Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Problems with a Grasshopper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Problems with a Grasshopper

This last Christmas I got my son his first hobby grade RC. A Tamiya Grasshopper. The problem we are having is after every run the transmission keeps coming apart (the differential gears on the spur gear). they keep popping out and then I have to tear it down and put them back in (the little spider gears on the big gear). Anyone else ever have this type of problem. I have built many RC in my time and never one that I have to repair every run, he is not super hard on it either. This time I cleaned the gears and gonna try a spot of CA to help keep them snapped into the spur gear(they are not solid, they will still spin and move like a open diff should work. Just gluing the metal shafts the gear rides on). Any ideas? Thanks......
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Problems with a Grasshopper

Did you buy this as kit? Have you checked over the gear good to see if any pieces are broken or missing? Are all of the pieces there? If it was a kit you can check the manual to make sure all the parts are there. I had a grasshopper a long time ago but never had any issues with it very reliable. It seems that something is in wrong or missing to have this happen.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It was a kit and I have been through this thing a bunch. No missing parts. Simple transmission. 3 bevel gears, a spur gear, and a counter gear (motor). The thing runs great until it gets ran for a bit, then the bevel gears pop out and the spur gear just spins. Everything looks good and the bevel gears pop back into place. It kinda acts like there is too much play on the spur and doesnt hold the bevel gears (where the metal pieces snap into place).
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Maybe try to see if you can add some shims to try and tighten the contact area.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Problems with a Grasshopper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Grasshopper!! (ya thats right a grasshopper) cguit Non Crawler RC's 13 09-08-2015 07:34 PM
Grasshopper ZZRguy Axial SCX-10 3 07-12-2015 12:19 PM
FX-10 Grasshopper dasbeermeister Non Crawler RC's 3 12-25-2012 08:41 PM
You have much to learn, Grasshopper 860Crawler Non Crawler RC's 24 08-05-2009 06:17 PM
Slash Vs Grasshopper..... STANG KILLA SS Non Crawler RC's 14 11-13-2008 09:28 PM