Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: XVD or Universals?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2023, 07:24 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default XVD or Universals?

Hello everyone,
I'm planing to build a bully 2 from a kit. I actually build one years ago, but sold it (regret it).
Anyways, I see that rc4wd released universal shafts: https://store.rc4wd.com/Universal-Se...es_p_7209.html
If I remember correctly, my 1st bully 2 kit came with XVDs: https://store.rc4wd.com/XVD-Axle-for...le_p_3303.html

What do you guys run nowadays? Whats your opinion?
ssh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2023, 10:30 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: XVD or Universals?

I run dlux shafts. they will never break and you get increased steering.

https://dluxfab.com/7mm-FBA-Bully2-F...afts-p12079026
xxlostonexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 03:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlostonexx View Post
I run dlux shafts. they will never break and you get increased steering.

https://dluxfab.com/7mm-FBA-Bully2-F...afts-p12079026
It says you need to drill the axle tubes to fit the new shafts. What about the bearing on the end of the axle? Do these shafts fit into the bearing?

Also, how do you mount the wheel hub? You can choose the axles with either the 8mm or wraith/xr stub?
Old 04-01-2023, 11:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Universals always, you'll get more angle and strength compared to a CVD/XVD type.

If you go the Dlux route you do need their knuckles too. The 8mm stub will require new hubs for your wheels, if you want it to be like stock get the wraith/XR stub.

Are you breaking axles? do you need more strength? If so the 8mm stub and huge tang (and new gears) will provide that.

I still run stock universals myself and haven't had any issues but I dont do the silly stuff comping makes you do at times (getting bound up and driving through it).

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-01-2023 at 12:15 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

If I go with the dlux knuckles for 8mm stub and dlux fba axles with 8mm stubs, which hub should I choose so it can be mounted on the stock bully 2 wheels?
Old 04-01-2023, 12:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

These are the 8mm hubs: https://dluxfab.ecwid.com/Wheel-hubs...haft-p19777271

These use a bolt pattern of 6 x .666" which does match up with the Bully wheels, I just double checked.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:31 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
These are the 8mm hubs: https://dluxfab.ecwid.com/Wheel-hubs...haft-p19777271

These use a bolt pattern of 6 x .666" which does match up with the Bully wheels, I just double checked.
What should be the size… closest to the stock wheel hub?
Old 04-01-2023, 01:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thats up to what you prefer. Personally I prefer a narrow track width over a wider one but you also need to consider if you have any clearance issues. I added the Dlux knuckles and had to step up to a wider (RC4WD) hub (not the 8mm hubs) and add a small spacer to get the steering link to clear the tire.

I'll try to get some measurements off my Bully II a bit later. I have the Dlux knuckles but not the 8mm stub shafts so these should be close enough that all you might need is some spacers to fine tune them (linked below)

If you have a 3D printer you can print these spacers I put up on Thingiverse, these are just to fine tune your fitment: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4761180
Old 04-01-2023, 02:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Okay I pulled a wheel off my Bully II and if you want it as narrow as possible a .350 hub with a small 1.7mm spacer will match what I did to clear the Dlux knuckles. Or you can play it safe and go 1.5mm wider with a .475 hub.

Since the 8mm stub shafts may be slightly different you should probably also email Dlux to see if they have a recommendation, they're pretty helpful.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-01-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:04 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Okay I pulled wheel off my Bully II and if you want it as narrow as possible a .350 hub with a small 1.7mm spacer will match what I did to clear the Dlux knuckles. Or you can play it safe and go 1.5mm wider with a .475 hub.

Since the 8mm stub shafts may be slightly different you should probably also email Dlux to see if they have a recommendation, they're pretty helpful.
Thank you for the help! I have already emailed them.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:43 AM   #11

I just bought a Bully 2 kit and I must say I'm a little disappointed with the steering. Not sure if I have a dud but the maximum angle I can get before the wheel starts twitching is less than 35 degrees. On RC4WD's website it says that the XVD can do 50 and the universals can do 45. Do people actually get 45 degrees out of the universals? I'm looking to upgrade but not sure if I want to be disappointed again... On a side note, do people actually get 50 degrees on the XVD's or is mine simply not working correctly?
v3dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:18 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I've never tried the XVDs so I cant comment on the max angle. I will say that all front axles will surge/twitch when they get close to the max angle especially when theres no load (rig upside down or wheels off the ground), put the rig down and it should lessen a little bit. That said there could also be something wrong.

If you can post up a short video that would be helpful.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
I've never tried the XVDs so I cant comment on the max angle. I will say that all front axles will surge/twitch when they get close to the max angle especially when theres no load (rig upside down or wheels off the ground), put the rig down and it should lessen a little bit. That said there could also be something wrong.

If you can post up a short video that would be helpful.
Thanks for the quick reply! As you said though, this is on a test bed with wheels in the air and servo horn removed. All going by feeling. My old Berg Tracer does the same thing at pretty much the same angle so I assumed it was normal but wanted to confirm. I did however break the CVD pin on my berg from running it that way so I wanted to avoid that. Sourcing parts for a model that old was impossible so I had to get creative to fix it up. I then decided to order the Bully 2 axles (after a few drinks that became the kit) because I wanted more steering but now I'm stuck with the same thing. I see pictures of some Bully's with insane steering angles but I wonder if those are all running the Dlux axles which is out of my budget. The universals are pretty cheap so I guess I will try it out to compare...
v3dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Well I just checked my Bully 2 and it does have the CVDs after all. I can get what looks to be about 50° of steering though I did set the trim a bit conservative at maybe 45° just so I dont run the shaft into the drive cup and break things. Its surprisingly smooth at fully lock, it still surges a little bit but not as bad as I was expecting and not as bad as most of my other rigs that use universals.

You might try applying some light machine oil or grease to the CVDs.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-27-2024 at 07:03 PM.

Tags
bully 2, cvd, universals, xvd

XVD or Universals? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xvd reden Newbie General 4 01-13-2011 02:13 PM
Xvd dragrcr RC4WD Bully 0 07-26-2010 05:18 PM
V6 XVD Pin crash RC4WD Bully 27 07-19-2010 03:27 AM