Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Servo arm holes??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Servo arm holes??

I’ve kinda gathered you get more torque when you use the hole closest to the servo on the servo arm. I’ve been using the hole on the end of the servo arm. Is this wrong? Should I be using the closer one? Are there other advantages? I’m using a promodeler 470 servo with a metal servo arm that has 2 holes.
garage-boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Servo arm holes??

It's a trade-off: the hole closer to center of the servo horn will increase the servo's torque to the steering linkage but the total steering travel decreases. A longer servo horn will provide more steering travel but less torque.

In general, you want the servo arm to be the minimum length it needs to be in order to get full travel out of your steering.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
It's a trade-off: the hole closer to center of the servo horn will increase the servo's torque to the steering linkage but the total steering travel decreases. A longer servo horn will provide more steering travel but less torque.

In general, you want the servo arm to be the minimum length it needs to be in order to get full travel out of your steering.

Yup, that about sums it up.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

If you have some steering left in your endpoint adjustments, would it be wise to use the closest hole then adjust your endpoints to add back the steering travel loss? Or is it one of those 6,1 half a dozen to the other? (Or however that old saying goes?)
garage-boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:01 PM   #5

you want too have proper hole "distance from servo" letting you use the total swing of the servo ... minimize the amount of endpoint on the transmitter , if you want the most torque out the servo
Rkilkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #6

The trade-off in hole position isn't just torque vs. throw, but also torque vs. speed. The farther the hole is from the servo gear, the faster your steering will turn. Since most vehicles can reach full turn with the shorter arm position, the speed is more of a concern to me than the total throw is. The Promodeler 470 is one of those servos that's quick and strong, so in most situations you'll probably be fine with either arm hole, but in situations where you've got a strong but slow servo, using the outer hole makes sense. In cases where you've got a quicker but weaker servo, then the inner hole makes sense. It's just one more tuning option that you have at your disposal if you want to dial your vehicle in a certain way.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo arm holes?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Dynamite servo arm 23t fits the stock s605 servo? willygee Vaterra Ascender 2 03-12-2017 05:36 PM