Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Culetto's 2010 Bully ''Candy''

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Culetto's 2010 Bully ''Candy''

I guess i need to explain this name a bit .....

The biggest problem i have had with the bully's since i got them more than a year ago was also what made them great, BEEF! I'm still amazed at how much i have beaten on these axles and they always are ready for more. This BEEF also raises some other problems that any other bully owner will already know, clearance around the big ass gearboxes. Shocks hit them, links hit them, servos hit them, tires hit them, chassis hit them, etc etc. So when i started planning my 2010 rig i was already considering this as an issue since i knew i was going to a fully sprung rig this season (the torsion front JP Havoc chassis doesn't have shocks so it wasn't really an issue last year). I planned and plotted a LONG time, then one day at work i was talking to a lady at the bar who is ....... an entertainer. She happened to be very excited cause she invented a new move on the ''pole'' ( this is sounding bad even trying to not sound bad) that she described as ''going into a forward handstand, gripping the pole with her thighs and using her legs outstretched to cantilever herself up to grab the pole (OK stop laughing now!). ANYWAY, i had the flashing then and since the Traxxas GTR's are my favorite shocks it all came together surprisingly easy so i have a girl named rig which is OK with me since ''stripper candy'' is a local term for a big wad of cash.

Candylevers? LOL, ok ill get to the pics.

The chassis is an old Havoc i cut the front off of and flipped around. Ill be running a new Prototype Hellstrom before this hits the rocks but the rear of the Havoc is identical to the hellstrom so i could cut/drill this one up and then just transfer everything once the design phase is done without unnecessary changes to the prototype.

Traxxas makes some of the best shocks in the business, ive even seen a couple local racers using these on their 1/8 buggys just because they are so smooth and leak free. The fit between the chassis plates is just perfect.

I used Traxxas Revo Long Travel 2 rockers eventually (i tried them all, trust me). They pivot on the stock rocker posts with the stock bearings. The bottom of the rocker is ''6.1m coarse'' threaded so it took some hunting to find nuts that would fit them. I just drilled the lower inside hole out to fit and dropped them in. Again, EASY.

I'm not nearly as cool as some people who can have their parts custom made, LOL. These front actuator links for the cantilevers are actually an old Kamikaze steering link i cut in the middle of the raised part and used both halves. The links need to angle in a bit like this so they clear the servo/gearbox and also so they line up better with the revo ends.

Some of these turned out blurry but ill change them out when i put the final chassis on it. Tires turned all the way, they now hit the lower links before anything else, the actuator link isn't even close, HURRAY!

This is max flex, ill have a hole in the body for the rockers to push through, i thought about moving stuff around but the body mod will look cool.

This thing has a lot of articulation (like a good stripper should). Notice that even at full lock and full articulation the tire is only barely pushing into the lower link.

The GTR shocks really make this a tuner setup which i like. The oil/spring/preload adjustments are all easily made and really allow me to track what works and doesn't.

I also switched to a cast front Bully so i could better tune the weight balance.

There is still room in my chassis for the electronics and the battery will still fit into the belly like i like it. The setup is NOT heavy, its actually surprisingly light. Just to make sure i can still keep as much weight as possible down on the rig 90% of the hardware will be titanium. I raided RC4WD's sale a few weeks back and bought 50-60 of every size they had in Ti screws. The upper links are 4mm Lunsford Punishers. I might switch out all the revo ends to their aluminum racing versions also but im not sure yet, Traxxas also has a lightweight rocker pivot that i have ordered and Hard Core Racing makes Titanium Revo rockers in a variety of sizes i will have to order also.

If you want to build the same setup i have all the JP Customs, Traxxas and RC4WD part numbers.

Flame On
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That is looking good man! I've got a cantilever setup coming for my Super Bully!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

wow - like the idea, looking forwards to the video :-P
crawler-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

This is the best build I have come across yet. I want to see some video of it on the rocks.
dasmonkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I love the story and the moment of inspiration behind the build... it's good to have things that inspire you in life

this is a very cool build I'm pumped to see the coming progress

nice job bud.
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Old guy

Can we get some pics or video of the stripper doing her move on the pole.

I think you got a great Idea here, it makes me want to try it. keep us posted.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post

X2...

But really,sweet idea..I can't wait to see how it performs..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I really like the "out of the box" thinking on this one! That is a great way to move the shocks out of the way and allow much greater turning. I might have to give something like this a try!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post

I think you got a great Idea here, it makes me want to try it. keep us posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
X2...
For some reason i dont think it would be the first time Candy was asked this question.

Thanks for the comments all.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

nice mods Chris,,,looks good,,do you get any inner chassis twist from having the shocks inboard,,ie: pressure from the shocks pushing the side plates
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Man that is slicker than dog snot.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Clever setup, can't wait to see some runnng pics..maybe a vid?
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Awesome job! Im curious to see how it performs!
atekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

great set up, that much steering on bully's is sick. Great fab job on the whole set up.
kawboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Dog snawt! hahaha

Thanks for the comments guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
nice mods Chris,,,looks good,,do you get any inner chassis twist from having the shocks inboard,,ie: pressure from the shocks pushing the side plates
Yes it does apply some different pressure because of the angle change of the articulation link and the rocker itself moving. Its not really more flex than the Havoc torsion setup just a bit more leverage from the rocker. Once i put the cross braces in it firmed right up.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

This build is superb! Great idea with the 'Candylevers'! Now I just gotta convince wifey that a Stripper bar is the place to go for inspiration!!!
WolverineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Hi,

"Candylevers" are very, very, very cool

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I like it....

Has me thinking of my 2010 Build now.. I've got an idea now, from your build. That I'll use on my New HaVoc Build..
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I was thinking of a good chassis to get....i might wait on that one and see how this candy works out. you might just have invented a new chassis here for a vendor to come up with.
on the 6th pic looks like it might try and lift the body up, which i'm sure if thats all you have to worry about......
looks good, & looks like you have alot of people staying tuned to this thread, nice build
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Such a cool idea. It will be nice to see how it works for you.

Looks like I will have to give those shock a try, with the way you talk about them.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote