Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Honcho RTR paint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Honcho RTR paint

Just got a couple honchos one is the rtr green. What's the best way to paint camo (browns and tans) on the body using the green thats already there? Does it need sanding if so what grit and paints? I do have a airbrush that I can dig out or just cut stencils and use rattle cans? Thanks
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Use google image search to find a camo pattern you like, print it, and trace it on to a paint mask. A light sanding can't hurt, but would show up as scuffs on the places you don't paint. You'll get a gloss/matte mix if you paint your colors on the outside and leave the green from the factory.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
RCC Addict

when you do camo the best way to lay it out is just let you hands go. dont try and copy something but you can use it as a guide line. when i paint mine on the inside i draw it out on the outside then lay tape down on the inside and cut it. there is no certain way to draw camo, the best camo done is freehand. on the outside you can scuff the body with some scotchbrite and lay the tape down all over it then draw it out. remember that you need to save the peice you cut out to put back on after the paint dries so you dont get the next color on the previous one. like i said just let your imagination go and it will be perfect and not a copy.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks, I can get more green that way I don't have to worry about hiding the light sanding. Been putting off airbrushing but what the heck. Time to go for it.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #5

Definitely go free hand for camo, it always turns out much better than using a pattern/stencil
bud800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Well finally got around to it. My first rc body with a airbrush. Or any kind of paint to be exact. Thought it would be cool to use rubberized paint to duplicate line x on the bottom. Went on nice but not sure if it will work in the long run. Then came across some internal masks so used them on the outside, should have went free hand like recommended . I think painting a clear body will be easier. Took a while to make the olive green but came close. Not 100% happy with it. Seems like it's missing something. Can't figure out how to reduce the image size on this mac to post. Will work on it.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

to brown/grey a color or in this case olive green what you need is a color wheel to find the colors compliment in this case red! adding in a few drops of red to the original colol will start to turn it brown u can add more as you like, if your color is too intense add in a neutral gray a few drops at a time

get your color then yoru tone and you should be set to go!
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Sorry to keep brining this back to the top but I think I finally figured out how to reduce the image size on my mac Bought this just to surf the web. Anyway, not totally happy with it but it will work while I'm waiting on my bumpers, sliders and custom bed and cage, oh and interior
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

i think it looks really good, not quite a military camo pattern but it is very nice, i like it a lot
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Different than the typical camouflage pattern - I like it.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
Different than the typical camouflage pattern - I like it.
Im with him ^^^^^^. I like it!
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

WOW, thanks guys! After this I'm going to give painting a couple stock scx bodies I have laying around just to try it. I have a strong feeling it's going to be easier than doing it on the outside. If those don't come out I'll have to have one of the pros on here paint one up for my daughters Honcho. Going to put the 4 link on tomorrow from R2J. Again thanks guys!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

fvrr, I think that came out great. but Iam a sucker for anything with a military based paint job. After seeing yours I might try it on my next one.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
fvrr, I think that came out great. but Iam a sucker for anything with a military based paint job. After seeing yours I might try it on my next one.
Thank you very much Bill. I like camo just never thought I'd do one myself. Pretty much since it was a green rtr body and didn't think a custom paint job on the outside was a good idea Ran it a bit today and paint held up better than I thought. I did put a couple coats of dull coat on it too. BTW on the bottom 1/4 I did spray some under coating to give it that line x or rhino look but it didn't stick too well. Easy to scratch off. Not sure if sanding it more would have helped but it's not a show truck
Attached Images