Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: how do you upgrade or remove the canti susp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #1

Default how do you upgrade or remove the canti susp

I love my truck, hate the suspension. Its always binding, it doesnt bind at full compression like so many others , it binds up decompressed.
its like a 4wd gocart, no flex. Iv tried to fix this problem and i havent reached any satisfying results. How can i modify the cant system to perform better or ditch it all together for a more conventional setup. Its driving me up the wall but not up the rocks:-(

Thanks
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Debunking old stereotypes

Welcome to RCC!!
You'll wanna ditch that cant suspension in favor of a more traditional set up. Look through the PTI build threads like Storm suggested, you'll find a set up that works much better then the cants.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The other option is if you have the older setup or the MMT setup, both use small brass bushings, you can remove those and insert bearings. It's the bushings that are binding up when the suspension has been at rest for a while. PTI has some bearings that are used in the GRC kit that will fit perfectly. BUT if you want a plush suspension, then I would say get rid of the cantilever suspension. Cantilever suspension isn't as soft as a standard one.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #4

i decidedv to go the revo route for now im gonna get the extension kit soon, the revo cantis are silky smooth. no binding and a little less flex in a good way. is it just me or are the red rock tires to big/heavy. i have constant breakage when i use them, spurs, pinion/ring gears, dog bones. if i use my traxxas talon tires i have no issues at all (tallons with a little cutting do great on the rocks BTW, and they lookcool...nice to be different)
Old 08-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #5

i have another question on this guys, iv already decided to get the strech in a few months but im the kinda guy that cant quit tinkering, i put revo cants on (long on front short on back(fliped so they clear body posts)) and iv seen this done before. how can i keep it from digging the tire into the cant/body posts under full flex. especialy when i steer under flex. iv looked at many posts and pics but i cant see any clear modification. help me out guys
Old 08-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #6

im planning on streching it and all as soon as i get the extra cash (married with one on the way) but im trying to make what i got work for now. iv eliminated half the problem, i put my body posts on the side so my tires dont hit them now but they still hit my cants when i steer under flex. im gonna get some moab 2.2s and narrow me down some wheels and see if i clear then, the tires dont hit the cants a lot but with those big lugs on the redrock it dont take much to grab a cant and eat a ring gear. iv also thought about geting a chassis for a tlt that uses a pede. transmission and eleminate a lota issues.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Here's how I added the Revo cants to mine.

I used:

1. 90t rear cants on all 4 corners with the stock sized bearings.
2. Team Associated shock bushings (p#6473) x 2 packs to shim the bearings.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2608&P=7
3. Some long 3mm screws. I think they were 3mmx25mm.
4. Some 3mm washers for spacers
5. 1/4" aluminum channel. I bought this at Lowe's/HomeDepot

The pics should tell the story. Ask questions if you don't understand.

A few things. If your rails do not have holes drilled at the ends, you will need to drill the hole get a 3mm tap to thread it. Dubro sells a bit and tap together.

The channel is easier to drill first and then cut, so you don't have to hold a tiny piece when drilling.
Attached Images

Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #8

ok i have a few questions. #1 did you do smething to the angled aluminum lower links or is the original screw the only thing holding it in. #2 why do you have washers stacked up under the back servo mount screw #3 how do you limit the travel and how long are your links from axle to canti. with this setup. imitation is the best starting point right? lol