Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: My RTR TF2 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My RTR TF2 Build

So I've been on the fence about the TF2. I have a couple SCX10's and I really enjoy driving those, but I wasn't sure about the more "scale" driving of the TF2. Well I finally decided now was the time due to me starting a YouTube channel dedicated to crawlers. So here is the beginning of my first build thread dedicated to the TF2.

I really like the look of the chassis and the leaf springs, even though they don't offer much articulation (front there is almost zero), surprisingly it manages to get the job done.

For my first drive, I took off the rock sliders and the rear tube bumper for the "I'm driving my everyday truck" effect.

First drive video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CEPxd09T3g

Last edited by stonecold; 02-19-2015 at 02:20 PM.
stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My TF2 Build

Next up was definitely some retro 80's graphics. Found some on rpphobby.com and ordered them along with some RC4WD Gelande 2 black wagon wheels with dirt grabber tires. I have always wanted to do a truck with the dirt grabber tires but with the small size, they never looked right on the SCX10's.

Install of the decals went really smooth and turned out great! The wheels on the other hand...not so great. The wheels from the Gelande are pin drive and for some reason 2 of them wouldn't turn freely. Upon inspection, the wheel was being pushed right up against the axle and wouldn't turn.

So, I have found some RC4WD 5 lug spacers that are a 12mm hex and a +6mm offset, just waiting on them to get here.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default My RTR TF2 Build

So I got my 12mm wheel adapters and they look great.

Also got a set of these.

Wheels mounted up.

Although I must admit, the stock wheels look real nice with the hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My RTR TF2 Build

Looks great so far! I am going to have to get a set of those graphics, they really make the truck. Perfect terrain there in your first post. Eager to see how it evolves.
Got TF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looking good. I agree about the dirt grabbers, I have a set on one of my TF2's. They look very scale for the rig. Great job!
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, this is definitely a fun vehicle to work on.

After doing some reading I went and ordered a few performance oriented parts. I got the Gelande 2 front shock hoops, 90mm superlift shocks (because they're white and they'll work with what look I'm going for), and a 3 link kit for the front. I'm keeping the rear leaf springs because I think they perform great as is.

Once I get the larger shocks on the front end, I'll try it out with the leaf spring set up just to see if it'll give me what I want, if not, I'll go with the 3 link and test that out.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default My RTR TF2 Build

So the three link got here before the shocks so... I installed the three link with the stock shocks.

Here's some before shots. You can really see it's trying hard to flex just on two tires.
Before:

Now after the three link is installed. The suspension easily articulates to get on top of those tires.
After:

Last edited by stonecold; 02-20-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am definitely impressed with how much it freed up the front.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

1. How much coffee did you have to drink before shooting your intro?
2. You drive like I do. Bodywork be damned!

I'm debating on the TF2 or the G2 myself. Or an SCX10... or an Ascender. Too bad RC4WD doesn't offer all the bodies for the 2 different chassis. I hated leafs on my High Lift, but like the Hilux body... or the D90. Too many choices.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looks like you are having some fun! Make sure to check out the sticky for all the little tips and tricks to get the most out of the TF2!
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So what's everyone using for their interior?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I'm going to use a set of wraith seats and make my own floor pan
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I used the CC hand interior. If you're concerned about adding excessive weight you may not want to use it.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I got home a little later than I wanted to last night but my RC4WD 90mm Superlift shocks came so I decided I'd quickly bolt up the front with the Gelande shock towers to see where the front would sit with the stock 90mm chrome shocks.

I do have a pair of 100mm super lifts on their way because I'm not sure about how the TF2 sits with 90mm's all around.

Put some KYB stickers on them instead of the superlift ones because the colors look better.

The front sits quite a bit higher than the rear with the new shocks so I put the metal Tough Armor bumper with a winch to get some more weight on the front end.

Last edited by stonecold; 02-24-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Finally got 2 of my projects done so coming back to this..finally!

I got the 4 link installed and all I can say is wow, this thing really wakes up with the links. Swapped the RC4WD Superlift shocks for some Axial SCX10 units. With the internally sprung shocks the rears seemed to stick a little since I put the links on, I used shock oil to lube them up but still didn't feel right. Now with the Axial shocks on it, it really feels smooth.

Also decided to change up the graphics on it

Then I kinda got bored with the red color...have to admit I'm not a fan of red...

I'm planning on painting it a bright blue, but the flat black look is really starting to grow on me.

Last edited by stonecold; 05-20-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Was able to get some work done last night on the TF2. Decided to go with the flat black look. Added some blue graphics from RPPhobby.com. Also painted up some turn signals and tail lights.

Last edited by stonecold; 04-28-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Really liking that black with the bright blue vinyl. Works really well
Old 04-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got TF2 View Post
Really liking that black with the bright blue vinyl. Works really well
Thanks, yours is actually the one that made me want to paint mine blue. Think I've changed my mind now though.

Last edited by stonecold; 04-17-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Update:
Finally decided to light this thing up, I got the RC4WD 12 LED set, just have to clean up my wiring a bit. I also went back to the leaf springs, I like the way it handles with the links but, an RC on leaf springs is just plain cool!

Also decided that I needed a new front bumper since I couldn't get it to sit right with the chrome front bumper and I needed the other one for my SCX10 Mopar Ram Runner, I got the RC4WD steel Marlin tube bumper and installed that one along with a RC4WD Warn fairlead and winch, then I busted out the dremmel and cut off the lower valance. I really didn't want to but with the PitBull Growlers, I needed to. After I did i decided that I should have done that to begin with, looks so much better and it helped free up the front suspension.

Then I installed the Gelande 2 shock towers and some KYB rebadged Super Lift 90 mm shocks

While I was at my LHS, standing and staring at the parts (Don't we all do that? I had a reason for going there but, as soon as I walk through the doors, I always forget why I'm there!) I noticed RPM's Traxxas Slash mud flaps and had a thought, so...

I dropped the dorky looking rear bumper, found some long screws and spacers and installed some mud flaps. The mud flaps are really stiff so I might order up some HPI Blitz ESE mud flaps so that they can move more freely. As much as I think full scale mud flaps are hillbilly and redneck, I love mudflaps on RC's.

Last edited by stonecold; 04-16-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Looking great, the color combo with those lights really make a difference. Can't wait for some action shots

My RTR TF2 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ny TF2 build so far. 68_f100 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 10-06-2014 09:55 PM
New TF2 Build etcdave RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 09-13-2014 07:38 PM
New (to me) TF2 Build tomvaillencourt RC4WD Trail Finder 2 47 04-11-2014 10:27 PM
Mt TF2 build jwalker RC4WD Trail Finder 2 8 05-18-2012 03:06 PM