Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Questions about a widow chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Questions about a widow chassis

Im getting ready to build a widow chassis for my wheely king. I just want to know which type of material you guys think i should use the cutting board would be easy to work with I think but the aluminium would be stronger and also it just looks awesome when its complete so let me know your input, thanks guys
PONYBOY87LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #2

I know John (Offroader5) personally so I'm a little biased but you're making a great choice. When I finally get off my a$$ and build one, I'll be going with an aluminum setup just like the one he's running now. It's sick and works like a dream. Can't wait to see your buildup.
BMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I've got some buddies at work that could do the aluminium work but i think i will go ahead and do the cutting board for now until they get it done for me. Yeah it looks awesome i was going to fab a chassis out of savage frame rails but this looks better and easier to build so thanks again for the info. and thaks john (offroader5) for the templates. I'll keep you all posted on the progress going to go get the cutting board right now thanks again guys for the help
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I used a cutting board and it is pretty stoud. This past week my truck got rammed into the leg of a grill, and rather than the chassis bending, the steering tie-rod broke as well as a screw being bent pretty good. The screw was used to attach a control arm. I am not sure but I think that if it had been Aluminum, the chassis may have bent as well. Either way the chassis is awesome.
duleonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

starting cutting out the templates on the board and this stuff is strong to a long to get them roughly cut out lol but it will be worth the trouble
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

ca ou post pics? im building one too and not sure what i want to do yet...
theonek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

got the truck back together with the new widow chassis form a cutting board and let me tell you i got atleast 80 degree articulation if not more than that, i will post pics soon as i can. I want to thank OFFROADER5 again for the templates this thing is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again man.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Are you using the stock WK shocks? Those things are long...a bit too long for the Widow chassis in my opinion. I get right at about 65-68 degrees of articulation on mine using a 4" shock and that has been more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYBOY87LX View Post
got the truck back together with the new widow chassis form a cutting board and let me tell you i got atleast 80 degree articulation if not more than that, i will post pics soon as i can. I want to thank OFFROADER5 again for the templates this thing is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again man.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

yeah i have to use them for now because i need to cut my links down lol but i have a set oif aluminium shocks to use when i get the links cut down
Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I used cutting board for mine. The stock shocks were too long so I bought Evaders. You can get 4 off ebay for $25 shipped and they are metal.
juststartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

just got finished fabbing up a new battery mount fot the new widow chassis moved the battery to the front above the stump looks better and weight ditst. is better puts more traction to the front on a climb i'll post pics soon as i get a star lol (buy a star that is lol, im gonna i promise)

Last edited by PONYBOY87LX; 01-07-2008 at 07:08 PM.