Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Glue for Newbright plastic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Glue for Newbright plastic?

I am building a TJ and I need to know what a good glue is that will bond with the newbright plastic bodies. If anyone has any ideas let me know. thanks
-Rick
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Assuming it's made of styrene or ABS, a plastic weld solvent containing dichloromethane is the best thing I've found. Should be available in any hobby store that sells plastic model kits.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm not sure if it's styrene though. anyone have any input?
thanks
-Rick
Old 07-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
tjb
Rock Crawler

Your best bet will be JB weld (not the quick set).. The plastic they use does not take well to anything but. An will hold but do nopt plan on it holding overly well if you beat on it.. use 60 grit sand paper to rough it up prior to gluing also...
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

plastruct bondene ?
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Your best bet will be JB weld (not the quick set).. The plastic they use does not take well to anything but. An will hold but do nopt plan on it holding overly well if you beat on it.. use 60 grit sand paper to rough it up prior to gluing also...

Isn't JB weld steel?? how would that work?

I was also wondering if model glue would work. It melts teh plastic together but I am not sure if it will last. Anyone have any ideas??
tanks
_Rick
Old 07-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion1967 View Post
It's a form of epoxy, it will bond just about anything together.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion1967 View Post

I was also wondering if model glue would work. It melts teh plastic together but I am not sure if it will last. Anyone have any ideas??
tanks
_Rick
If it's melting the plastic together then thats as close to welding it together as you're gonna get. Just give it plenty of time to cure.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation That make's two of us who'd like to know what a work

Yeah'- brotha' for I've got 4 1/6th scale newbright hard bodied hemi' pickup bodies and one yukon one to that the wife had cracked both the front wheel well's on and I gut'ed the widow's out of her custom painted deep candy purple with lime green flame's yukon bodied rig' based on Emaxx' part's and turned it into a descent 1/6th scale Scaler rig'. But,..I needed to find out what would work best for this type of plastic their made out of too. Old plastic model glue maybe work I figured. But you'd have to let it set for about two day's so you'd know it cure'd anuff to move on with thing's. I was thinking CA glue as well. This is a very good Idea as to asking everyone for their advice an tip's & trick's also brotha' And now I hope to see what most of the other brotha's are using too,___(I got a nice collection of 1/10 & 1/12th scale Hardbody's as well'. Just keep checking the goodwell' store's and the yardsale's too' for I find alot on neat old toy's that have some nice detailed body's apond them and the most I'd have to pay for one is about $3.00 + tax' and I just found a sweet 1/12th scale old ford bronco' bodied toy truck that would make a sweet 1.9' hard body. and I'd need to glue an dash' into it at least for now,___ol'Scoot'er.

Last edited by scootertrash; 07-24-2009 at 06:13 PM.
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I just built a tj-8 new bright body and bondene :-( testors:-( pvc cement:-( CA glue MASSIVE AMOUNTS so far so good I cut my jeep in half and stretched it 80 mil styrene and been wheelin it for about a month with no body breakage yet....
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
plastruct bondene ?
Currently using this on my jk / styrene construction - works fine ..smells good too...wait.
monstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
I just built a tj-8 new bright body and bondene :-( testors:-( pvc cement:-( CA glue MASSIVE AMOUNTS so far so good I cut my jeep in half and stretched it 80 mil styrene and been wheelin it for about a month with no body breakage yet....

I tried CA glue on teh last one but with my driving style it didn't last too long. I heard that Ambroid proweld works really good but I am not sure were to get it? anyone know of a source?
-Rick