Thread: Oh the horrors of choosing wich transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #1

Arrow Oh the horrors of choosing wich transmission

I have selected three transmissions to use they are:
  1. stampede transmission
  2. emaxx transmission
  3. wheely king transmission
I'm looking for these things: easy to change gearing, durability, single motor capability.

I know the following things about each one.

emaxx: Two speed manual transmission, two motors, strong - this is the least upgraded part on the emaxx, 4wd.

wheely king: single piece, single speed, 4wd.

Stampede: 2wd, strong - except for spur gear, new metal version out, single motor, possible to use for 4wd.

What I want to know:

emaxx: is it possible to use with a single motor?, is it easy to modify for single motor only to save weight while keeping to gears? is it possible to have one geared for speed with a fair amount of torque and the other geared for torque and only torque? Or do they have to be closer together? and explanation of how it works is welcome.

wheely king: Is it single or double motor?, is it durable? Is it easy to swap out boxes?

stampede: is it easy to change pinion gears?

And any insight on what's better or what you prefer is welcome.
cheese446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Stampede all the way. I am running three of them and have yet to break anything, and they are run hard. Most aftermarket chassis are setup to run these and many come predrilled for ease of mounting. Super easy to change pinions. Driveshafts easy to make using stampede sliders or can upgrade although normally not necessary.
Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #3

Ok. I am thinking of using that one because sonce I have a stampede there will be less parts to buy and worry about getting mixed up. since the pinions are easy to change it will be fine for what I'm going to use it coughdual purposecough. Now is the wk single or double motor? Just curious. Btw is there a place where you can by a complete 'pede tranny?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

'Pede is a good tranny... Somewhat small and compact and pretty well the std. tranny used for shafty's... Easy to work on, change gears/motor with a ton of gearing options available...

MAXX tranny... Not bad... Big, heavy, has a 2 spd., usually locked out in a crawler, and can use dual motors...

WK tranny... The only thing I know about them is they're single motor and are stacked WAY up high.. Pretty well too high to of comp. capable use unless you laid it on its side and put yer elx and batteries on the opposite side as the motor... This tranny's all inline from motor to output shafts, unlike the other tranny's like a 'Pede, Stealth, Losi, Kyosho, etc, which are off-set and clocked to keep everything as low as possible for the chassis it was intended for...

Hope that'll help ya suss some out a bit better... Out of the 3 you listed, the 'Pede's the best bet... Unless yer running a really big, heavy super class, where a MAXX would be better...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #5

Nopeno big heavy crawler herea 2.2 sized one is coming(I plan to have most of the parts by the end of the summer). So the 'pede tranny is thew best one small, light, strong(come on it can handle a mm7700 with only one upgrade, if you keep the stock gearing.), easy to work on, lots fo gearing options. Sounds likew a winner. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViolentOne View Post
'Pede is a good tranny... Somewhat small and compact and pretty well the std. tranny used for shafty's... Easy to work on, change gears/motor with a ton of gearing options available...

MAXX tranny... Not bad... Big, heavy, has a 2 spd., usually locked out in a crawler, and can use dual motors...

WK tranny... The only thing I know about them is they're single motor and are stacked WAY up high.. Pretty well too high to of comp. capable use unless you laid it on its side and put yer elx and batteries on the opposite side as the motor... This tranny's all inline from motor to output shafts, unlike the other tranny's like a 'Pede, Stealth, Losi, Kyosho, etc, which are off-set and clocked to keep everything as low as possible for the chassis it was intended for...

Hope that'll help ya suss some out a bit better... Out of the 3 you listed, the 'Pede's the best bet... Unless yer running a really big, heavy super class, where a MAXX would be better...

Wheely knig tranny is cheap and easy to clock. have not had any issues with it yet.

rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #7

I think you mean easy to lock not clock. I noticed it's around $16 for the whole bit. Now is it easy to switch it outfor a spare wk tranny or does it depend on how it's mounted? What kind of speed can you get from a 45t micro motor? And does it have a good amount of torque? this one that link better work...... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDBJ9&P=7.

It works!

Last edited by cheese446; 06-11-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: just had to tell everyone.........
Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
Wheely knig tranny is cheap and easy to clock. have not had any issues with it yet.

Hey that's cool... Did you have to do any serious mods to get it offset like that or did you just clock the whole assembly 90* and it fit?

Nice to see someone actually DO it and make it work... I remember reading a while back about clocking them and such but no one had actually said or posted they'd done it successfully.. Good job, dude...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese446 View Post
Btw is there a place where you can by a complete 'pede tranny?
Crawl Mart sells complete trannies

RCP has all the parts you should need

RPP Hobby sells complete trannies

I bought one from Dan at FinishLineRC, you can PM him.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 06-12-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViolentOne View Post
Hey that's cool... Did you have to do any serious mods to get it offset like that or did you just clock the whole assembly 90* and it fit?

Nice to see someone actually DO it and make it work... I remember reading a while back about clocking them and such but no one had actually said or posted they'd done it successfully.. Good job, dude...
ground off all the protrusions then modified the stock mount to hold the motor at 90*, then made a mount to mount the tranny to the chassis.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #11

Thanks for the links to the place for the transmissions!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I would have to say an RC4WD R2 for a 2.2 rig. Or an R2 with a disconnect/dig. Here are links to the both of them and other ones they make that may be of interest.

R1
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=289

2 speed R2
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=593

R2
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=515

R2 disconect
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=630
Toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #13

I was thinking of the two speed one when I was looking at the links but then I saw the $130 price tag. Yipes! that's to expensive for me. Other than that I would get it. Besides the fact that metal gears are coming out for the 'pede tranny soon . Other than I would but maybe on my next crawler. Thanks for the link though.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Ive been running the wheely king now for about a week and its very smooth, half he weight of the others and total cost new of around 30.00 with bearings!

only down side is having to make your own mounting and modding the motor plate