Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: nascarkeith's Losi Mini 8ight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default nascarkeith's Losi Mini 8ight

I finally got my hands on a Mini 8ight. While I have been waiting I have been doing my research on weak points and easy mods that other people have found.

The main issues seem to be with the shocks. People are breaking front shock ball ends and shock caps. The ball ends are breaking because the front suspension droops to far ripping the ball out of the end. That is fixed by simply adjusting the droop and twisting the shock ball end out a round. The shock caps get broken during roll overs. Any easy fix for that is to put a zip tie around where they mount with the square up for protection.

As soon as I opened mine I addressed those issues and checked the gear mesh. It was a little loose so I adjusted it and looked the rest of the car over. Everything seemed to be fine. I hooked the battery up and made sure everything worked and then cut the connectors off and switched to Dean's. I have 2 Gen's Ace 2s lipos and 1 3s lipo for the car. The 3s is too tall for the stock battery set up so I made a battery hold down out of lexan. The lexan flexes and accomodates the taller battery.

I zipped it around the kitchen a few times and decided to park it until daylight. Have you ever heard wheels squeal on wood floors?

The stock body actually looks pretty good. I got the black and yellow which looks a lot like the Rockstar SCT from Losi. I decided to make mine a little different so I took some vinyl and a hobby knife and tried my hand at wrapping a body. I've never done it before but a lot of the buggy guys at my local track run their bodies wrapped. They say it makes them last longer. I just wanted to stand out in a crowd. This is what I came up with.

nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: nascarkeith's Losi Mini 8ight

Still having a blast with this thing!

Here is a little battery info.
Stock nimh = cool temps and slow, good for beginner or spec class
1550mah 2s 25c lipo = sweet spot, good torque, good speed, temps ok
1550mah 3s 25c lipo = lots of fun for 5 min., great torque, great speed, hot
I opened up some air vents on the side and tidied up the wiring trying to get better airflow and lower temps but it didn't help much.

I even opened up another vent in the windshield and the temps are still hot on 3s.

The servo saver is a little loose and lets it wonder but I found a quick, cheap, easy fix. Same thing we have been doing on RC18's. Put a zip tie around the horn. Mine tracks straight until I land a jump on the front wheels and tweak it. Then it only takes a small trim adjustment to fix. It tracks much better than it did.

I also finally broke a shock cap and end. I replaced the ball end with a 1/10 from the parts box. I think it was an Axial. I cut down an Axial shock cap to fit as well. I'm thinking about ordering RPM ball ends and wish I could find an aluminum cap.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Defy Gravity

just an observation on the shock caps, they look really similar to lnc caps. if they are, the eye on the lnc ones are still plastic, but the screw cap is aluminum. the plastic eye would be easy enough to replace with a small piece of aluminum held an sealed with some rvt and then a real short rod end. good info here keith, keep it up! and looks like its holding up fairly well minus a couple small things.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You mean you have already broke this thang?
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbuildr View Post
You mean you have already broke this thang?
Yeah it didn't take long.

I checked out the LNC shocks. They look like they might fit but are kinda $$$ to take a chance on.

I put some RPM ball cups on it to add a little bling and maybe some durability.

I also added a little yellow window trim and opened up the body for more airflow.

I've got blue lock nuts on the way for the wheels and all the visible 3mm nuts. I would like to eventually paint a blue body and find a blue wing. Ofna 1/12 wings fit but the blue is out of stock everywhere. Right now body options are either Team Blue Groove or Phat Bodies. Anyone have any experience with either?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Defy Gravity

ahh, yeah they are a bit expensive to dive into on the unknown. i can get you the major and rough minor on the threads if you want. also, i said i was going to get ya an update on those hobby partz tires and wheels. touch bigger than a 1.9 tc wheel and about 2.7 od. compound is pretty good, about like a losi 2.2 rock claw. great grip on linoleum.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks! Those look like the would be pretty close to the stock losi tire size. Might have to give them a shot.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Defy Gravity

yeah, for an 8 dollar gamble i'm happy with them. fronts are an inch wide, rears are a little under 1 1/4"
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've been hearing a lot about Phat Bodies for mini stuff. They just released 4 new bodies for the Mini 8ight. Since you can't get a clear one from Losi yet I decided to order one. I got the Phat Head. The price shipped was $18 and some change. Check them out Phat Bodies — Home
Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Here is some more info if anyone is interested.

Body Mods-
Strip, decal, or wrap the stock body
Open up the side vents, cut a hole in windshield, trim front and rear for cooling

After Market Bodies-
Phat Bodies Phat Bodies — Home $18.33 shipped
Team Blue Groove on Ebay
Bling/Durability-
Blue wheel nuts DYN8552, Blue lock nuts DYN8542, RPM blue 4-40 rod ends 73375
RPM parts are available in red, blue, yellow, black, and white. Lock nuts are available in red, blue, green, and purple. Check Ebay or google. 3mm lock nuts for shocks and 3mm flanged lock nuts for wheels.
Ofna 37100 shock parts tree. Long shock caps and short ball ends fix the shock problems. You need 2 parts trees for all 4 shocks.
Styrene battery strap wrapped in vinyl that flexes to allow a 3s 1550 Gens Ace lipo to fit.
Drilled a small hole through the top deck and added an antenna tube to stand the rx wire up for better range.
Associated Pinion Gears
11 tooth pinion ASCC0157
12 tooth pinion ASCC0153
13 tooth pinion ASCC0154
14 tooth pinion ASCC0155
15 tooth pinion ASCC0156
Gens Ace 1550mah 2s lipos fit with no mods, 3s fits with a flexible battery strap
Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Very nice.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Good to know the shock rod ends. I just kept breaking them. Didn't think to back them off a bit. And great tip on the tip ties up on the shock caps. I really like my mini 8ight but if I jump it too much the back rod ends blow out. I'll have to give this a try!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Good to know the shock rod ends. I just kept breaking them. Didn't think to back them off a bit. And great tip on the tip ties up on the shock caps. I really like my mini 8ight but if I jump it too much the back rod ends blow out. I'll have to give this a try!
Everyone says the Ofna parts tree fixes it and you will have no more problems. I haven't ran mine much since I switched to Ofna parts but we will see. With just those few adjustments I only broke one rear shock cap and 2 rear shock ball ends. They were broke in pretty hard hits too.

Luke, thanks I appreciate the compliment.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Ok guys this may be a long post but it will have good info so hang with me. These are notes and thoughts from my first day at the track with the m8.

Here it is in the pits raring to go.

A shot of the track for reference. Indoor, hard packed clay with light dust, temps in the 50's.

Practice-
Stock set up with Ofna shock caps and short ball ends in the rear, stock shocks up front, droop screws adjusted, ball ends 3 turns out, rear shocks set as low as possible, front shocks adjusted to sit level, rebound in the rear, thick grease in both diffs, 15 tooth associated pinion, 2s.

Handled OK. Traction rolled in the big turn because it was rough. Rear end bounced around a lot. Didn't temp it but electronics were cool.

1st Qualifier-
The track owner let me run the novice class for free to try and get people interested in the m8 so we can start a class. It was me and 2 kids with Slashes.

I ran 15 laps in 5:18.04 with an average lap of 21.20. The ESC was 112 degrees and the motor was 108 degrees.

Before the 1st Qualifer I took the rebound out of the rear shocks, changed to the stock pinion, and put thin grease in the rear diff.

The car handled great. The rear end followed wherever the front was pointed. The rear didn't bounce around and the traction rolling was gone. I couldn't believe how well it jumped. It flies just like the big boys.

2nd Qualifier-
Same set up except I geared back down to the 15 tooth pinion

I ran 15 laps in 5:15.78 with an average lap of 21.05. The ESC was 110 and the motor was 106, 2 degrees cooler than the stock gearing.

The car drove great. The 15 tooth pinion was the sweet spot. Good speed and the torque was better helping my jumps that were right after corners.

A Main-
I let the kids race and put on a stunt show/durability test. Stuck with the set up from the 2nd Qualifier but threw in the 3s battery.

I was able to clear the big jump that only the 1:8 buggies and truggies were making. The highlight of the day was being able to land a backflip over the big jump. I tried a front flip but couldnt pull it off.

I landed upside down, on the front bumper, on the rear wing, barrel rolled, cart wheeled, and hit the double crooked and slammed the boards.

When it was all said and done I had broken the front bumper, bent the front shock tower on both sides, and bent one side of the rear shock tower. I'm going to bend them back and keep running them. The rear one isn't that bad but I ordered a cf tower for the front for when this one bends again. The bottom got a few scrapes but nothing like I was expecting. The pinion and the spur both look fine.

Here it is after a day at the races.

Thanks for reading! I hope that info is helpful.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I've had the mini 8ight for 2 months now and I've ran it pretty hard so I thought I would post a durability and maintainance review kind of like Motor Trend does on its long term test cars.

First, let's look at the car and mods.
Losi Mini 8ight
Ofna 37100 Shock Parts
15 Tooth Associated RC18 Pinion
RPM Rod Ends
Blue Lock Nuts
Gens Ace 1550mah 2s & 3s
Phat Bodies Phat Head Body
Lexan Mud Guards

Second, I'll lost the parts I replaced due to damage.
LOSB1907 Front Bumper - Broke after many hard impacts
LOSB1916 Shock Caps - Broke pretty quick, known durability issue
LOSB1887 Knuckle & Steering Parts - Broke after many hard impacts

Third, these are the issues I've had to deal with that are basic maintainance/ wear and tear.
Front Diff set screw came loose disconnecting it from the diff
Slipper nut backing off and having to be retightened.
Front and rear shock mounts bending and having to be straightened.
Rear tires are wearing out.

Overall thoughts...I love this RC! It is tough. It has been run over numerous times on the track by 1/8 buggies and truggies and never gets hurt. The bumper and knuckle where broke running on a 1/8 scale track doing back flips and attempting front flips over a big triple. The shock caps broke pretty quick but that is a known issue and a cheap fix. The stock ESC cogs a little but its not bad. The brakes are a little too stout as well but a $30 Hobbywing 35 Amp ESC willl fix all of that. I installed one last night but haven't run it much yet. Really, the stock ESC is fine. I haven't had any real major issues. I think the Mini 8ight is a great RC for the money. I bash it in the yard and race it on the track and its a blast both places.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Good info, On the ofna parts tree did you use the links for the bottom of the shaft and the cap for the top? Any troubles with them since then?
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukescb7 View Post
Good info, On the ofna parts tree did you use the links for the bottom of the shaft and the cap for the top? Any troubles with them since then?
Yes. None whatsoever. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

After 7 1/2 months of hard bashing and racing it was time for a refresh so I ordered some parts and cleaned everything up.

Here is the list of mods as of now.
Blue RPM Ball Cups
Blue Lock Nuts
Phat Bodies Phat Head
Tacon 3900kv Motor
Robinson Racing 14 Tooth Pinion
Mud Guards
T-Bone Racing Front Bumper
T-Bone Racing Rear Skid
Gens Ace 1550mah 3s Lipo
Driven Productions Front Shock Tower
E-bay Wheels & Tires
Thick Grease in the Front Diff
White Lithium Grease in the Rear Diff
Drilled Shock Pistons
32 1/2 wt. Oil Front Shocks
30 Oil wt. Rear Shocks

I replaced the front shock tower because it had an s bend in it after crashes and trying to straightening it. Here is a shot of it and what the stock tires look like now.

Overall, I am still very happy with this rc. I think it is a great value for the money. You could order an RTR, put the Ofna shock parts on it, and a T-Bone front bumper and have a pretty bullet proof little car. I have found that most of the stock parts are fine except the shocks and front bumper. Of course lipos, especially 3s, makes it more fun.

Before the refresh I tried it out on a new carpet track in the area and won my first trophy. Hopefully it will be even better after the refresh.

Last edited by nascarkeith; 07-13-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #18

How's the 3900kv motor going? Any good? Sorry to bring back an old thread
Sna08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Sub'd for later use.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote

nascarkeith's Losi Mini 8ight - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post