Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Vinyl decal questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Vinyl decal questions.

Have some questions on using vinyl decals on a lexan rc crawler body.

1) How easily do they scrape off? They seem pretty sturdy but as the ones I got are pretty much a reversible design, I also have the option of putting them on the inside instead. Is this necessary or will they hold up to the scrapes and tumbles on the outside pretty well.

2) If I did use them on the inside, how well do they work at masking the paint? Using tamiya PS color rattle cans. Will the paint soak through the vinyl at all or easily run underneath if I put them on the inside before painting?

Thanks!
SledgehogRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Vinyl decal questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgehogRC View Post
Have some questions on using vinyl decals on a lexan rc crawler body.

1) How easily do they scrape off? They seem pretty sturdy but as the ones I got are pretty much a reversible design, I also have the option of putting them on the inside instead. Is this necessary or will they hold up to the scrapes and tumbles on the outside pretty well.

2) If I did use them on the inside, how well do they work at masking the paint? Using tamiya PS color rattle cans. Will the paint soak through the vinyl at all or easily run underneath if I put them on the inside before painting?

Thanks!
For most of them a little heat from a hair dryer will aid in removing them. The don't come off easy! You would put them on the inside for the same reason we paint on the inside.

Paint will not bleed through them. A little soapy water will help in getting them down where you want them and make it easy to move all the bubbles out from under them. They also make spray specifically for applying vinyl.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I've put them on my actual car windows before but never used them on an RC body so I wasn't sure if they'd stick the same, or if the paint would bleed. I'll put them on the inside for sure now.
Thanks.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
JC3
Quarry Creeper

I paint and put all of my decals etc, on the outside of the body. I'm not into scale realism very much but in my opinion by putting everything on the outside as it wears due to use it looks more realistic. Also, the paint and decals are surprisingly resistant to damage. Peeling decals off, either on the inside or outside, peel off easily. The thinner they are the more challenging they can be.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I paint and put all of my decals etc, on the outside of the body. I'm not into scale realism very much but in my opinion by putting everything on the outside as it wears due to use it looks more realistic. Also, the paint and decals are surprisingly resistant to damage. Peeling decals off, either on the inside or outside, peel off easily. The thinner they are the more challenging they can be.

You talking regular sticker style decals or vinyl transfer decals which is what I'm asking about?

Also not into realism/scale, just want them to not scrape off on the rocks at all while crawling
Old 08-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgehogRC View Post
You talking regular sticker style decals or vinyl transfer decals which is what I'm asking about?

Also not into realism/scale, just want them to not scrape off on the rocks at all while crawling

Both. I use the regular sticker style decals and some that I print myself out of vinyl. Yes, they'll get scratched up on the outside and if you want to protect them, and not to scratch them at all, then putting them on the inside is your only option.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Vinyl varies a lot. Basically there's a layer that the colors get printed on, then a laminate over them to protect the color. And on the adhesive side, some have air-egress. Basically a pattern of tiny lines in the adhesive that helps allow air to escape when you're laying it out and and pressing the decal on.

Most vinyl adhesives are pressure sensitive, so if you're gentle, they will come up fairly easily. But once you put real pressure to it, it gets hard to remove. Remember this stuff is usually meant to be in place, exposed to the elements for years.

As far as using it from the inside out... not practical. All you'd see is the color of the adhesive. But you say they are reversible? Never seen that.

As far as paint sealing... If you get the edges tight it should be fine as a mask. But it won't be easy to get them off then
SlidePanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Vinyl decal questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to get vinyl wraps done jboehler04 Nevada 2 08-07-2013 07:51 PM
Vinyl wraps taco08jk Paint and Body 3 01-23-2012 06:58 PM