West Coast Chopper

It sounds like a dead or bad battery
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #4

Thank you for your reply!!

So I did open this up and saw there was a blown diode. I repaired the diode with the same issues. So even with the diode completely missing, I still have the same issues. I have 2 different batteries so I know im good there.

Car will drive for 10 seconds, stop and you cant start again until the power switch is turned off and back on. Sounds and hydraulics don't work from the remote. I've seen some others with this same car. Im debating if I should try to fix, or just sell as is and let someone else figure it out. Also I have no experience with RC stuff. Id love to pick the brain of someone who has swapped out the electronics for hobby grade, to get this to run.

Any help is very appreciated.

Here are the photos of the board.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you want it to climb bolders im sure we can help if you want it to work as intended i would say your in the wrong place that sead there are some electronic goroos who might be willing to help you out if you just want it to drive im sure thats easy you would need a speed controler about $15 a servo a cheap $5 servo would be fine a controler and a reciver and new batterys the controlers are cheap too i would guess about $50 to make it scream but your hydrolics wont work or anythin else thats alot more work im guessing ive built several of those big toy grade rcs in to rock crawler/scalers and make them do different things but ive got a bit of practice im still guessing your batterys are dead also try a new battery before you do anything else ive gotten dead batterys out of the packadge so having 2 old batterys means you have 2 old batterys and those batterys go bad just sitting so there probably bad you can test them but if you do i would load test them

What your describing is clasic dead battery probably cant handle the load

Do you have pics of the battery
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

What level of getting this to work are you on? Do you want it to roll, or do you want all the bells and whistles?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #7

Ferp: I will get pictures of the battery. But Im pretty sure its solid. I can run off a DC 9.6v outlet to make sure its not battery related.

MasteroFlego: Ive opened it up, and repaired the diode. Im very proficient in soldering. I have all the electrical schematics for the car and the transmitter, Im just novice on reading and diagnosing it.

Honestly Id like to get it working as it was before, because at one time it all worked. Id be open to replacing all of the electronics with hobby grade to get it working. If the cost is too much, the car sells on eBay (Non-Working) for $100 to $150.

My preference is to have it functioning. If I could find out what part/component went bad.

Ive reached out to Norton and Warriorimi (Members on here with similar cars) and awaiting their response.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
RCC Addict

You mentioned "hydraulics" a couple of times. Does this car actually have a hydraulic system and what does it do? Take some pics of the car without the body please.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

Here are a few videos of the hydraulics in action.
This video a guy upgraded the components.
https://youtu.be/A52GzGlE4Kg

This is a full functional car.

https://youtu.be/peLDyuzP-ac

Hope this helps
Old 01-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

My best guess would be to replace all the capacitors.
zanthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #11

I figured that would be the next step. Just didnt know how easy to diagnose all the components.
Thanks.

Help Needed - 1:6 RC Car 1936 Ford Coupe Jesse James West Coast Chopper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/6 West Coast Chopper 54' Chevy jwalker Non Crawler RC's 24 04-15-2016 09:02 AM
West Coast Chopper Silverado Body Sasquatchbagger Chit Chat 3 02-24-2008 11:13 PM