Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: project mini-me (FSJ content)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

Default project mini-me (FSJ content)

Hi gang,

A couple months ago I got bit by the RC 4X4 bug with a Vaterra Ascender Blazer RTR, a great rig right out of the box. After a few of the usual upgrades; Dinky interior, wheels, diff covers, steering servo, etc., I came to a bit of a crossroad. Continue to sink money into the Blazer, or build something a little more personal. I've been a Jeep guy for over 20 yrs having owned/built 9 Jeeps of various types, and currently own 4. I could go the easy route and build a copy of my '95 YJ crawler, but after I found a lexan bodied J10, there was no doubt I had to try to model my '71 J2000 Gladiator!

I've owned this Jeep since 2002 and it is mechanically rebuilt, but cosmetically untouched. I did replace the grill and front bumper with a set from a Wagoneer, but I haven't touched the paint or body. It has a lot of patina. Should be fun to replicate to the best of my limited modeling ability.
easyover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #2

Default Re: project mini-me (FSJ content)

I with the body. There are two big challenges with this Parma J10 body. First is the scale. It's called 1:10, but it's closer to 1:12. It's proportions are funky and it's wheelbase is 10". The 1:1 short wheelbase is 118". Oh well, It'll have to do. I don't currently have the skills for a scratch built body.
The second problem is the molded in late model grill with square headlights. This had to be changed! The body style of the J series pickups didn't change from '63-'87 with the exception of the grills (chassis, drivetrains, interiors and such evolved, but the bodies stayed relatively unchanged). FSJ owners are passionate about their favorite grill, and mine has to be the '70-'79 "razor".
So the grill is where I started:

Then it was on to paint. My 1:1 has a very faded two tone paint with gray primer and rust peaking through, so I figured I'd start with painting the inside first:
Old 04-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #3

Default Re: project mini-me (FSJ content)

I went with the TF2 SWB due to the high level of scale detail, leaf spring chassis, and it was the closest wheelbase to the body. I used RC4WD 35T motor, Dynamite esc, 2S lipo hardcase and Spectrum DX4C. Here's some pics of the inaugural trail run:

project mini-me (FSJ content) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any crawlers Dawson, FSJ, or GP area? jhedsy Canada 2 04-20-2014 09:59 PM
Little Gasser -straight axle V8 VW content shutupanddrive Non Crawler RC's 12 02-15-2010 03:50 PM