Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Tow Rigs and trailer setups...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2021, 11:08 PM   #1

Default Tow Rigs and trailer setups...

I am new to the forum and I am pretty sure I ended up on the correct thread but if I didn't I apologize.

I have been in the hobby for a little while (about 5 years) and never really considered any kind of trailer or tow rig. Well, as many know things can change rather quickly and the local hobby shop got in a trailer kit with lights and all of that which kind of sparked my interest because I haven't really seen a whole bunch of trailers and I like to try new things. Long story short I ended up with a fully built trailer but no tow rig. As luck would have it, the next day they got in the CEN F450 dually. I was lucky enough to manage to pick one of the four up before they flew off the shelves.

I find myself trying to scale it out a bit... If I'm going to go down that road I may as well go all out. My main issue is trying to find compatible parts to "upgrade" the truck. It actually pulls plenty in stock form. I was more interested in modifying ride height and I ended up finding a few videos on youtube about RC airride kits but none of them seem to be available or they are just overly expensive for something I feel could be fabricated at a fraction of the cost.

Has anyone attempted this? It seems as if most of the information I have found was from a couple of years ago and all of the links I found (even for the pricey kits) were either dead ends or the website was no longer up.

Any input would be great. To be honest I will likely end up slamming this thing to the ground since it is more of a novelty than useful. Just thought "scraping frame" would be kind of fun... especially if I could adjust it on the fly.

Thanks in advance for any input. If I can figure out how to I will add a couple of pictures.
Galestinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2021, 02:02 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Tow Rigs and trailer setups...

If I had one, the first thing I would do is switch to leaf springs out back and coilovers up front- just like real F450. It’s not like you’re hurting performance by doing that. Then you could easily add lift blocks to it to raise it. The front would be just adjusting the shock collar depending on how high you go in the rear.

The second thing I would do is peel all the cheap looking stickers off and do that body justice. 3D print a correct F450 grille, headlights, taillights, door handles, etc. that alone would really make it look great. Chop off that hideous paint to match offroad bumper and put a factory one on. Offroad bumpers and 22” wheels don’t mix. Idk what they were thinking lol. Then probably 3D print some wheels to fit on those tires to get a much more appealing wheel and get rid of the Forces. Oh and gotta have a stack since it is a 6.7.

Then, build a trailer and tow away.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 04-10-2021 at 02:07 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tow Rigs and trailer setups...

I looked up the truck on CEn's website, and it looks like a typical scale crawler chassis. There would be no issues running the stock suspension. It will collapse the stock springs and a solution I have used is to put a solid rubber block between the axle housing and the chassis so the suspension is not bottomed out.

Gearing is going to be the only other thing that might worry me. Gear it as low as possible to keep the heat down when pulling...

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:23 PM   #4

I probably should have been more clear... I was looking to lower it. But it seems that won't matter anymore depending on what happens tomorrow. A customer at the hobby shop I am employed at actually saw the truck and made me a pretty solid offer. Kinda hard to turn down almost double what I paid.

Thank you for the replies though. If the deal falls through I am definitely going to wild out on it.

Also, I already assembled a trailer that holds my scx10.2 pretty well. I was using my trx4 to pull it around and it ended up burning the factory brushed motor in the truck, and I picked up the Hobbywing AXE 2100kv system. I will just use that until another dually comes along.
Galestinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:27 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galestinian View Post
I probably should have been more clear... I was looking to lower it. But it seems that won't matter anymore depending on what happens tomorrow. A customer at the hobby shop I am employed at actually saw the truck and made me a pretty solid offer. Kinda hard to turn down almost double what I paid.

Thank you for the replies though. If the deal falls through I am definitely going to wild out on it.

Also, I already assembled a trailer that holds my scx10.2 pretty well. I was using my trx4 to pull it around and it ended up burning the factory brushed motor in the truck, and I picked up the Hobbywing AXE 2100kv system. I will just use that until another dually comes along.

Update on this?

Also, post some pictures up of your trailer! I’d love to take a look at it. I’m going to be building one to pull my 10.2 around also.

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow rig cen f450 trailer

Tow Rigs and trailer setups... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow rigs.? Greendeadbolt18 Newbie General 3 02-07-2017 08:49 PM
Tow Rigs mHoups General Scale Talk 6 02-04-2017 09:49 PM
tow rigs? who has em? post up! aircruiser General Scale Talk 9 03-07-2011 08:56 PM
tow rigs was up89 General Scale Talk 0 12-21-2008 06:53 PM
For those of you with tow rigs. ThatKid Chit Chat 4 02-06-2007 04:21 PM