Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How to properly clean up my rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #1

Default How to properly clean up my rig

I did a search for "cleaning" and "washing" and didn't come up with much.

I've gotten my rig pretty filthy without a proper bath. I'm assuming I'll just wash the lexan body with soap and water.

How does everyone go about washing the rest of the rig with the motor and electronics? I'm assuming I can't spray any of it down and I have some serious mud in there.

I know the TRX4 is supposed to be water resistant, but is there any other maintenance I should be doing besides the general cleaning?

Thanks in advance.

Pic for reference:

nyy845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #2

Default Re: How to properly clean up my rig

Do you have a compressor? Maybe brush the dried mud loose and air blast it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
cfritznewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

rinse it off with the water hose being careful to avoid hitting the ESC and Servo--even if they are waterproof resistant whatever

For a full deep clean I use the extra large bath tub, and an old tooth brush with some Dawn, then I let it try in the Dish Drainer

Bachelor pad here...
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

My son did the same thing to his rig. We tore it all the way down, cleaned it up and put it all back together. It's a pain but is really the only way to get it completely clean.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
4kids crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy845 View Post
I did a search for "cleaning" and "washing" and didn't come up with much.

I've gotten my rig pretty filthy without a proper bath. I'm assuming I'll just wash the lexan body with soap and water.

How does everyone go about washing the rest of the rig with the motor and electronics? I'm assuming I can't spray any of it down and I have some serious mud in there.

I know the TRX4 is supposed to be water resistant, but is there any other maintenance I should be doing besides the general cleaning?

Thanks in advance.

Pic for reference:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/qLpsip9l.jpg]
https://youtu.be/trIxIkUST3s
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Spray it with simple green and hose it off. Blow the water off with an air compressor. People literally submerge these things so you'll be fine.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Here’s my method. Remove the body. Let the rig dry and the dirt get crusty. Then go in with a dry brush and start knocking off the excess dirt. (I use some old tooth brushes). Once i’ve got all the heavy stuff knocked off, I’ll hit the compressor air nozzle. Then I go back in and focus on the nooks and crannies, then compressor again. Lastly I’ll go in with a damp rag and wipe everything down. If it was a particularly filthy run, i’ll sometimes use go-jo shop wipes.

For the body, I wet it and hit it with dish soap, rinse.

The TRX is “waterproof”, but still not a huge fan of soaking them. Not to mention, that water will work its way into the bearings and other areas and it will sit on the black oxide hardware and rust it.

This has been my technique on all my rigs and has served me well.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Here’s my method. Remove the body. Let the rig dry and the dirt get crusty. Then go in with a dry brush and start knocking off the excess dirt. (I use some old tooth brushes). Once i’ve got all the heavy stuff knocked off, I’ll hit the compressor air nozzle. Then I go back in and focus on the nooks and crannies, then compressor again. Lastly I’ll go in with a damp rag and wipe everything down. If it was a particularly filthy run, i’ll sometimes use go-jo shop wipes.

For the body, I wet it and hit it with dish soap, rinse.

The TRX is “waterproof”, but still not a huge fan of soaking them. Not to mention, that water will work its way into the bearings and other areas and it will sit on the black oxide hardware and rust it.

This has been my technique on all my rigs and has served me well.
Thanks. I think I'll try this method. I don't feel comfortable with dousing with water (even though it's supposed to be waterproof). I can't afford to replace stuff!
nyy845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks. I think I'll try this method. I don't feel comfortable with dousing with water (even though it's supposed to be waterproof). I can't afford to replace stuff!
It works great - you can get the rig completely clean this way. Even with waterproof electronics, i think a lot of people don't take in to consideration the places that water is going to sit for days and cause corrosion. Bearings, non-stainless hardware, c-hub bushings, etc. The key is to let the mud and grit completely dry. For larger clumps, I'll even get in there and break them off with my hands/fingers.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I've found q-tips work well to get into some of the tight spots. Dampen one end with a little water (or soap) and use the other end to dry after you've got everything cleaned up. I also use a compressor (low pressure, about 40psi) when I think I've got things as clean as I can get them. Pretty dry here so dust can be a problem more than mud and a blast of air works well to blow out all the dust.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I used to just leave my rigs alone but eventually the dirt build up is to much. Now i try and hose them off while they are still wet if at all possible. Use some degreaser and hose again let it dry. Every once and while i'll tear the axles down if they've been subjected to mud and water for a while. I also like to keep my axles with plenty of grease in them to prevent as much water inside the axle if possible.
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
It works great - you can get the rig completely clean this way. Even with waterproof electronics, i think a lot of people don't take in to consideration the places that water is going to sit for days and cause corrosion. Bearings, non-stainless hardware, c-hub bushings, etc. The key is to let the mud and grit completely dry. For larger clumps, I'll even get in there and break them off with my hands/fingers.
People get way to worked up about bearings. You have to keep in mind the bearings already have a film of grease on them so they're repelling water. If you're concerned about rust spray a light coating of wd40 on the rig before hitting it with air.

This is how we've been cleaning our nitro 1/8 stuff for decades.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You can trust that it's waterproof. That being said submerging in dirty water is not good for the brushed motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QouftChfWrI
Old 03-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I generally avoid mud and water with my rigs. I do get into some of it though, although I take it very slow and easy to minimize the mess at the end of the day.

I remove the body, wheels and tires, and battery from my truck before the cleaning begins. I clean those items (except battery) separately I. My garage sink by spraying them down with Simple Green and allowing them to soak a few minutes.

If I have any clumps of mud, I remove the with an old toothbrush. Once the big stuff is gone, I spray the entire truck down with a thick coat of simple green and let it soak for about 5-6 minutes. Then, I hold the truck up by the front bumper, and start drying it with the air compressor from the front, working my way down the rear, top to bottom. This will get rid of all the mud stains, dust, grease, whatever you went through, with little to no wiping or elbow grease. The Simple Green loosens everything up for you. The best part about this method is that you can do the entire truck and have it reassembled for use in about 30 minutes or less. The simple green leaves everything nice and shiny looking, without being sticky or attracting dust the next time out. I clean my truck after every use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HurricaneSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #15

Simple green, then I let it sit for 5-10 mins. Once things get a chance to soften up, I hit the tough spots with a toothbrush and then blow the whole thing off with compressed air.
tdo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:12 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Simple Green used it for years to clean all my rc vehicles.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I shower and blow dry my rigs. I would not recommend it, but hey, it works.
Having a compressor kicks ass, but alas I do not have one.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote