Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: traxxas gtr shocks on a bully?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default traxxas gtr shocks on a bully?

a bully i recently picked up has gtr shocks on it. looking around this forum it seems like a couple people have used them. any advice on spring/oil combos that work? right now the shocks seem very stiff.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Stiff in spring or oil??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Stiff in spring or oil??
seems like both. i need to put in some lighter oil and change the springs (currently have yellow; not sure if that is the softest). i guess i was really asking if they have enough travel to give enough articulation.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm running YeahRacing (?) front shocks, they are rather short and work. My issue is shock length and my setup.
I can get a dimension later. Really need to post pictures so others can see what I'm running.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

It depends on what the GTR's came off of. The revo shocks have smaller piston holes compaired to the jato shocks due to the cantilever of the revo.
I run mini t springs, rear set, soft in the front and the medium in the rear. then i also drilled the shock piston holes with a 1/16" drill bit then run like 15wt front and 25wt rear.
Just what worked for me and could be a starting point for you.
Hope it helped
TheSaundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaundo View Post
It depends on what the GTR's came off of. The revo shocks have smaller piston holes compaired to the jato shocks due to the cantilever of the revo.
I run mini t springs, rear set, soft in the front and the medium in the rear. then i also drilled the shock piston holes with a 1/16" drill bit then run like 15wt front and 25wt rear.
Just what worked for me and could be a starting point for you.
Hope it helped
i need to tear the shocks apart but from the feel and your description i would guess i have revo shocks. do you have pics of mini t springs on gtr shock? curious how the retainer fits the springs.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

The springs are actually internal. They fit perfect. I just set the spring in on top of the spring then put the shock top on. Then you have no wheel in the spring messing up how the spring sits, no spring cups, just more simple if ya ask me.
I just sold the last set with a chassis but am building a second set shoot me a PM an I'll email ya some pics if ya need.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The springs are actually internal. They fit perfect. I just set the spring in on top of the spring then put the shock top on. Then you have no wheel in the spring messing up how the spring sits, no spring cups, just more simple if ya ask me.
I just sold the last set with a chassis but am building a second set shoot me a PM an I'll email ya some pics if ya need.
i'm guessing you can't use the bladder in the shock if you are pulling a spring in there, right? also, which mini t springs are you using? front or rear? and is it the soft, medium or hard springs?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

so i picked up some mini-t front springs today. i pulled them apart and drilled extra holes in the pistons so they move much more smoothly.

just need to figure out how to assemble with the springs inside. biggest question is the bladder. go or no go?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I leave the bladder in. You're using the bladder more as a seal than anything. It's not like an 1/8th scale buggy dropping 8ft out of the sky were ya need the cushion of the bladder.
Plus with the flat portion of the spring end sitting up against the bladder shouldn't have a prob and if ya do, theyre cheap.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I leave the bladder in. You're using the bladder more as a seal than anything. It's not like an 1/8th scale buggy dropping 8ft out of the sky were ya need the cushion of the bladder.
Plus with the flat portion of the spring end sitting up against the bladder shouldn't have a prob and if ya do, theyre cheap.
ok. i assembled mine last night with the medium springs in the rear and firm in the front. feels pretty smooth and it did help give me a little extra clearance around the gearbox. thanks for the recommendation.

i'll get some pics up of the rig as is later today. next step is to do the bearing mod to the steering knuckles. then it will be time to get some electronics installed. that may be awhile since i'm trying to do this on the cheap. need to sell or trade off some of my nitro rigs to get what i need.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Glad I could help. I think you'll like the shocks once ya get them tuned to your liking.