LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2023, 11:52 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Porsche 917 1/10 3s Street&Drift

My new 1/10 4wd build for Street Bashing on Foams and Rubber wheels. On 3s
I will also Drift this sometimes with hard Plastic drift wheels outside. On 2s

Bought this Roller. No Electronics.

I have change to Foam wheels also

My personal Favorite Historic Race Car is the Porsche 917 Gulf Racing car.

I try do something similiar with my RC Car In modern way.
I have order Gulf and Porsche sticker set.
i have also all Electronics now to this.

This is how the Real Original Car looks

And this is my RC 1/10 Brushless , in modern way.
I need wait for the stickers and couple other things to arrive.

So far:

It has dual led lights front, rear led

I will install 80a 3s Brushless ESC and 3660 3300kv 3s Motor.
Cooling fans. I do also have 4s combo to this.
Anyways i have regret use 4s in this. I dont like to kill it
Looking just for decent 60mph. Have it long lasting and stable.

Gyro receiver with lightcontroll dumbo, dumbo 6ch radio,
15kg digital servo.

This will be alot more fun and modern, also better than those
Tamiya TT01-02 and Kyosho Fazer / HPI

Spurgear is covered also. Great for outdoor drifting at 2s

Alot adjustments is possible, there is alot options to buy also.

3660 motor and 80a ESC will run with good temps i believe with single
cooling fan. The smal 3650 ones usually runs too hot for my taste in 4wd cars hot summer days.

My plans from beginning use my 4s Combo 120a ESC and 3665 3250kv motor.
In this Porsche Project, after thinking about that seriously it would be total --overkill. To this light weight TC 1/10 car. 3s will be perfect i think.
And 2s with Driftwheels, do some powerslides at low speeds.

I will have my 4s combo to my other car i will
buy next month. One 1/10 offroad 4wd Truggy with 2.8 wheels

More pictures and info after i have mount electronics, and got the
stickers on the body.

I believe i will do first test run Wednesday this week with my new 917

This got decent ground clearence also , 11mm So it will do fine at streets

I have also one cool 1/10 4wd Rally Car project going on. I did preorder that Rally car 2months ago. It will arrive in 2-3weeks.
One special new one, not many know about. Nice one

Last edited by Jjay; 05-22-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Jjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Porsche 917 1/10 3s Street&Drift

That looks fantastic! Kit looks durable, and the body looks excellent!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You'll definitely enjoy it. Although Rlaarlo's customer service is worse than horrible, the car, itself, is excellent. Tho, understand that, technically, it's not a 'TC'...the AK-917 was designed probably as a speedrun chassis. Hopefully, considering your for the aluminum costs version, as opposed to the CF version, you either already received, or will be ordering, certain upgrade parts - specifically, the CF shock towers, the steel center driveshaft (and other parts needed for the steel center), and aluminum uprights & steering knuckles, and the CF brace.

I've been "playing around with" mine (CF RTR, bus will be upgrading/replacing electronics soon...tho, not for Rlaarlo's 'speedrun challenge') for almost three weeks now. Honestly, I'm quite impressed with the materials quality...but, as for the build quality, I would HIGHLY recommend you go over everything. Between myself, and others, here are just some of the 'problems' discovered: shocks only partially filled and/or not properly bled, diffs only partially filled, diff ring gears not greased, screws not properly tightened, metal-into-metal screws without Loctite. Again, these are just some of the things discovered.

As for mine, it's also been given the Gulf Racing 'treatment'. Enjoy.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
That looks fantastic! Kit looks durable, and the body looks excellent!
Yes it looks really great, and i believe this will be alot better than those
old TT01 and TT02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
You'll definitely enjoy it. Although Rlaarlo's customer service is worse than horrible, the car, itself, is excellent. Tho, understand that, technically, it's not a 'TC'...the AK-917 was designed probably as a speedrun chassis. Hopefully, considering your for the aluminum costs version, as opposed to the CF version, you either already received, or will be ordering, certain upgrade parts - specifically, the CF shock towers, the steel center driveshaft (and other parts needed for the steel center), and aluminum uprights & steering knuckles, and the CF brace.

I've been "playing around with" mine (CF RTR, bus will be upgrading/replacing electronics soon...tho, not for Rlaarlo's 'speedrun challenge') for almost three weeks now. Honestly, I'm quite impressed with the materials quality...but, as for the build quality, I would HIGHLY recommend you go over everything. Between myself, and others, here are just some of the 'problems' discovered: shocks only partially filled and/or not properly bled, diffs only partially filled, diff ring gears not greased, screws not properly tightened, metal-into-metal screws without Loctite. Again, these are just some of the things discovered.

As for mine, it's also been given the Gulf Racing 'treatment'. Enjoy.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Great info to know.
Same thing with my Arrma Limitless Roller diff oils low and other things.
I will check this out. Great you told me this.
Arrma i did know can have QC issues. So i have fix everything before first run.

Have you any info what oils is used stock in this AK917?

iM thinking change to new oils.
17500cst front
and 5000cst rear

Any recommend shock oils? i have from 650 to 2000cst many different
shock oils. I did buy 10 different cst shock oil bottles at crazy 60% sale couple months ago.

This 1/10 AK917 is very light weight compared to Arrma 1/7 where i use 50k-200k cst oils in diff, and 2000cst in shocks.

You are going al in with this AK917?
what combo you will have?

Gulf stickers looks so good on this.

I will keep my AK917 at budget level.
I did pay 129$ for the roller chassis.
Find cheap ESC and Motor from Aliexpress, 80a ESC 22$ motor about
same, programmercard 8$
Servo 12$
Foams are professional racing 26$ all four.
Dumbo gyro receiver with lightcontroller 10$

Total so far : about 210$
Stickers, and couple other things. I will have it less than 250$

3300kv 3s parking lot bashing dont need more than this.
iM happy with 55-60mph, i can gear 3660 motor with 80a ESC decent too
without extreme temps.

I will buy Delta Plastic 917 body to my Limitless 1/7.
I have 8s in this. It is one Monster.

I need something simple and light weight just for fun, easy carry in bag
and be able drive at smal Parking lot near.

Limitless needs huge areas. This is the car i do speeding with.
This 1/10 is mean to be Budget, light weight, easy carry. Have many
places near drive it for fun only. Nothing serious like the Limitless 8s.

Have you done this Shock limiter trick ? Because you will run it fast i think soon ?

Here is one 145mph run with AK917 1/10

Old 05-22-2023, 04:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

these seem neat platforms...but I'm a bit biased towards a 917
cooper_xl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:02 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

@Jjay The stock fluids area 500cst in the shocks, and 20K in the diffs. I left the rear stock, but the front is now 100K. Remember, I'll be using mine for speed runs, as opposed to TC, drifting, or bashing. That's the reason for the extra-thick diff fluid up front.

As for the shocks, not doing limiters...but, only because I swapped the Rlaarlo shocks for the all-aluminum, threaded collar, shocks from my 4Tec 3.0. As is turns out, the AK-917 & 4Tec 3.0 shocks have the same extended length...but, whereas the AK-917 shocks have 11.25mm of compression, the 4Tec 3.0 shocks have 6.5mm, thus the chassis doesn't "bottom out" into the ground.

Regarding electronics, since I'll be running 3S & 4S, I'll probably stick work a motor kv close to the stock 3900kv...but, as for ESC, although I'd like to go work the Castle Mamba X (due to its smaller size), it looks as of I'm probably going to have to go with the Mamba Monster X (which is approx the same dimensions as the currently installed ESC). Will also of in a better servo. As the CF chassis comes with stiffer carbon-lined tires, rated for much higher speeds than the tires on the aluminum chassis versions, I'll stick with those for now (besides, as reported by others, they seem to have a very long life)...but, as speed increase, I'll probably switch to foams. Finally, I'll be replacing the 48P pinion & spur gears with Mod1 gears.

So far, some have achieved speeds up to approx 145mph. Have no clue what I'll eventually reach work the AK-917...but, in the long-run, I'm sure my Limitless (which I haven't even started building up) will achieve even faster speeds. As much as I luv the 917 body, I'm also looking into other body options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper_xl View Post
these seem neat platforms...but I'm a bit biased towards a 917
In this case, being biased is 1,000% acceptable.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Panther6834

Thank you for great info again. Very helpfull.
Thos 4tec 3.0 shocks sounds great. Maybe rlaarlo should do them like this.
Maybe they do in future, if they make one V2.

You have that nice Carbon version, you have great driveline in that stock, that car is worts build some serious , M1 gearing and Castle ESC will be awsome in that.

Delta Plastic have som good speedrun bodies that are strong also.
D-P is what professional speedrunners use always.

I regret that i did not order two cars, also that carbon. I need one alu because i drive at streets also and there is alot smal stones at some places.
The Carbon is nice at clean spots.
Pre sale prices was very cheap.

iM waiting now too see what the new coming Rlaarlo Desert Truck 1/12 is. Can be fun basher , just outside house.

In this group they sell special red a arms to ak917, with speedrun in mind , and other colors
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rlaa...0787269536210/
Old 05-23-2023, 11:49 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjay View Post
Panther6834

Thank you for great info again. Very helpfull. Thos 4tec 3.0 shocks sounds great. Maybe rlaarlo should do them like this. Maybe they do in future, if they make one V2.

Delta Plastic have som good speedrun bodies that are strong also. D-P is what professional speedrunners use always.

In this group they sell special red a arms to ak917, with speedrun in mind, and other colors.
Regarding the shocks, it's possible, but I'm doubting it. As for the DP bodies, already had two in mind.

Looking at those rear lower arms, personally, I'm going to avoid them. First, what you see are just CAD images...he hasn't actually produced any. Second, being that they will be 3D printed, I, personally, wouldn't trust them. 3D printed parts are great when it comes to 'non-moving' parts, and they can even be very good when used for minorly-moving parts...but, for something involving high speeds, I certainly wouldn't trust 3D printed suspension arms. There's a very good probably layers could separate at speed, and that would be devastating to the entire vehicle. Additionally, tolerances (extremely important for speedrun vehicles) are not as well controlled in 3D printing.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Regarding the shocks, it's possible, but I'm doubting it. As for the DP bodies, already had two in mind.

Looking at those rear lower arms, personally, I'm going to avoid them. First, what you see are just CAD images...he hasn't actually produced any. Second, being that they will be 3D printed, I, personally, wouldn't trust them. 3D printed parts are great when it comes to 'non-moving' parts, and they can even be very good when used for minorly-moving parts...but, for something involving high speeds, I certainly wouldn't trust 3D printed suspension arms. There's a very good probably layers could separate at speed, and that would be devastating to the entire vehicle. Additionally, tolerances (extremely important for speedrun vehicles) are not as well controlled in 3D printing.

Oh yeas, i indeed 100% with you. These can be very bad.
These parts should be molded in one piece.

3D printed stuff are good in offroad, flex wingmount, bumper mounts
and things like you said.

Not worth risking the car with these 3d printed arms when i start to
think about it. These needs to be one mold parts.

Im shure there will be options soon, from Rlaarlo or someone other.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:26 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Im shure there will be options soon, from Rlaarlo or someone other.
My guess is, IF there are higher quality parts (Rlaarlo's own aluminum parts area only 6061, NOT the 7075 they should be) made available, they will come from 3rd-party sources.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:26 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

yeah i believe so too.

I am almost ready to drive this first time.
10minutes left 3s lipo charging.

I did check everything, and added som blue lock tite.

Out soon try it. Little bit nervous HAHAHA
Old 05-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Now i have run it one pack.
And im very happy i did buy this car. It is very good. Handling is awsome with Foams. I have 40t pinion and i did change to the medium size spur.
This alu version you need 45t pinion to use the 52t spur.
I will buy the 45t pinion , stay with the medium spur i have now.

Need little more speed. I believe it does about 50mph now 3s with 3300kv 3s , 80a ESC.
with 5t more on pinion it will be about 56-57mph then. And this will be the sweet spot for me personally at the place i drive now near my house.

Alu chassis is a little bit scratched, so good i did buy the Alu version. I need it here when i like drive near my house at one parking lot that is not 100%.

Handling is superb, goes straight like a bullet. I have gyro at about 20%.

The body is very low and tight, there is NO AIR at all. I need have cooling fan to motor, and make a fan at the rear in the body like the CF version got.
Never seen a car that is so tight inside before. Fans is 100% needed.
After about 10minutes fast bashing i got heat cut off. Close the car 1minute, and on again, it did max speed again. Feel the heat was pretty high.
Gear mesh and everything else is 100% . This is just because the body dont allow any air come in stock in alu version.

I will mount cooling fan now on the body and near the motor. And drive one more pack soon.

To others who buy roller.
Buy 3660 motor, maybe 3900kv. 3300kv is decent, anyways if you are good driver, this car has awsome handling with foams, go with faster motor is my advice.
And make shure you buy 2pc High speed cooling fans. 30mm top of body rear, and one also to the motor.

Overall very happy
Motor less then 25$ shipped from aliexpress. ESC same. Programmer card was less than 10$

15kg digital servo is perfect, goes super straight, stock is 9kg i believe in RTR. Go with 15kg, and foams are truly great at asphalt also.
I like them better than rubber. Also when bashing.
36-38 Shore is what i have. 30mm rear, 26mm front. I do drive my Team Magic TC Car this way also on asphalt. Bashing with foams, i like it better than rubber to be honest,
Foam Tires last about 7-10 packs normally in 1/10 TC rigs outside at Parking lot asphalt
Old 05-25-2023, 02:38 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I really love this car.

Cooling fans made big difference.
Runs pretty cool now

It is alot better than TT01-02 , Fazer, HPI and others.
I highly recommend this car if you like to do Parking Lot without strip spurgear.
Also it have decent ground clearence. Handling is Sick. Atleast this Alu roller version with gyro, 15kg digital servo,
3300kv 3s. Foams 30mm rear, 26mm front. And buy two 30mm coolingfans also.
Biggest pinion from box, and the medium size spur.
It comes stock with the big spur. You should change this right away to the medium one.

You need use heat because red lock tite at the diff output rear, after this the spur gear change takes some time to do.
There is about 12pc screws you must take off. This is easy done with electric tool anyways.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:46 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

For mine (again, CF chassis, but these can also be applied to aluminum chassis...tho, doing so would require replacing the plastic brace (which is garbage) with the CF brace), I'm prepping to do 4 mods - replace stock battery tray (which limits pack sizes, especially height) with CF battery tray that uses straps; reposition servo on top of brace (thus the reason for needing the CF brace), which will allow ESC to be moved forward, as well as allowing larger ESCs to be used; reposition the ESC further forward (into the stock servo's 'space'), to allow longer motors to be used; and, finally, replace the 48P spur & pinion with Mod1 gears.

Others have done these mods, but not in the way I'll be doing them (which, once done, I will also cover on the Ninth Island RC YouTube channel). For those I've seen who've repositioned the servo, they've done so by custom fabricating a mount. To make it easier for others, my goal is to do it using a mass-produced mount that only requires very minor modification (ie. two 3mm holes to be drilled through the main mount plate). Same goes for how I plan to reposition the ESC - make it easy for others to do the same. As for the gearing, the stock 48P gears are (mostly) fine for 'bashing'...although, switching to 32P would be better/smarter...but, fire speedrunning, 32P should be the 'minimum' pitch (for 1/10 cars), while Mod1 is the better/smarter choice. Swapping gears is the easy part...getting the Loctite off (Rlaarlo used a LOT) is the difficult part.

The battery trays (I ordered 2, so that I'll have a 'backup') are being delivered today...but, since none of the other mods have been ordered (tho, I'll be ordering the servo mount today, from Amain), I won't be converting these mods until they've all been delivered.

Old 05-25-2023, 08:46 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Panther6834 sounds good, you should start build treadh here. would be nice to see and learn how you do it.

I have been thinking today alot about these AK917. I love them so much, i will buy the CF roller also
Not now, i will need wait 2months. Got other projects in RC i must do before i can buy this CF AK917.

48p is not the greatest, ok in 3300kv bashing. If you want faster motor you need 32p atleast.
MOD1 will be best and most easy. I have 30t Mod1 Tekno Pinion. This will be nice Spurgear.
Then i got alot other size Mod1 pinions from my 1/8 rigs. Anything from 16t to 28t more than 10pc different M1.

I did order new motor to this car today. 5mm axle. 3800kv 3s. I will do M1 mod later. And install the new motor then.

Here you can see Video how nice it Performs with Foams. The CF version that you have.
Crazy cool cars these AK917. Must have
https://youtu.be/ytfsNu4Wb7g

If this AK917 was done by Traxxas or HPI or some brand like them., The price would been minium 650$ RTR, maybe 699$

I must say this is one of the best deals out there still. Nothing comes close these.

Please start build treadh when you have parts Panther6834. We all must see one Brutal CF version here soon from you
Old 05-25-2023, 10:03 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Not sure I'll be doing a build thread...I've kinda "given up" on those. Now saying I won't...just not sure. I will, however, cover everything on my YouTube channel. I just ordered the servo mount & servo, so those should be on their way by tomorrow (possibly today).

Regarding the Mod1 gears, due to limited space between the rear gearbox & motor mount, most won't fit...too thick, in the tooth and/or shoulder sections. One brand that had been determined to fit are the 5mm Mod1 pinions from SagaCustomRC. All of their 5mm pinions are slightly thinner in the tooth area...and, with the exception of the 23T & 24T pinions (which have thicker/longer shoulders, like the 8mm pinions), the shoulders are also thinner. Obviously, in order to use these as a 'pinion', you'll need a motor with 5mm shaft, not 1/8" (ie. 3.175mm).

Old 05-25-2023, 12:31 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not sure I'll be doing a build thread...I've kinda "given up" on those. Now saying I won't...just not sure. I will, however, cover everything on my YouTube channel. I just ordered the servo mount & servo, so those should be on their way by tomorrow (possibly today).

Regarding the Mod1 gears, due to limited space between the rear gearbox & motor mount, most won't fit...too thick, in the tooth and/or shoulder sections. One brand that had been determined to fit are the 5mm Mod1 pinions from SagaCustomRC. All of their 5mm pinions are slightly thinner in the tooth area...and, with the exception of the 23T & 24T pinions (which have thicker/longer shoulders, like the 8mm pinions), the shoulders are also thinner. Obviously, in order to use these as a 'pinion', you'll need a motor with 5mm shaft, not 1/8" (ie. 3.175mm).

Yeah my are 5mm.
You have any Tekno Pinion? Maybe you can compare them with Saga?
Sad thing is i dont live in US.
Saga pinions is hard for me.

If you have youtube channel it is better actually than Build treadhs

Please link to your channel here when you have something with
AK917. Videos are always best watch to learn the easy way
Old 05-25-2023, 12:38 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You have any Tekno Pinion? Maybe you can compare them with Saga? Please link to your channel here when you have something with

AK917. Videos are always best watch to learn the easy way
Unfortunately, don't have any Tekno pinions. As for YouTube channel, search "Ninth Island RC":

https://www.youtube.com/@ninthislandrc?app=desktop

Old 05-25-2023, 02:02 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Videos are always best watch to learn the easy way
PM sent.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Here is Pinions M1 i will try

sorry for bad photo, i will take better when i install

to left, gold rlaarlo 48p 52 spur, and 30t M1 Tekno pinion 5mm i will use
as Spur to this Rlaarlo ak917

To right, the smaller 35t rlaarlo pinion that is stock in the box. and
Tekno m1 pinion 21t 5mm, this is little bit bigger,

I believe, not 100%sure, that these fits well actually, and can be ok maybe
New motor 3800kv 5mm and these gears i will try install everything
in less than 2days from now.

30t is little bit bigger than the 52t so it should be perfect
52t spurgear is too smal in this alu version. Not matching the 40t pinion

I have also bigger and smaller pinions many.
30T m1 5mm as spur looks good for me.

Porsche 917 1/10 3s Street&Drift - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro street/drift car questions.. KBR97 Non Crawler RC's 11 02-25-2015 08:03 PM