Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First Impression of the PTI Goliath Rock Crawler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default First Impression of the PTI Goliath Rock Crawler.

My First Impression of the PTI Goliath Rock Crawler.

Well to start this is not my first R/C Kit build, I own 6 others, but this is my second Rock Crawler (1st modified Wheely King).

The parts look great, instructions are great, but wait at step two I noticed that I was missing some parts, so I checked every bag and double checked to make sure that I had all of the other parts for the build. Come to find out, here's what I was missing.
#20418 Input Shafts X2
#20433 Ball Studs X1
3X16mm Philips Pan Head Screws X2
4mm Lock Nuts X4

Now don't get me wrong I am pleased with the overall quality of the kit, and back when I lived in the lower 48 states missing parts in a kit were never a problem, I would just run to the local hobby shop and pick them up. For me now, no local hobby shop and shipping takes a long time.

I have emailed the company tonight and have left a message on their machine. I will post back on how this problem is fixed and how long it takes. This is just fair warning to anyone who is thinking about purchacing one of these trucks. It look great, has received good reviews in RC Car Action and XRC Cars Mag, but patience is a vertue and all good things come in time.

Last edited by wshipley; 07-11-2007 at 02:22 PM.
wshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

There customer service is great. They'll probably ship the parts as soon as they get the e-mail. I had a similar problem and the parts were here in a couple days.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika
There customer service is great.
I second that.

Unfortunately there have been PTI kits that are missing parts. I have had two PTIs and the first one missed a couple rods and the present had a couple too many (seemed like they were thrown in, because they weren't in a bag).
I've heard the same from a friend too, he was also missing rods. Luckily M3 allthread is cheap .
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 AM   #4

I also had some missing parts when I got my truck. I sent PTI an e-mail and in 4 days had the parts. It worked out good because it took me almost 4 days to build the truck, just working on it a little each day.

I also just ordered some spare parts from them too, and again it only took 4 days to get them. Thats good considering I live on the other side of the country from them.
MudHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:57 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Just ordered my truck. anywhere online stock parts for them? Tower doesn't seem to.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

http://ptiracing.net/buy/buynow.htm
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks, don't know how I missed that on their site.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

keep in mind allot of the parts are the same or very close to others, like the gears, tc3/tc4 gears work. Axles stubs tlt are supposed to be an exact match, RS4 actually seem a little stronger and give you about 1/2" more track width. Bearings are standard at any shop. Tranmsion gears are standard and the market is flooded with option including steel. Rod ends are generic, I actually prefer upgrading to Dubro heavy duty, of course I also changed the links. Just keep taht stuff in mind. Reminds me of when Dell started out, they didnt use propriatary stuff so you could use whatever harddrive you wanted etc. Thats a draw back I have heard on the Axial scorpion, allot of purpose built parts.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I just got off of the phone with PTI, all of the missing parts will be shipping today. Great Customer Service. Will keep you posted on the build.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I just received my missing parts today to find out that the four axle half that came with the kit were all exactly the same. I needed two uppers and two lowers, luckly I spoke with Paul at PTI and he will send me out four new axle complete halfs, next day mail. Now understand that after speaking with Paul these parts problems are not the norm for PTI, even with these issues I am still impressed with the kit.

I will post Pics of the completed truck when it's done.

I also found out that the 12.5" kit will be shipping to stores by the end of the week.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Mine was just missing a long ball stud for the steering linkage from the servo to connect to on the knuckle. Ended up threading one of the extra 3x8mm silver screws into the knuckle, and the ball cup snapped perfectly onto it like it was made for it. Only other problem I had, was the pin for the cvd that holds it together wouldn't fit throught the dogbone part of the cvd, had to drill it out.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I had to do the same thing with my CVD's (drill them out a bit to fit the pin), its all part of buy a kit, you may have to hand fit a few things.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I didn't have a problem with it, but not everyone who will buy the kit will have the means to drill them out. They had to drill a hole to begin with, should have made it the right size. That was really my only problem building the truck.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I never had a problem with my truck .Everything fit and i wasnt missing any parts.I think the truck are great with a lil work it will hang with any other truck
drc323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Little work is putting it mildly...
Old 07-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well I received my missing parts yesterday and completed the build. Now just have to dial in the truck and I'll post a build thread.