Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PTI Goliath Dogbone/ axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default PTI Goliath Dogbone/ axle

Any one know of a dogbone I could get at a hobbyshop that is the same length. I snapped one today. By the way I cant see the gears stripping out if a dog bone snapps before they click.
franeich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I think, and its only think, that they use the same as the rc10t2...I dont want to take mine apart so its only an educated guess but it would be close if its not the right one. How in the world did you snap a dogbone????
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'm on my second set of dogbones, and I have 3 spare pairs in my tool box. By my measurements they are 63.15 mm end to end, but I was thinking of trying some MIP CVD units, now all I have to do is find the right size.

This looks like a direct repalcement: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGEJ9&P=7

Last edited by cwazyduck; 05-20-2007 at 07:20 PM.
cwazyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

will the mip cvd's work
Old 05-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I don't know, but I'm thinking of order 2 pair and trying them. In theory, if the dogbones are the same length and the axle diameter is the same, they should work. The B4 axles are 3/16" as are the PTI. I looks like MIP part #1550 might be worth a shot.
cwazyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I've been using these:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLV96&P=7

They're slightly shorter than stock which allows your knuckle to pivot further, giving you sharper steering. They're also much stronger. I've also been working on a CVD option, but because I'm also using allow TLT knuckles, the CVDs are hard to come by in the right length. With the stock knuckles a CVD around 57mm should work along with these:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXEAB6&P=K

I haven't tried it yet myself because my order is getting jerked around at Ultimate Hobbies. I hope to have this rolling soon though.

Last edited by K_B; 05-21-2007 at 03:18 AM.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks KB those dogbones worked perfectly.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazyduck View Post
I'm on my second set of dogbones, and I have 3 spare pairs in my tool box. By my measurements they are 63.15 mm end to end, but I was thinking of trying some MIP CVD units, now all I have to do is find the right size.

This looks like a direct repalcement: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGEJ9&P=7
Dog bones are usually measured from pin to pin. So if you see a length of say 54mm that usally means it's from pin center on one end to the center of the pin on the other. I just thought I'd let you know so when you search, you'll know what length to look for. Good luck!

By the way, MIP CVD's won't work unless you want to change a bunch of stuff. MIP doesn't make a stub axle long enough in a metric size that I know of (the PTI truck uses metric bearings in the steering knuckles 5x9mm). BUT Tamiya does. The rear stub axles from the 501x (4WD buggy) are the perfect length and size. AND you'll need to get these swing shafts to work with them (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...duct-id=53795).

Or you could just get replacement dog bones from PTI. The CVD's from the original MMT are the perfect length, but right now PTI doesn't make the stub axle to go with it to make a universal. I've been trying to get them to make the part, but they're so swampped making the GRC parts, that the machine is hasn't been freed up to make any CVD stub axles.

There is one other alternative. You could contact these guys for stainless steel dog bones. http://www.rcalloys.com/pricelist/pricelistshafts.html
They'll make any dog bone length for $20 each. And they probably won't break.

If you find a CVD set up that will work, please let us all know.

Last edited by OGmicromonster; 06-08-2007 at 01:09 AM.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmicromonster View Post
Dog bones are usually measured from pin to pin. So if you see a length of say 54mm that usally means it's from pin center on one end to the center of the pin on the other. I just thought I'd let you know so when you search, you'll know what length to look for...

...If you find a CVD set up that will work, please let us all know.
Usually that is how dogbone length is measured...Kyosho for one is infamous for measuring some of thier bones end to end (total overall length) and some from center of pin to center of pin....been there with thier 1/8th scale gas parts. Great ideas, keep em coming! Pics are nice too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #10

Default Axle screw in to far!

Hey just wanted to let you guys know that if you screw the cantiliever mount screw on the axle too far, it will score the dog bone and make it snap everytime...if you notice they break inside just about where that screw is located! Thanks Raped_Ape!

Last edited by Raped_Ape; 07-18-2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: bad grammar
Raped_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raped_Ape View Post
Hey just wanted to let you guys know that if you screw the cantiliever mount screw on the axle it will score the dog bone and make it snap everytime...if you notice they break inside just about where that screw is located! Thanks Raped_Ape!

I had to use a shorter screw and a bunch of thread lock
MudHead is offline   Reply With Quote