RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Servo help (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/604312-servo-help.html)

scottyscott 12-03-2018 03:20 PM

Servo help

I just bought a new Savox Servo which is high voltage 7.4 says. It's the SB 2290 SG. It's going on my savage flux. I know it's probably Overkill but I wanted to get a real good one that's being my first replacement. I've never programmed one of these. So my first question is do I need to program it? Zecondly how do I program it if I do? I have the Spektrum dx3 radio. Third question is do I plug it right into the receiver box or does this need its own feed from the battery?

Nastyman211 12-03-2018 05:38 PM

Re: Servo help

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyscott (Post 5889123)
I just bought a new Savox Servo which is high voltage 7.4 says. It's the SB 2290 SG. It's going on my savage flux. I know it's probably Overkill but I wanted to get a real good one that's being my first replacement. I've never programmed one of these. So my first question is do I need to program it? Zecondly how do I program it if I do? I have the Spektrum dx3 radio. Third question is do I plug it right into the receiver box or does this need its own feed from the battery?

I have the same servo on my Yeti. You can change the voltage settings by using the Castle Link software. http://home.castlecreations.com/download-castle-link/ It will also give you access to a whole bunch of programming options for your ESC. I run mine at 7.4 because my ESC can sustain that voltage.

What ESC are you running? If it can’t handle the 7.4 you will need a BEC.

-Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyscott 12-04-2018 01:14 AM

Thanks for responding!
I have the flux blur esc.
I am really new to the hobby by the way.

scottyscott 12-04-2018 02:07 AM

Flux blur esc and
Spektrum sr200 receiver if that is important

mewalsh100 12-04-2018 05:37 AM

You can only set your operating voltage as high as your lowest common denominator. Here are the specs on the SR200 Rx: Specifications:
# of Channels: 2
Modulation: DSM
Band: 2.4GHz
Receiver: SR200
Dimensions (LxWxH): 1.62x1.06x0.58" (41x27x15mm)
Weight: 0.3 oz (9 g)
Input Voltage Range: 3.5V to 9.6V

I wouldn't go much past 7.4v, which should operate your servo just fine. But, as Nastyman211 stated, it will depend on the specs of your ESC. Hook it up and see how it operates. If you start getting brown outs and glitching, it's a good indication you've over-taxed your ESC's internal BEC, which will require you to run an external BEC.

dacaur 12-04-2018 09:27 AM

A "high voltage" servo means it is designed to be powered directly by a 2 cell lipo battery. Assuming you have a RX that can also handle 8.4v, you can wire the rx directly to the battery, otherwise, just connect the signal wire to the rx, and the power wires directly to the battery.

scottyscott 12-04-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacaur (Post 5889304)
A "high voltage" servo means it is designed to be powered directly by a 2 cell lipo battery. Assuming you have a RX that can also handle 8.4v, you can wire the rx directly to the battery, otherwise, just connect the signal wire to the rx, and the power wires directly to the battery.

I can do this without a bec? Just run the power leads right to the 7.4 lipo?

dacaur 12-05-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyscott (Post 5889363)
I can do this without a bec? Just run the power leads right to the 7.4 lipo?

Yes, this is the entire point of HV servos, to eliminate the problems associated with powering the servo with a BEC.