Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Losi Grappler Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Losi Grappler Pro

A buddy true-fired my LCC body for me. Figured I'd share some pics.
Attached Images

killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Hot!

Great looking flame job. " Thats the devils ride to hell ".
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looking good!!!
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
RCC Addict

thanks for the compliments. I wish the pics did the paint job justice.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

did those flames come from the moter or the worms

looks awsome
rockslyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockslyder View Post
did those flames come from the moter or the worms

looks awsome
LOL neither. I took my time and broke everything in like it was a race car. I crawled with it yesterday in New Orleans by lake ponchittrain in 95 degree weather with a 35t and the motor never hit 125 degrees.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice paint job don't get it scratched up now.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default very nice

nice paint, did you have to back the yellow right away before the other colors to keep it so bright?

TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEGunn View Post
nice paint, did you have to back the yellow right away before the other colors to keep it so bright?

i didnt paint this one but i watched it get painted. its mostly done with House of Kolor candies. he started with a candy yellow he used just a bit of fasyellow once the candy yellow was done to make the ends of the top licks pop, then he used more candy yellow and a bit of candy orange for the background flames. after that it was candy red to build up the background red licks and to give it depth. there is no white used at all. once the flames were done the whole body was shot with black. Ive airbrushed for years and can true fire on the outside but i always over do it on lexan. the only parts that were masked were the carbon fiber on the panels by the roll bar and the panels on the back where the fan decals go. all of the flames were free handed using small carboard stencils. total paint time was probably 30 minutes tops. the trick to true fire is buliding the candies up in different shades to give the flames depth. he's also done green and blue flames on black and red, yellow and orange flames on red. you really want the background colors to show through so it looks like real flames. and sorry to say, its scratched up now... those pics were taken about 3 weeks ago.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

real flame paint jobs are sooooo sick looking. I want one with green flames.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That is one bad a** paint job...How can I get in touch with this buddy..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highhpcummins View Post
real flame paint jobs are sooooo sick looking. I want one with green flames.
when i get back to wv ill post some pics of the betty body he did for me in green flames. it has a wood grained bed and tons of chrome too. i know hes done paint for others... i can ask what he'd charge for one when i get back. I told him he needs to get on here and get a vendors star and start slinging lots of paint with me, but he's also my areas best tattoo artist so sometimes hes really busy doing custom tat art. he did another grappler pro in true fire like mine the same time he did mine and its just as sick... it will probably end up on ebay if someone doesnt buy it locally. i think the next true fire he does for me is gonna be a yellow red and orange flames over a nice heavy bass boat red flake.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

That look great. I need to find a friend like that .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
That look great. I need to find a friend like that .
it is nice lol he paints my true fire stuff and I build him motors so it works out nicely.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #15

You guys make some wicked bodies. Sure makes my good old two color racing stripe jobs look sad. Haha
mschaffer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
You guys make some wicked bodies. Sure makes my good old two color racing stripe jobs look sad. Haha
I used to do the same 2 color rattle can racing stripe paint jobs for the longest time then my dad bought me an airbrush about 20 years ago when I built lots of scale models. I started with the el cheapo testors kit that ran off of canned air and I used it for a long time. dont go that route. get a quality airbrush and a compressor with a tank on it and have your LHS get you some paint masks from xxx main or parma and start from there (the xxx main ones even com with transfer tape so you can apply the masks a lot easier in one piece instead of trying to deal with all of the little flame licks sticking together). most airbrush paint jobs are a lot easier than they look. most of it is learning how to shade or run a fade along the edge of a mask. Traditional hot rod style flames can be done with a rattle can, but if you use an airbrush to follow the edges with one color and then spray another color over that it looks like real hot rod flames. same thing with shading. sometimes all a paint job needs is a little smoke or black sprayed along the outside edge of your graphic masks before you spray your main body color to make the graphics stand out from the main color. its just like driving, the more you practice the better you get. I practiced when i started spraying lexan on the clear plastic package material that all kids of stuff comes packed in. Plus, if you use water based paint you can always wash it off easily before the paint drys if you really jack a paint job up bad.... One more thing, dont be too judgemental on yourself by nitpicking your paint jobs. I nitpick ever body I paint for flaws and when others see em they dont even pay attention to what i consider flaws.