Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PTI Pro 12 noob question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #1

Default PTI Pro 12 noob question

I am getting into crawling and have a WK I am building as a trail rig, but I also want a nice 2.2 rig when I get the money and no one runs a Goliath around here that I have seen. I was wondering if I bought the Pro12 RTR what would I need to do to it to make it a good crawler? I have read about the problem with the dog bones, but is that only with the old kits or should I install the Maxx half-shafts? Thank you for your help.

Josh
Tabogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

To make it as good of a crawler as possible, you gotta put a gear reduction unit in there. PTI makes one, RC4WD makes one or you can modify a GD-600 gearbox to work in the Goliath (cheapest method of the three). An 85T lathe motor or a Cobalt Puller motor might be able to do the job without a gearbox, but I've never tried it.

The dogbones work fine as long as you set up your ride height and suspension links properly. But I definitely like the slider shafts better myself. The operate a little smoother thanks to u-joints at both ends.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I know that with the WK most people just use a 96T/15T spur/pinion and a 55T lathe motor for comps, will that not work with the Pro12? I have read a few reviews and every one of them said that they are really good crawlers out the box, but comps are a different thing. Are the diffs locked stock or is there a kit for it. Sorry for all the questions, but I underestimated the WK crawler build and that is why I am making a trail rig out of it instead. Trying not to make the same mistake twice.

Forgot a question: How does the RTR electronics hold up?

Last edited by Tabogon; 05-15-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The Goliath lacks an actual transmission. In stock configuration, it's direct-drive. The pinion engages the spur and the spur is connected directly to the axles via driveshafts. Hence, the need for a gear reduction unit. The diffs are locked outta the box. I can't comment on the electronics except the servo because I haven't used 'em, but as far as I can tell, they are sufficient for getting started. It's all name-brand stuff (Hitec) and the HS-645-MG steering servo it comes with is better than many servos I've seen in an RTR (crawlers or otherwise). I've run that servo before and it was very reliable, if not the best performer strength-wise.

I hate to say it, but if you're disappointed in the WK's potential as a good crawler, then you may not be real keen on the Goliath's potential either. Like the WK, the Goliath can be a potent crawler, but it takes a little work.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #5

I am mostly disappointed in the WK due to the high CG and the only way I ever see it competing would be a custom build and only using the axles. I really like the Goliath and I do like to tinker so it would be ok. I am just looking for a nice rig that doesn't require me custom making everything and I would like to get away from the axial trend everyone is sporting these days. I was looking at the RC4WD GRU and it seems pretty simple, is it a good one to use or is the $74 PTI GRU a better choice? I hear the RC4WD requires a brace of some kind to keep from breaking (?) the motor plate. Thanks again. My daughter might be getting a used WK soon :-P
Old 05-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The PTI gearbox comes with a carbon fiber motor plate and a new cf radio tray and a new bulkhead. I think the new motor plate and bulkhead have additional mounting holes to keep the motor plate from flexing. The RC4WD unit woud need to be supported since you'd be using the stock motor plate. But that's pretty easy to do.

The WK and Goliath have the same problem in that the tranny is lacking. The chassis on the Goliath is better suited to crawling than the WK's though.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #7

Thanks a lot for all the help, not sure what I'm going to do as far as getting the GRC or making a custom built WK. I am leaning more for the GRC though...it's just too cool looking
Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The pro rtr is a sweet truck. Kb right you would have to install a gear reduction. As far as the electronics there nice. The motor that comes with the truck is very strong and has good wheel speed with the pti gear reduction on it.
drc323 is offline   Reply With Quote