Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Brushless???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #1

Default Brushless???

Is anyone running brushless motors on their Bully or other MOA? Wondering about Revolvers or how other brushless would work, and what ESCs folks might be using?
m59y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Brushless???

Its unfortunate that forums are so dead.

I could see snubby revolvers and micro castle esc's working decently. Its hard to beat the smoothness of a nice brushed set up in a moa rig.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Call HolmesHobbies. I'm sure they'd talk your ear off about the pros and cons.
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by m59y View Post
Is anyone running brushless motors on their Bully or other MOA? Wondering about Revolvers or how other brushless would work, and what ESCs folks might be using?
I just finished a Bully II with snubnose Revolvers, 1400kv, Mamba micro X esc's, and Holmes Hobbies SH500V3 servo.

I've had about ~6 little packs through it and am loving it so far. There are a few things I think are quite helpful to make a combo like this work well.

Tune the esc's similar to JRH's video about programming Castle esc's with brushless motors. The throttle curve makes a huge difference in low speed startup. I feel very in control with that configuration.

You also need a radio that you can tweak the channel mixing in a somewhat granular manner. You could probably call Holmes and get a pair well matched, but I was in a hurry and wanted my toys as quickly as possible, so I just ordered a pair

I'll drop a thread about the build, and plan to try and document my progress and feedback.

Cheers,
Gable
pcgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
I just finished a Bully II with snubnose Revolvers, 1400kv, Mamba micro X esc's, and Holmes Hobbies SH500V3 servo.

I've had about ~6 little packs through it and am loving it so far. There are a few things I think are quite helpful to make a combo like this work well.

Tune the esc's similar to JRH's video about programming Castle esc's with brushless motors. The throttle curve makes a huge difference in low speed startup. I feel very in control with that configuration.

You also need a radio that you can tweak the channel mixing in a somewhat granular manner. You could probably call Holmes and get a pair well matched, but I was in a hurry and wanted my toys as quickly as possible, so I just ordered a pair

I'll drop a thread about the build, and plan to try and document my progress and feedback.

Cheers,
Gable
Thanks Gable, glad you ended up getting your Bully2 - I think mine will be under the tree next Friday along with a Flysky GT3C and Holmes SH500V3 servo too. Will be close to your build, but undecided on motors/ESCs. I have an 1800kV revolver sitting in my parts bin that I tried with an RX4 ESC and didn't like the combo, so haven't used. Not sure I want the noise from the Revolvers, I think microSidewinders are supposed to be a little quieter, or could try Alka's code on some generic ESCs.

BR Mini ESCs are out of stock everywhere and reply from HH said no idea when they would get them. Maybe a couple of HW1080s if I go brushed - have tried to find info on if the case/heatsink can be removed, but no luck there yet.
m59y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by m59y View Post
Thanks Gable, glad you ended up getting your Bully2 - I think mine will be under the tree next Friday along with a Flysky GT3C and Holmes SH500V3 servo too. Will be close to your build, but undecided on motors/ESCs. I have an 1800kV revolver sitting in my parts bin that I tried with an RX4 ESC and didn't like the combo, so haven't used. Not sure I want the noise from the Revolvers, I think microSidewinders are supposed to be a little quieter, or could try Alka's code on some generic ESCs.

BR Mini ESCs are out of stock everywhere and reply from HH said no idea when they would get them. Maybe a couple of HW1080s if I go brushed - have tried to find info on if the case/heatsink can be removed, but no luck there yet.
They're loud, compared to super quiet brushed setups, but it doesn't bother me any. The Bully is so much damn fun to drive, I could care less.

I really like the mamba micro x's, being able to tune them with castle link and dial in the throttle curves makes them really nice to drive.

The GT3 with hacked firmware is fantastic, I love being able to tweak.

Pop a thread when you start building!

Cheers,
Gable
Old 12-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm currently waiting for an update from H.H. about stock replenishment. I'd *like* to buy the mini br and a couple matched crawlmasters, along with his 500v3 servo all at the same time... But I'm getting impatient!
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanotis View Post
I'm currently waiting for an update from H.H. about stock replenishment. I'd *like* to buy the mini br and a couple matched crawlmasters, along with his 500v3 servo all at the same time... But I'm getting impatient!
SuperShafty has the servos in stock.