Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What make goliath so special

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #1

Red face What make goliath so special

Hi:
At this time im undecide which crawler to buy; being looking for various alternatives. My question about the Golliat Rock Crawler is can it be a rock basher or racer or just strickly a crawler . Know the axial rtr is a racer but in quality which one is better; othe question whats the lenght of this Golliat crawler cause there is not enough info out. What motors are recomended, brushed or brushless; i like to bash and have fun with it not just crawl can this be possible with this vehicle. What's the lower motor
can handle without afecting crawling capabilities. Really need help and convince myself cause i like this one a lot. thanks for your answer and help
BRUSSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

if you go to towerhobbies.com you should be able to get plenty of info on them for there size and all
karth'ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Don't buy the Goliath. Buy an axial RTR. You can bash and crawl. The Goliath's axles are not strong enough. You'll be replacing parts over and over again.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

the axial and WK gears will blow out just as easy if they arent shimmed correctly. I have actually destroyed more WK gears than I have PTI. the problem everyone has with the PTI gears is that they think they are weak because they are a nylon material instead of metal. In reality a pti gear can withstand the same torqu loads if shimmed properly.
PTI has done allot of work to retool and come out with a case design that has fixed allot of the issues they had in the beginning... you just dont hear about it because they arent big, they dont have sponsored drivers and they got a bad rap in the beginning.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I have the new axle cases and they are much more "snug" than my previous ones. A slipper clutch does wonders for gear survivability as well. If you look at the Poulson Axles, which use the same internals, he highly recommends using a slipper.

I had mentioned this over at RCU, but it's worth mentioning here too. I switched to an R2 disconnect tranny awhile back and even with proper shimming, I could still strip gears (did so in a comp no less) whereas when I was running my homebrew GD-600/slipper-pegged spur gear arrangement, I rarely popped a gear. But I plan on doing some more testing when I get time because with how tight the newer axle cases are, it should be damn hard to pop those gears.

Last edited by K_B; 09-04-2008 at 01:35 PM.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I tried the PTI axles for my build because of their compact minimum design and I do feel that they are worthy to give a try but with them side by side with the Axials, the gears just don't feel as stout. As said above with proper shimming and not getting too crazy with the power they should hold up well. Also as K B mentioned a slipper on the trans would be ideal.

Check out these two vids-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l7Ip2Y8TuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vds1nX3LczA

Note: in the second vid with Axial axles, there are HD harden gears in the rear (so that defiantly helped with durability). Now if we could only get an drop in option similar for the PTI then it would get the nod hands down.

Beware, with enough power everything breaks
S_C_I_P_I_O79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You guys have to be kidding. There is no comparison between the strength of the axial and pti axles. If the gears don't strip, the dog bones snap. The AX-10 axles don't need to be shimmed. On top of the strength issue, the steering knuckles don't provide enough leverage for steering.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Get the PTI. Axials just suck. period.
evileddy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #9

Default Pti

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
You guys have to be kidding. There is no comparison between the strength of the axial and pti axles. If the gears don't strip, the dog bones snap. The AX-10 axles don't need to be shimmed. On top of the strength issue, the steering knuckles don't provide enough leverage for steering.
If you bet on Axial how come you brag being 3rd place in whatever comp. Maybe if you drive a Golliat you'll be 1rst. So Stay with your axial
and stay out discouraging those who like PTI.

Last edited by BRUSSER; 09-06-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

nothing get an axial way better product support and more mod options
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSER View Post
If you bet on Axial how come you brag being 3rd place in whatever comp. Maybe if you drive a Golliat you'll be 1rst. So Stay with your axial
and stay out discouraging those who like PTI.
You'll remember this thread in six months to a year and be kicking yourself in the ass for buying the goliath. I've been there done that. You'll end up buying something else.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
gas
Rock Stacker

:-Pbeen bashing and crawling my pti for some time havent broken anything yet(knocking on wood)
gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

When you buy a PTI, you don't have to spend another $150 to $200 in upgrades to make the axles handle any kind of wheeling like you would with an axial. That is why there is a bunch of mods for the ax10. Stock sucks.
evileddy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #14

The PTI does require some tuning, but isn't that the point. My PTI has been evolving for over a year. I have enjoyed the challenge of making what many people consider an inferior crawler into a very capable rig. There are plenty of posts in the Axial section discussing weaknesses and commonly broken parts too. Some of us enjoy improving are crawlers as much as running them.
prp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #15

Thumbs down Why so offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
You'll remember this thread in six months to a year and be kicking yourself in the ass for buying the goliath. I've been there done that. You'll end up buying something else.
Your the one who's going to be kick in the ass by your own words; being ignorant and offensive is not sport; is being ignorant no wonder your just the 3rd no class; not even disposition to help just to critizized; my friend you need to grow up or maybe you need to enjoy life and help not
discourage, there are ways to said don't buy this for this reason ect. you
like your axial fine and dandy; let others make their choices; REMEMBER YOU ARE A 3RD PLACER.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSER View Post
Your the one who's going to be kick in the ass by your own words; being ignorant and offensive is not sport; is being ignorant no wonder your just the 3rd no class; not even disposition to help just to critizized; my friend you need to grow up or maybe you need to enjoy life and help not
discourage, there are ways to said don't buy this for this reason ect. you
like your axial fine and dandy; let others make their choices; REMEMBER YOU ARE A 3RD PLACER.
sounds to me like you have some learning to do as well top 3 is pretty tuff when there is 50-60 guys there..

voice of experience can sometimes sound harsh but there is a reason these axles have little to no support.. and it is not because they are Superior if that was the case there would be allot more people running them.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Lets see no one used PTI axles in the Nationals...

If you want strong axles you buy Axial or Bergs....both need minimum $ to be 100% comp winners. PTI's are plastic gears...come on thats for toys, not crawlers.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Lets see no one used PTI axles in the Nationals...

If you want strong axles you buy Axial or Bergs....both need minimum $ to be 100% comp winners. PTI's are plastic gears...come on thats for toys, not crawlers.

so by that reasoning, after next year the only axles to get will be Bergs or other MOA's because you know they will dominate nationals next year. As for the plastics being for toys...tell brushless tc4/tc5's doing 60-70mph that.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #19

Default Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
so by that reasoning, after next year the only axles to get will be Bergs or other MOA's because you know they will dominate nationals next year. As for the plastics being for toys...tell brushless tc4/tc5's doing 60-70mph that.
You are right; we all do modifications to our vehicles and we all
want the best; the issue here is help not degrade thats what the forums
are all about get ideas, get knowledge not being degrade by others. let's
help each other .
Old 09-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I own both the Axial and the PTI. The PTI is a fun rig to play with and makes a capable crawler with the right modifications. The Axial, though, definitely has a stronger drive train. The diffs in the PTI are undoubtedly weaker than the Axial's. Now, if you run a low power setup (mine is 7.2v and 55T with the PTI GRU) you will most likely never have diff problems in the PTI. I never have. On the other hand, if you want a comp rig with high power and dig, the Axial axles are the way to go.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote