Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Need mounting ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Need mounting ideas

I'm trying to determine how to mount this roof scoop on the aluminum panel roof I made for the GOM / Project Dragon Slayer. Any ideas out there in Crawler Land? There's minimal edge to the underside of the scoop that touches the roof. I thought about fabbing up some brackets and securing those to the roof, but I don't want to have any hardware visible to secure the scoop to the brackets.

Appreciate any ideas!
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Need mounting ideas

I'd be concerned with any attachment method that utilizes only the thin edges of the scoop... regarding it taking a hit and coming off.

Anyway that you could make another version where the scoop would have a bottom portion? You could drill a couple holes into the bottom of the scoop ( maybe way back inside to hide em) then drill a couple holes into the bottom of the scoop and into the roof... then run a couple small screws through from the underside of the roof and attach with locking nuts hidden back in the inside of the scoop. Although that still wouldn't necessarily be ideal in terms of strength.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I'd be concerned with any attachment method that utilizes only the thin edges of the scoop... regarding it taking a hit and coming off.

Anyway that you could make another version where the scoop would have a bottom portion? You could drill a couple holes into the bottom of the scoop ( maybe way back inside to hide em) then drill a couple holes into the bottom of the scoop and into the roof... then run a couple small screws through from the underside of the roof and attach with locking nuts hidden back in the inside of the scoop. Although that still wouldn't necessarily be ideal in terms of strength.

I'd make another version, but it's a children's sand shovel that I trimmed up and re-purposed. I think it will hold up pretty well because it's a really flexible material. I may just have to suck it up and make some type of bracket.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

lol... crazy the things we find/ save for projects. I thought it was 3dp. Was also thinking jb weld or e6000 along the inside but not sure how clean that would come out. Good luck.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
lol... crazy the things we find/ save for projects. I thought it was 3dp. Was also thinking jb weld or e6000 along the inside but not sure how clean that would come out. Good luck.

Yep - I love looking at things and seeing what else they could be or how they could be used. It's a sickness!

Need mounting ideas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
body mounting ideas Zrazer Paint and Body 4 01-29-2013 08:30 PM
looking for battery mounting ideas please James003 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 01-12-2010 09:05 AM
ESC Mounting ideas?? 75fan Team Losi Comp Crawler 19 12-17-2009 11:51 PM
Need body mounting ideas Trac95ker General Crawlers 2 07-10-2004 10:52 AM