Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Hello Everyone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #1

Default Hello Everyone

I'm new and would like to introduce myself. My name is Ed and I live in Central Illinois. Today while I was garage saling with the wife, I picked up a Goliath Rock Crawler for $25. While I'm not new to R/C, this is my first crawler. The guy I bought it from could not get it steer. I had that problem fixed in about 10 mins. This thing is slow and doesn't seem to have much power. It has a Performtech Stage 1 Crawler motor in it. I would like to add more power without spending a ton (also own a Savage X that I'm fixing up). I would not mind staying with a brushed motor (as they are cheaper and won't require me chaning the ESC right now). I also noticed that when the front wheels are pushed up that they lock in that position. It requires some pressure on the cantilevers to return the wheel to it's rest position. This only happens with the front wheels. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
PreachTheWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Be careful. I started with a pti. The gears are weak and the motor plate will flex causing the spur gear to strip. I would advise you not to spend any money on that thing. If you plan on getting into crawling, go another route.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
Be careful. I started with a pti. The gears are weak and the motor plate will flex causing the spur gear to strip. I would advise you not to spend any money on that thing. If you plan on getting into crawling, go another route.
Thank you for that information. I might just leave it the way it is and let my granddauther play with it.
PreachTheWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

I bought one new in the box a couple years ago really cheap and still haven't built it. I plan on just making it a running shelf queen... some day.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
rik
RCC Addict

Welcome to RCCrawler...To.solve the motor plate flex problem, simply place a zip tie under the motor and around both of the chassis rails. Kind of pushing the motor up. Don't put to much pressure as it will throw your mesh out. As far as spending to much money, well, you can't. There is no aftermarket support and replacement parts can't be found. Actually you can get metal gears for the axles on eBay. Other than that you gotta fab it yourself. I used my axles to make an lnc-pti hybrid. I love my axles and will be buried with them. Though, I am comping with a lcc now. I have a build thread on here, which is probably right under this post in the pti section. Post up.some pics and keep.this sub-forum alive. but if you are gonna get serious with crawling get another rig...and if ya ever wanna sell it, pm me..

Oh and to solve the front getting stuck problem, loosen the screw that holds the triangle piece a little bit and loc-tite it in. And lube the bearings in there too. If the suspension is over traveling try adding some pre-load to the shocks, or limit them.

Last edited by rik; 06-05-2011 at 05:49 PM.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Metal

Hi, I sold over 225 gears on ebay. Sorry, but the ad was removed. I have only a few left and they are for myself. There are some more out there. You would have to check with PTI.
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
rik
RCC Addict

Pti is no more. Ya can't contact them..
rik is offline   Reply With Quote