Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: tf2 XVD 2's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default tf2 XVD 2's

currently testing a set of the new generation of xvd's for rc4wd. now granted these are for the yota 2 axle i managed to get them to fit on my yota 1 axles.

first thought on these axles out of the package: BEEFEY! alot more material on the axle itself and the cup containing the cvd. pins appear to be a large diameter also. these also do not use a e clip to retain the axle in the housing. the axle is held in by the outer hub and bearings. i feel this is more convenient for changing parts if needed. no need to fully disassemble the entire axle.

installation went like this...grind grind grind on the outer end of the axle. theres just over a mm of difference between the axle housing and the axle pin retaining ring. i had to remove the material slowly as not to comprimise the structural integrity of the axle housing. this took about an hour of careful grinding with the dremel and a metal cutting bit and some grinding stones. alot of cut and fit, cut and fit. after i got the fit just right i discovered that you need to shorten the kingpin screws just about an extra mm or two. once done they are bind free and turn very smoothly.

like i said, beefy and well made. 45 degrees of turning angle and im not kidding. i measured it with my protractor after installing these on my tf2. ive had it out 2 times so far. once at a comp that was in the woods (fairly easy trails) the second session was in the rocks. alot of riprap rock. a ton of pinch points and binding of the tires. absolutely impressed with the new xvd's. no failures of any kind. and now my tf2 turns almost as good as my c2 rig (its got all vp front end) im not easy on either of my rigs as i built them to compete and take a beating. ill be adding to this thread as i get more time on these. ill have a pic or two for you also. so far i give these

im including a pic of my tf2. for the trail run in installed my c2 tires and rims. still iven with the bigger tires no issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by dragonracing; 10-14-2013 at 09:14 PM.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: tf2 XVD 2's

i know that the last version of the xvds were very prone to breakage. ive been assured that these are much stronger. im pretty sure that earlier version left a bad taste in many peoples mouths. im hoping these are the answer for that problem.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah I hope they are better too. I may pick up the new axle housing to use with these
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

you only needt o change over to the yota 2 fromt axle.

if you get them get these ones. XVD Axle for Ultimate Scale Yota II G2 Axle

the other ones dont have as much steering as these. currently the complete axle is out of stock but i think you can piece it together. not sure if its the same cost to piece it together or not.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
currently testing a set of the new generation of xvd's for rc4wd. now granted these are for the yota 2 axle i managed to get them to fit on my yota 1 axles.

first thought on these axles out of the package: BEEFEY! alot more material on the axle itself and the cup containing the cvd. pins appear to be a large diameter also. these also do not use a e clip to retain the axle in the housing. the axle is held in by the outer hub and bearings. i feel this is more convenient for changing parts if needed. no need to fully disassemble the entire axle.

installation went like this...grind grind grind on the outer end of the axle. theres just over a mm of difference between the axle housing and the axle pin retaining ring. i had to remove the material slowly as not to comprimise the structural integrity of the axle housing. this took about an hour of careful grinding with the dremel and a metal cutting bit and some grinding stones. alot of cut and fit, cut and fit. after i got the fit just right i discovered that you need to shorten the kingpin screws just about an extra mm or two. once done they are bind free and turn very smoothly.

like i said, beefy and well made. 45 degrees of turning angle and im not kidding. i measured it with my protractor after installing these on my tf2. ive had it out 2 times so far. once at a comp that was in the woods (fairly easy trails) the second session was in the rocks. alot of riprap rock. a ton of pinch points and binding of the tires. absolutely impressed with the new xvd's. no failures of any kind. and now my tf2 turns almost as good as my c2 rig (its got all vp front end) im not easy on either of my rigs as i built them to compete and take a beating. ill be adding to this thread as i get more time on these. ill have a pic or two for you also. so far i give these

im including a pic of my tf2. for the trail run in installed my c2 tires and rims. still iven with the bigger tires no issues.

Very nice, glad to see RC4WD stepping up! Nice beige Toyota too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

allright. these are legit. i pushed them very hard today we have a comp coming up at our hobby shop and i worked today to change the pile around. then tested everything we changed. i pushed the truck as hard if not harder than my c2 rig. these held up to everything i threw at them. however i did manage to strip a kingpin screw so i may change over to the yota 2 axle. but im going to try a fix first to see if that holds up. but i did not have ANY issues with the xvd 2 axles. not one at all. i love how sharp it turns now. i have total confidence with these axles. i would recommend a set to all tf2 owners. the ultimate setup is to change to the yota 2 axle but these will fit with mods.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

It is interesting to note that they have deleted the grove in the axle for the E clip on the Yota II axles.

Makes me wonder if the E clip has been stopping the 'end float' movement of the axle causing it to load up and break out the edge of the cup as everyone is seeing. Cup is still way too thin agreed.

I wonder if anyone has tried the Yota 1 XVD's int he Yota 1 housings WITHOUT the e-clip with any notable improvement??

I'm just waiting to hear back from RC4WD at the moment to see if they are going to come to the party and replace a XVD from my TF-2 which failed after all but 15 minutes gentle use.

Have also read that there was some people had noted that the small pin was slightly too short and could have been a contributing factor in the high failure rate of the Yota I XVD's??
Holden Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

good posibility. the cup on the new xvds are a bit thicker and the pin is a little bigger and fits better. im still running them with no issues. i greased them up pretty good to cut down on wear. so far no troubles. they work great. i still need to replace my yota 1 axles witht he yota 2 version. (stripped kingpin) figured instead of buying another housing ide just buy the whole axle. and i think rc4wd should replace your bad axle. try running without the clip and see if that helps.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'll try taking the clips off of mine. I have a feeling it won't help. But I'll post results since I plan on switching to yota2 axles anyway.
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

by the way. the new xvd's turn much farther than the old ones do. from 35`on the old to 45` on the new ones. it turns like my ax does with vanquish axles.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Another day of punishment in the books. no failures. these are legit. the 45` of turning radius really helps alot. lately ive been having terrible runs in the comps. today i had my best runs in class one. perfect score -20 in one run and a -7 in the other. with my 60 scale points in in the top 3 as far as i can figure. we had some very tight corners to get to the gates today and the addition turning radius was a super bonus. guys go pick these up. mod your axles if you have to or buy the yota2 front axle and your tf2 will perform so much better. and you dont have to worry about breakage. i sure dont.

I had to loan out a stock axle end to another competitor who broke a stock axle end today.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I've gone through 4 or 5 sets of XVD now, all failed because of the thin wall tearing apart (all have been the same side - the longer of the two)
Leaving the clip out on one set didn't stop the failure.
The new xvd do look promising, but I've lost some faith in the rc4wd product- love it but I can't count on reliability. Had diff gear problems too' axle housings that need rework right from new etc....trying to decide if I should roll the dice on another rc4wd experiment.....?
However RC4WD have always been good on the warranty - thumbs up for that!!
arnesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnesto View Post
I've gone through 4 or 5 sets of XVD now, all failed because of the thin wall tearing apart (all have been the same side - the longer of the two)
Leaving the clip out on one set didn't stop the failure.
The new xvd do look promising, but I've lost some faith in the rc4wd product- love it but I can't count on reliability. Had diff gear problems too' axle housings that need rework right from new etc....trying to decide if I should roll the dice on another rc4wd experiment.....?
However RC4WD have always been good on the warranty - thumbs up for that!!
have faith. ive been punishing these for a while now and im really impressed. the cup IS thicker so they are holding up very well. i think they finally got it right.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

sadly i must say i no longer own this rig. she has been traded off. the axles still going strong at last report. i traded of this rig for an onroad racer (my true calling) i still have my c2 landcrusher and i wont give that up. so i must say adios to testing the axles. they took some serious punishment and performed beautifully. buy these with confidence. mod to make fit in yota one axles or if you have yota two axes they drop right in. 45 degrees of turning angle really helps the tf2. thanks to rc4wd for the support and the axles. doug.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

its really hard to read your reply, my eyes keep gravitating to your avatar
501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

yeah sorry bout that. lol. shes a keeper....i wish. lol.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I am looking for some how-to's on installing these on my new Gelande?
Anyone have a link?
ScottinBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinBend View Post
I am looking for some how-to's on installing these on my new Gelande?
Anyone have a link?
Disassemble front/rear axle. Replace the dogbones and stub shafts with the XVD. Re-assemble the axle and enjoy.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

So all I need to do is take the c-hub off and slide the old out and then slide the new one in?
ScottinBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinBend View Post
So all I need to do is take the c-hub off and slide the old out and then slide the new one in?
I don't have any experience with the new Yota II axles. However, it isn't as simple as the Axial axles. On the Yota I axles, You will have to completely disassemble the axle to change the axle shafts and gears.

It is because of the washers and e-clips that are on the axle shaft near the diff.

It seems that you'll have to remove the knuckles and then pull out the axle shafts. You may have to remove the 3rd member...

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 01-07-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

tf2 XVD 2's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TF2 XVD Question BMoreScale RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 02-22-2013 08:24 AM
Xvd reden Newbie General 4 01-13-2011 02:13 PM
Xvd dragrcr RC4WD Bully 0 07-26-2010 05:18 PM
Rc4wd xvd HiloDB1 Kyosho Crawlers 34 11-20-2009 02:44 PM