Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Duratrax vw bug, most fun since my first scx10!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Duratrax vw bug, most fun since my first scx10!!

Hi all, just wanted to share my newest addition to the addicting rc collection. I've always been into rc since a kid and got out of them, fast forward to grown up with a job lol and I'm back. Started with the scx10 honcho and dingo, now I wanted a fun rig to bash around relatively inexpensively and this is what I found. With a good lipo battery, this thing is a blast!!!

After closer inspection it appears that it is relatively strong with a slight "give" in the plastic a-arms, shock towers ect... Tires could def be stickier, but do get better. They're softer from a few runs on asphalt. Could use some slightly heavier shock oil and springs. Over all am impressed and would love to pick up another one.

Thanks to gimpdiggity for the info and experience of this rig before I bought it. Truly a reason why I hang around these forums, great info and answers to many questions from reputable, knowledgable folks on here!!
Attached Images

Kykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Duratrax vw bug, most fun since my first scx10!!

Update: after a few weeks of bashing, the bug has only suffered one breakage. Couple of days ago while it was raining, I slid it into a safety cone and the upper outside link (ball and cup design) popped out of the left knuckle. At the same time that it was coming to a rest, the driveshaft decided to come out also. I hadn't noticed until closer inspection that the driveshaft has small helper springs to keep the shaft centered between the inner and outer cups. These springs were nowhere to be found so I had to come up with a solution. Then It hit me, pen spring!! I work at a dealership and part of that is a massive supply of cheap bic pens. I clipped half of one spring, then halfed that one making perfect little helper springs for the driveshaft.

I then had to correct the stud that kept pulling out and causing this problem. So I swapped an sxc10 end link and installed it on the end of the factory turnbuckle and then socket head bolt through the knuckle and a nut on the other side. Geometry is the same on both sides. lol
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I like the look of those things. I used to have a evader and the plastic on it was almost unbreakable. It needs some paddles.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, yea I like the old school vw bug look also. It was rtr but part of me wished it was a clear body to make it more unique lol.

The tires on it are fun, just barely any useable traction but it also makes it fun to try and control. Paddle tires would def make this thing grip.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Plus you cant go wrong with a bug with paddles Do they sell clear bodys for it? And does it have duratrax's brushless system?

Edit- Any pics of he back? I wanna see how detailed the motor is if you dont mind.

Last edited by Lukescb7; 12-14-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Nope, no brushless system but it is a 19t and waterproof. It's actually a really good esc for the price.

I could find a Parma or pro line buggy body but personally they don't look the same, this one just fits. I've actually been thinking of doing a short course truck body. Undecided since I like the classic looks. Lol

I'll snap a pic when I get home from work.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Here ya go Luke.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Wow, thats pretty detailed, does it have 2.2 rims and tires?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

It was, I thought so too. I believe they are 1.9, not 100% sure though. If I wasn't into my tube crawler project right now it would get aluminum rear hubs and some wheels and tires.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

they kind of look like SC stuff. Are the inside of the rims more low profile than the outer?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

i need a little baja buggy
andrew_deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Yea, they are. A friend had some new wheel/tire combo for the slash and I was going to try them on this buggy but I never got the chance. He sold the truck. They had the same set up.

Andrew, I highly recommend this duratrax bug if your in the market for one, super affordable if you compare to practically anything available right now. I've had nothing but good times with this since I got it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

so is 1.9 ,2.2 or 2.2/3.0 setup ?? i got confused
CamposZac96x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I'm not sure what the technical term is, but they are the offset size inside vs outside. The outside of the wheel looks like a 1.9 wheel, then in the inside, it's larger. Hard to explain, kinda like a stadium truck rim/tire you would run on a slash or similar set up. I'll take a pic when I get home to help.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Just got one of these for Christmas and I love it. My only complaint is the bearing is in the rim and the drive shafts use pins (like Tamiya CC01) instead of hexes. Anyone find a replacement part or mod? so we can use standard rims with hexes? Thanks

Fresh out of the box

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 01-22-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I know what you mean, I have some wheels and tires Id like to run but I can't... Not until I find a solution. I will however replace the rear knuckles with aluminum ones. Everything else I've had good luck with. May I make a suggestion and run lipo in it... It will scream! Lol. I'm at about 40% tread left in the rears because of lipo lol....hope your having as much fun with yours as I am with mine!!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kykrawler View Post
I know what you mean, I have some wheels and tires Id like to run but I can't... Not until I find a solution. I will however replace the rear knuckles with aluminum ones. Everything else I've had good luck with. May I make a suggestion and run lipo in it... It will scream! Lol. I'm at about 40% tread left in the rears because of lipo lol....hope your having as much fun with yours as I am with mine!!
I run a 2s lipo 5000mah in mine and I have yet to run it outside but it was crazy fast in my living room! lol

I tried using some spare Hexes I had in my parts bin that accommodate the pins but the diameter of the hole was to small. I tried to drill them out a little but unless they are drilled perfectly center the wheels will wobble. Still looking for a solution because I have a spare set of 1.9's steel beedlocks (TF2 RC4WD) that would be perfect for this buggy. I am thinking of emailing Duratrax and see if they will make a upgrade part.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
I run a 2s lipo 5000mah in mine and I have yet to run it outside but it was crazy fast in my living room! lol

I tried using some spare Hexes I had in my parts bin that accommodate the pins but the diameter of the hole was to small. I tried to drill them out a little but unless they are drilled perfectly center the wheels will wobble. Still looking for a solution because I have a spare set of 1.9's steel beedlocks (TF2 RC4WD) that would be perfect for this buggy. I am thinking of emailing Duratrax and see if they will make a upgrade part.
not sure if you're interested but rc4wd makes a pin style hub for those wheels... at least for the older oem steelies.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
not sure if you're interested but rc4wd makes a pin style hub for those wheels... at least for the older oem steelies.
I have a set on my CC-01 Unimog The only issue with that is they will most likely bind because the bearing is in the rim (front wheels) instead of on the shaft.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

That's funny you say that because I too have a set of 1.55 from tf2 that I wanna run on it! Lol now you got me thinking, I may go home and try to figure this one out... And yea with the lipo you'll be happy once you get it outside lol... If it hooks on good concrete, it'll ride some killer wheelies...

Duratrax vw bug, most fun since my first scx10!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[VIDEO] 1:10 Duratrax Baja Bug Mudding and Swimming at Tampines Quarry boolean21 Non Crawler RC's 0 11-12-2012 03:09 AM
[VIDEO] OFNA Hyper 10 TT and Duratrax Baja Bug having a little fun at the skate park boolean21 Non Crawler RC's 1 11-02-2012 08:38 AM
[VIDEO] Duratrax Baja Bug's Adventures at Woodgrove Ave - A bug playing on the sand boolean21 Chit Chat 0 10-07-2012 06:40 PM
Axial Scx10 and Duratrax Scale Run ebbet Scale Videos! 3 01-28-2010 09:01 PM