Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Boogie's Bully

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Boogie's Bully

Finally got my new Bully based rig put together.

-Outer Limits Icon Chassis & Links
-Losi 4" Crawler Shocks
-Hitec 5645 Steering Servo (for now)
-Tekin FXR
-2 Holmes Hobbies 45t Handwound Torquemasters
-Castle BEC
-Mayhem Spiders Axial Offset
-Spektrum DX3R system with SR3100 rx
-PunkRC Dig Unit

The chassis was designed and created by HomerJ on here, pm him if you are interested in them, they're a great chassis for either a Bully or a Berg.
I created my own servo plate and linkage myself instead of buying the RC4WD steering kit. The servo plate was an old one out of my old axial kit that I just redrill and mounted on the front axle with 4 7x15 Axial spacers. The linkage was just made with some 8-32 allthread and some revo rod ends.

I would have mounted everything on the underside of the top/electronics plate, but the bolts to the upper links wouldn't allow it so I just stuck the dig unit on the underside and everything else up top.

The HH 45t motors were just the ticket. No excessive wheelspeed, but enough to clear small gaps with a quick blip of the throttle. I'm not completely satisfied with the shock setup on it yet, I'd rather they be oriented a bit more vertical, but when I go to shorten the lower links a little to bring the wheelbase in check (it's sitting around 13" right now), it'll line them up a bit more.

While Axial offset wheels will work with theses axles, they are not optimal. Since I had to set the shocks and links so far away from the chassis to clear the gearcases, the front tires rub when turning deep. I attempted to dial out the steering a little bit, but it doesn't turn worth a damn then. I've decided to go with either some narrow wheels with maximum offset custom ordered from mayhem, or try the RC4WD Lowboys that were designed for the bully with maximum offset, along with some Crawlr1 foams.

Other than a few minor issues, I'm pretty happy with this little project, especially for my first non-kit build. My only real complaint is where they made the gear cases so wide, I had to space the shocks out quite a bit to keep them from binding on the cases, although part of that can be attributed to the narrow chassis as well.

Anyhow, after all of this I've decided I need to make a massive order to Fastenal to replentish my hardware. I had to take half a dozen trips to Ace Hardware and they pretty much suck, lol. Anyhow, on the list of things to do now are: Shorten lower links to bring in the wheelbase a bit and hopefully bring the shocks up a bit, make a battery tray to fit on the rear axle, and change to a different foam setup until I can get some new wheels and crawlr1 foams. The old 310 foams I have in there now are really broken down which is pretty obvious from the pictures. It also doesn't help that I went to a much heavier rig than my old ax10 based shafty.

One quick note for anyone setting up the new PunkRC Dig Switch (and I'm sure it has probably already been covered elsewhere), make sure your radio frame rate is set to 11ms, the switch will not work on the 5.5 setting. I spend a good 15-20 minutes dicking around with my radio wondering why my dig switch wasn't working until HomerJ said, "Well maybe it's some weird setting on your radio somewhere", and that's when the light came on in my head, lol. BTW, the PunkRC switch is amazing. It's instant, painless, and simple as shit to set up.

Pic of the PunkRC Dig Unit all wired up...

Pics of the completed rig...

Last edited by Boogie; 06-25-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I really like the look of your chassis..Nice build Boogie..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

nice build...sound like you where discouraged by the gear cases too...but thats minimal..different chassis widths help and set up.. the axles are fricken FANTASTIC..my daughter loves hers!!
good job on the build and pictures Boogie
CRAWLER-DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys! Yeah, I thought about seeing if HomerJ could either cut me some pieces that I can bolt on to the chassis to extend and widen the mounting points where the shocks go...either that or get me some of the same thickness delrin he used to make the chassis so I could make them myself. It would help to bring the shock mounting positions out a bit. We'll see how it does though once I shorten the lower links and bring the axles a bit closer to the chassis, it may work out fine after that.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

it looks pretty clean! and im diggin the chassis!!!
peyton. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

What's up with the flat tire look?

Are those the reeaaallly soft mem foams inside?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Looking good! Keep an eve on your battery back there, a good rollover and its cooked
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I just strapped it up there so I could run it around for a minute to make sure everything was working ok, I'm working on cutting out a thick lexan battery plate to mount on the rear axle right now.

The foams, as I described above, are 310's which break down after just a comp or two. I'm switching back to 400's as soon as I get the time to swap them out before this weekend.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Got the lexan battery plate made up last night and mounted on the rear axle (pics coming soon), also swapped out the 310 foams for my old 400s...WORLDS of difference. The 310s were broken down so much that one of them I had to pull out in pieces. The 400s support the added weight of running an moa rig much better. I got a chance to try it out today at our clubs poker run, but was a bit apprehensive about one thing (described below), although everything went ok other than my steering servo crapping out.

I noticed last night while making a run through of everything and adding locktite to several screws, one of the front knuckle screws had issues coming out. I didn't think much of it until I went to put it back in, it bottomed out and before I could put much pressure on it to snug it up, it spun on around. I'm normally don't try to wrench things down too hard, especially when using locktite, nor did I really get a chance to...it just kept going. When I encountered resistance getting it out initially, it leads me to think that maybe the hole was tapped wrong somehow.
Anyhow, the screw managed to stay seated enough with some blue locktite today and I didn't have any issues with it, but you could definitely tell it was loose.

Hopefully I can contact RC4WD soon and figure out how to resolve it as I'm very impressed with the rest of the axle set. I was initially worried about the weight, but it has seemed to work to my advantage so far. My only question now is, does anyone else get a lot of gear noise from these? I lubed the gears with some lithium grease, but it's still pretty noisy, kind of like a tank, lol. A few of the local berg guys I've talked to said they noticed the bully's were louder like that at other comps, but they didn't have any issues with them.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

We will get back to you tonight, please wait.
rc4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabner View Post
My only question now is, does anyone else get a lot of gear noise from these? I lubed the gears with some lithium grease, but it's still pretty noisy, kind of like a tank, lol. A few of the local berg guys I've talked to said they noticed the bully's were louder like that at other comps, but they didn't have any issues with them.
The gears are 6mm wide and steel. They will be noisy for a while and maybe forever. I have heard people have had good luck with gearjelly.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
The gears are 6mm wide and steel. They will be noisy for a while and maybe forever. I have heard people have had good luck with gearjelly.
Plan on forever. LOL. I've been running my bullys since december and they are still noisy. I use Mobil1 synthetic grease on mine and it helps some but its almost a staple of RC4WD stuff. One of the guys who used to run locally with us still runs an original r2 tranny and you know when hes on course if you are on the other side of the hill. Doesnt effect performance its just a thing, the bullys are still the best moa axle on the market, period.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Got a super quick reply from RC4WD last night on getting the axle housing taken care of, big props for the good service.

I can live with the noise, no biggie to me, just making sure it isn't out of the ordinary. I know the R2d's are pretty noisy, a few people in our club used to run them. Long as they hold up, no complaints here.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I just noticed this weekend at WCC I'm having the same issue with the top screw on my driverside knuckle. I'm loving these axles so far otherwise. Good to here they took care of it for you.
derwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwood21 View Post
I just noticed this weekend at WCC I'm having the same issue with the top screw on my driverside knuckle. I'm loving these axles so far otherwise. Good to here they took care of it for you.
Yep, that's the same one as mine.