Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Picked up a PTI Goliath

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #1

Default Picked up a PTI Goliath

Decided to give an out of the box crawler a try. Second R/C(savage), but first crawler. I've already tossed the lid in favor of a hardbody hummer from my son's RC collection. I painted it matte black. The only thing I don't think I'll like is the fact it's yellow underneath, and scratches will look un-real(generally metal is grey). It is near exactly the same length, wheelwells line up, but its a bit wider, which I like better than the stocker. I also went ahead and painted the wheels matte black, I wanted chrome, but I couldn't find a finish I liked. The tires from PTI are amazingly soft, and the rim has no breather hole. I took one of the foamy inserts out, and mounted it on the rim, minus glue, and it holds air very well. I am thinking that I will take all the foamys out, and glue them with a slightly aired down look. If this doesnt work, I'll throw the foamys in after. Hope to start building very soon. I'll post some pix as there are not too many Goliaths here, so there is prolly some interest on how these go together, and work. The manual is very detailed, and should be easy to assemble.

WP

Last edited by WIREPULLER; 06-08-2007 at 08:14 AM.
WIREPULLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

more pics
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

no kidding how about a pic with the body and the wheels on the truck?
airranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:33 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Have fun! If you need any tips feel free to ask. I've build several. :-P
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Before you run it, take some thicker body clips, and cut some better wheel drive pins out of them! My stock roll pins lasted 2 packs! When they shear, they ruin the stock pin drive wheels! Hurry now, don't delay!
NWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #6

thanks guys. I finished the truck last night, I still need to get some electronics, motor, fab some body mounts, and trim the wells. the body is only placed right now, to give the effect. I have some more pix, I will try to make them show up on this board, if not, I will post the links, like above.

OK, looks like I can't post pics yet, according to the posting rules at the bottom of my screen. Sorry guys, I gotta hot link for now.

WP

Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIREPULLER View Post
thanks guys. I finished the truck last night, I still need to get some electronics, motor, fab some body mounts, and trim the wells. the body is only placed right now, to give the effect. I have some more pix, I will try to make them show up on this board, if not, I will post the links, like above.

OK, looks like I can't post pics yet, according to the posting rules at the bottom of my screen. Sorry guys, I gotta hot link for now.

WP

That truck looks awesome. Nice job!
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #8

Looks great, should be lots of fun. After destroying 2 of the 1/18 Nylints over the last year I bought the PTI yesterday, I should have it next week. I was going to grab mine online but a hobby shop in my town ordered one for pretty much the same price. I just had them put the whole kit together for me, so next Thursday I should be able to assemble the whole thing and try it out next weekend, I still have one good Nylint so I can do a little compatison crawling. I'm sure I'll be asking some questions once I get mine, this will be the first r/c car I have ever built.
pat161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Be sure to throw about 7/8" piece of fuel tubing on the shock shafts to limit travel. At near full articulation, the cantilevers will go overcenter, get stuck there, and bind up the suspension.

WIREPULLER: Nice looking truck there! The body will require extensive trimming to clear the Redrocks. There's just no staying with the scale look with so much wheel travel!
NWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #10

Thanks NWDave pat161 & OGmicromonster!! I think I might get the yoko geo's on some diff rims, with the hardbody and make that my scaled personality. Then when I wanna do some serious crawlin, I'll use the red rocks, and a custom trimmed body. Oh, I ended up taking the foam out of the wheels, and it sits very well before I even sealed the tires. They have the perfect aired down look, without a ton of sidewall flexing. Haven't had time to try the setup yet, but I will post when I do.

WP

Last edited by WIREPULLER; 06-18-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:38 AM   #11

nice
ncgamedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Nice Build. Just ordered mine today from Tower
scrooloose is offline   Reply With Quote