Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Outside the US

Notices

Thread: AX-10 Bronco goes (semi) scale!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default AX-10 Bronco goes (semi) scale!

So i had so much fun at the meet at websters falls, I thought it might be time to put a little effort into the AX. I was rolling with my stock AX-10 under the ProLine CGR bronco body at the meet, and It did pretty good.

I ordered a Grey colour kit, some proline eight shooters, picked up some ultra soft flat irons with memory foam and threw it all together. I decided that it still wasn't quite where i wanted, so i fabbed up a rail frame from stock aluminum that bolts on to the Axial Frame. Added a front proline western bumper (rear coming). I left the suspension as is, because I like how well the AX-10 crawls.

What I wound up with was a semi-scale looking bronco that crawls like a demon. I am thinking of adding rear steering just for something to do, as I won't be competing in anything any time soon. I posted in the other forum because i"m not sure where everyone hangs out.. Let me know what you guys think! Can't wait for the next meet that's within driving distance

Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looks good And it crawled pretty darn good too if I remember corectly
DV8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Hey Arctic, good lookin rig! As I posted at londonrc.com any idea if your rig would be legal for a scale comp like was supposed to happen at Webster's last time? I do like the flex of my MRC and a 10th scale flexing that much would be pretty cool. It would also be fun to run in a comp. Any idea if a rig has to have a 1:1 style frame to qualify for a scale comp? You seem to like the AX10, would you buy it again or is the Wraith a contender? Questions, questions!
Wildcat(Mart)

Oh ya, those frame rails, are they just to attach the bumpers or do they have another use?

Last edited by 4WDwannabe; 11-01-2011 at 08:10 PM.
4WDwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

F-L-E-X!!!

VID-20111102-00102.mp4 video by wildcat0101 - Photobucket
Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hey Mart,

I imagine I wouldn't be able to do scale comps (i installed rear steering now) and I am not sure what the restrictions are. Maybe a more experienced member can chime in?

The frame rails right now will just be holding the bumpers front and back on, they are made of stock aluminum 1/8 inch with as many holes drilled into them as I could to reduce weight. They weigh practically nothing now but are very strong. I was considering moving the shocks out onto them too, but not sure how that would work. I sprayed them with rubberized undercoating from canadian tire.. worked amazing.. they have texture and wont chip or scratch.. the rubberized coating just kinda "moves" when you try to scratch it.

I was interested in the AX-10 from the start, Just for the proline CGR bodies. I love the way they look on the AX, like a 1:1 bogger truck with huge tires. The crawling ability of this rig is way better then a SCX, but less then that of an AX-10 Tuber or wraith. it's my "best of both worlds" philosiphy. I changed to a 15t pinion since webster's, which gives me a fast walking pace. The new tires are pretty amazing too, and I would love to get back to webster's to try it out again.

The only issue I have now is body roll under hard/quick acceleration. i stuck a 1.9 tire in the spare tire well to try to keep weight down, but the whole shell, rails and bumpers makes the rig roll from side to side a little too much. I am experimenting with spacers in the shocks now to try to combat this. If I run without the spare tire, it's great!

The nice thing is that the frame rails pop on and off with 8 screws, maybe 30 seconds, allowing me to switch to my "crawler cut" body and do some serious crawiling while out on the trail. I think I have found a perfect set up for me, allowing me to hang out/crawl with the scale guys and then switch to a strictly crawling rig when I am home. And with cheapo- but decent- 2075 traxxas waterproof servos and a stampede w/p radio box, i can submerge through creeks and streams.. which I love doing.

I heard that the wraith is waterproof too though, and I do like the look of the buggy chassis... so if i hadn't have found such a killer deal on this AX10 roller, It would have been a very hard decision.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Diamond geologist? Cool! Do those qualifications help examine a difficult line through a rock pile? Do certain types of rock exhibit different traction characteristics? LoL
That rubberized coating is a great idea.

I like the "best of both worlds" idea but I thought an AX10 would crawl better than a Wraith being a crawler and all. Did Axial "do it" and blend the 2 worlds?

With my MRC I had some body roll, this sucker would flip over in a stiff wind. I used the Ride Wide kit which pushes each wheel out an inch. Big difference.

So you chose the Flat Irons, are they all soft compound or are the RTR tires a stiffer compound? They were my second choice, I went with the Rovers and they are much better than the stock Losi rubber.

It would be nice if a regular body would fit on a Wraith, I have a Unimog body I've been wanting to use. I have some neat ideas for it, a cool light bar on the roof etc. Be good on an SCX10. Ha ha! And around it goes!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yeah my job rocks. Get it? huh? yeah thats lame. I could talk for days about rocks!

This is what I drive daily about kilometer under the ground.. some real 1:1 crawling the terrain underground would be outta control for crawling, but I don't think I can play with toys at work. It might be frowned upon.

Someday I'll do a scale of one of these, but i need to find a cab that matches.. They're land cruisers, I know that much, but not much else!?!

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 11-07-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Any idea what year Land Cruiser? it looks newer, like less that 10years old, tho I don't know my newer Cruisers. I really like the older ones, I had a chance to buy an early 70s one that looks like a Jeep for $500 some years ago but someone snapped it up. They are pretty sweet.
How long do you go to the Arctic for at a time? Must be cold brrrrrrr.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

2 weeks work,2 weeks off.. which equates to 2 of fooling around. Can't beat the schedule.

.. and it's only -15 right now, balmy.