Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: a few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default a few questions

When going down steep hills i use to roll a bit so i figured i would lighten up the rear and got some plastic wheels. Now it will stop on a dime but going down hill the rearend comes up and flips me over. Not sure what to do here and of you guys have any ideas?

heres my set up

F/R light weight bully axles
BJ v3 chassis
HH BRXL esc
Punk dig
Mayhem 7 wheels up front / Axial plastic in back
White rovers
Hitec 7950 servo
novak 55's
Boids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

You could use rear dig to try and keep the rear down on steep descents.
The Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I tried using plastic wheels on the rear of my bully as well, No weights, just a stock proline black wheel with some Rovers shoe-goo'd on. Did the same thing. the weight bias needs to be better, I went back to regular wheels to keep the weight where it was best.
Now I just dig going down hill. (almost always)
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm flipping useing front dig, using rear dig just puts it all in a bind
Boids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If your flipping in dig going down hill then it's the weight bias. My rig did the same thing, it would flop forwards, backwards, hell, it would even flop "sidewards" all due to the small amount of less weight from the plastic wheels. As soon as I changed back, it ALL went away.
I did add some stick on weights to a set and they worked but I figured for that hassle I might as well just use the true beadlock wheels.
If they are the only wheels you've got right now, try adding "3-5" of the 1/4oz stick on weights evenly around the wheel and make sure it's vented.
You could zip tie them on the rear axles first to see where the sweet spot is, but they should be on the wheels to keep the CG as low and on the tires as possible.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
but they should be on the wheels to keep the CG as low and on the tires as possible.
Ummmm.......about 1/2 the weight is ABOVE the axle, thus not as low as possible........just saying......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Ummmm.......about 1/2 the weight is ABOVE the axle, thus not as low as possible........just saying......
I understand waht you're thinking, there has been arguements on where the weight is best at, be it knuckle or wheels. The majority bottom line is that if it's in the wheels, it keeps the weight centered over the tires contact patch.
Even if the wieght was distributed at 4 equal points around the wheel, it still puts 50% of the weight "below" the axle, as well as placing it as far apart as possible for better side hill handling.
If you're going to add weight, the wheels are the best place because it will get you the lowest point possible other than the tire foam combo.

Some even debate that the rotating force of the weighted wheels VS. knuckle weights is better on drive train parts due to it's momentum instead of instantly stopping with the rigs weight still bearing down.