RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/)
-   -   what is causing this paint defect. tamiya ts on hardbody. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/529726-what-causing-paint-defect-tamiya-ts-hardbody.html)

J.Peart 03-15-2015 06:50 PM

what is causing this paint defect. tamiya ts on hardbody.

3 Attachment(s)
So ive tried tamiya ts paint on a few of my hard bodies and i keep getting this wierd problem. Dont know what to call it. Any body have this or know whats going on?

I wash the body in warm soapy water before painting. Give it a wipe down with some alcohol and let it dry. Prime it and put some color and this happens. oh and i also pre warm the paint and make sure it is well mixed.

Ill sand it down and wash it again. Let it dry. Respray and bam, same thing, same place.
Attachment 312458

Attachment 312459

Attachment 312460
At this point im just not gonna use tamiya ts paints anymore, but still i would like to know what is going on.

Mike Flea 03-15-2015 07:29 PM

Re: what is causing this paint defect. tamiya ts on hardbody.

Is your primer and paint compatible with each other?, as in, is the paint a lacquer, and the primer an enamel, that could be a cause for that, or there was a damp spot in those locations.

CODYBOY 03-15-2015 09:00 PM

Did you still have some spots of the old paint under the primer? If so, it's what Mike said two incompatible paints.

J.Peart 03-15-2015 09:27 PM

primer i cant say, they never seem to have tamiya primer in stock here in town. the primer is used is a plastic compatible primer, thought it was an acrylic (tamiya TS is an acrylic enamel unless i am mistaken right?) but i cant find it on the can now, might have been imaging things.

though i would have thought if it was the primer the whole body would do this. not just in certain spots.

and no there is no old paint under the primer. brand spanking new body.

CODYBOY 03-15-2015 10:39 PM

So, maybe it is mold release they used when the body was molded????? Or parts of the plastics didn't cure right??? I'm with you, if it was paint or primer compatabilty why didn't the whole body do it.

J.Peart 03-15-2015 11:17 PM

strange. maybe it is mold release agent and the soap i used wasnt getting it off..

nharkey85 03-16-2015 08:26 AM

Did you scuff the body any so that the primer could bond properly

nigelpheron 03-16-2015 08:46 AM

It's definately incompatibility of the primer & paint. One of the rule of rattle-can painting: Use all the same brand and productline!

J.Peart 03-16-2015 10:34 AM

Yeah i Sanded the body before hand.

ill be more carefull with my paint choice in the future I guess.

J.Peart 03-16-2015 10:37 AM

Ive been sanding it back down to primer as best i can and im gonna repimer and paint the whole thing with some different paint

nigelpheron 03-16-2015 11:52 AM

Don't forget to always test paint compatibility on scrap material, before trying it on the piece to be painted. This will save you re-doing the painted item, but will NOT help you learn from past boo-booz

Kylar 03-16-2015 12:38 PM

if the primer isnt reacting in the same spots i would say it has to be a paint to primer reaction. I had the same thing happen once, strangely enough it was also with Yellow.

Its very frustrating i know. Its a pita to sand it all down and start over.

Hoosierdady 03-16-2015 04:53 PM

Dawn dish liquid is best for washing new bodies (no fragrance if you can find it). Wash with warm water and then dry the body with a clean rag. Use a new piece of sand paper and wash it with the same soapy water too. If you're going to be handling the body much then you'll need to invest in some non-powder latex gloves too. But the best luck I've had with making spots like those go away has been with just barely fogging the areas with primer and allowing plenty of time to dry in between. It looks like you've painted bodies before for sure so you may already have tried this. Also instead of primer try using just cheep flat white Walmart spray paint. For brighter colors I use it instead of gray primer and it works great. I will say that the only times I've had issues out of paint has been with Model Masters and Tamiya, this has led me back to Testors time and time again. As for re-trying with what you already have, use a new piece of sand paper and wash it with the body.

J.Peart 03-16-2015 05:05 PM

Thanks. ill try dawn next time.

Frustrating being so careful and still getting screw ups like this.

Gotta say painting is not may favorite part of building rcs...

58_Willys 03-25-2015 12:01 PM

I have always had good results from duplicolor sandable primer, on models and hard bodies. I do like to use duplicolor paint in conjuction with the primer, but the primer does seem to work well for any paint. Acrylic should not be used as a primer unless you intend to use the same brand and type to over coat, as stated above. Acrylic is good as a final clear coat, but only as a final coat.

In building static models this is the sequence I always use if I'm planning to mix different types of paint...

1. Lacquers
2. Enamels
3. Acrylics

Hope this helps.