Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: GRC 12" build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #1

Default GRC 12" build

I didn't get to run this truck in stock form. I started moding while I was waiting on the parts to get here. I'm still waiting on my order from RCP, my 5mm pinion for the output of the GD-600 and the red rings for the Axial wheels. I did a 1.5" rear stretch and a 1/2" front stretch for a 60/40 weight distribution and better handling. I'm running a PolyRC 4000mah LiPo from Holmes, TLT wideners, Hitec HS-645MG, large 2.2 brushless motor and Mamba ESC, Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz radio gear and new Maxx shocks with Jato drive shafts. The links are CF sleaved 4-40 all thread with Maxx ends. I had to fab the servo mount, shock and lower link mounts, upper link mounts (from 2 Savage chassis braces) and battery box/mount. I still need to fab the rear wheel lockouts and axle input bearing braces, shave the underside of the axles, paint the body and mount the tranny when my orders get in and then she'll be ready for her first run. I'm looking forward to the Texas area comps!

sicklidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #2

The WB wound up being 12.25". Any suggestion on patterns for cutting the foam? I've read of guys doing the star or just a straight cut in half. What about redrilling the beadlock screw holes to M3? Anyone have pics or first hand experiance with that on the Axial bead locks?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a helluva start. I'm might try that u-channel battery box idea. I have that same battery. For what it's worth, you may want to consider flipping your axles rather than shaving the bottoms. It will give you a nice level surface for mounting the servo, although you already took care of that, and it will put your upper link mounts a few millimeters higher to help combat axle wrap.

And if you haven't already, treat the ends of the CF tubing with some CA. I've heard of guys having problems with them splintering on the ends.

As for foams, I just cut mine down about a 1/4" in diameter and cut a v-notch down the center. Seems to work pretty well. My other rig has the star-pattern which I ended up cutting a v-notch in those as well as the star pattern itself was still too stiff.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #4

I didn't even think to flip the axles. I already started to shave them when I was fitting the new steering links. I've already treated the ends of the CF tubes, and have a 3X6mm black washer glued to the ends as well to combat the splintering.

I'll probably go with the V notch in the center of the foam. What about the overall width of the foam? Did you leave it stock?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #5

The C channel battery box works great for this battery. I just added a few strips of 3/16" closed cell foam weather stripping for cussion for the battery and there's almost no movement.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I think some people cut the foam to fit between the wheel beads. I usually cut the foam to the width of the entire rim. Seems to help keep the sidewall from buckling; especially since the v-notch takes away some lateral stability of the foam.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #7

Here's a little update, I got the electronics mounted and found out that the HS-645MG servo was bad. It was the first bad Hitec servo I've gotten out of about 12 over the years. I ordered the new Integy INTC22435MG with 190oz of torque and a .17s transit time. I think they're made by Bluebird. The red rings and 5mm pinion came in from RCP but I'm still waiting on my replacement tranny outdrive from PTI. I drove it around a little in 2WD and it's SLOOOWW with the GD-600, it went right up and over an 8" concrete step in 2WD though so I'm itchin' to see it running on all 4. I cut the foams to the width of the wheel and did the v-notch recommended by K_B. Seems to give the perfect balance between sidewall stability and tread flex.... thanks K_B

Old 07-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

It looking good sicklidz. Keep up the good work
drc323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #9

I'm a little disgusted with Rcboys right now. I ordered a replacement servo on Saturday 7/7. I Just got an email yesterday 7/11 (after business hours so I couldn't call and bitch them out) that they were trying to finally process my order and the servo wasn't in stock. I was expecting my order to show up yesterday from the amount I paid for shipping. I guess I'll bite the bullet and pay the extra $4 to order it from R/C Planet. At least I know my order will be processed and shipped in a more timely manner.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

looks really nice man, i really like how u mounted the battery, also i have a tlt rig and a maxx righ(both 2.2's) and i am thinking about anouther one and i was wondering how easy it is to make the pti tranny run maxx or pede shafts and is it lockable?
Turblankas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:15 AM   #11

The PTI "tranny" is just a spool. I mounted a GD-600 to it for better gearing. Mounting Max shafts is pretty easy, I went with Jato shafts. There a ton of how-to's around this forum and the 1/18th forums as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #12

I got Rc Boyz on the phone and they redeamed themselves. I should have the servos, wheels and tires I ordered on Monday if they got it shipped yesterday.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thats a good looking build.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote