Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: just getting started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #1

Default just getting started

im getting ready to build my first crawler and cant wait to get started but i have some questions first. is it a must to have 4 wheel steer or is front wheel steer fine? should i run springs on my shocks? because i see some people without them. i was thinking of starting with a t-maxx roll cage as my chassis base, will it work?

NeRoMo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You dont need 4ws at all...the 2.2 comp class your not allowed to run 4ws..the people running no springs,, i belive its called droop set up but i think they run internal springs not really sure...
FORD84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #3

thanks, how do you think that roll cage will work, an how long is a crawler?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i cant reallly tell you about the cage never seen one in person.a normal TLt crawler has a wheelbase between 11'-12'
FORD84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #5

are there different class of crawlers. i know absolutely nothing about them other than they look cool and i like the way they are so gracefull when they go over rocks, its like an art or somehthing. i want to build a low profile crawler, will it sill be good for crawling, over a high center of gravity crawler?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #6

OK, I see a few I like as well. Can you tell me the scale you based your builds on?? I would like to entertain this a bit further then being a lurker and would like the right size body to buy to make the tube build around...also, how do you decide on the drive train...can you all give more information on that aspect? sorry about the thread hi-jack....

~Aftrshck
Aftrshck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yes there are different classes of crawlers and yes low profile rigs are better than high center of gravity rigs. Check out the 1.9 scale, 2.2 scale, and large scale threads. Most are based on the 1/10th scale bodies, some 1.9s are 1/12th scale. Axle choices range from Tamiya TLTs to Clods. Some are using Wheely kings and so on. I feel like I could just sit here and regurgitate everything I've ever read on this site, but it's up to you to do most of the work and figure it out on your own. Keep reading up on EVERYTHING! Read, Read, Read and Search. Good luck with your projects and enjoy this hobby.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote