Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Tf2 kit or marlin crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tf2 kit or marlin crawler

So i really like the marlin crawler but also like kit idea. So would there be any benefit to getting the kit and buying most of parts to make like the marlin but in kit form?
treadway47025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Tf2 kit or marlin crawler

I have a TF2 kit and frankly I am NOT impressed. The instructions don't match the parts and some parts simply do not fit. If I had to do it over I would buy the Marlin RTR.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm still in the process of finishing my tf2 kit, waiting to buy a radio and wire everything up so I can speak for what I know so far.

The directions are not the best. You end up with a bunch of extra screws left over. Some people have problems with holes not drilled out or threads where there should be. Others have problems with the body not fitting properly. It was fun building my kit, haven't experienced any major issues. Have one problem where the body mounts on the side not fitting (debating on cutting off the extra length in the side mounts. Do i regret buying my kit, no, least yet, maybe that will change when i see the truck up and running. The marlin rtr I think would not be a bad choice from what I've seen out there from others
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:43 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I'll normally buy kits when I have the option, but in this case I say go with the RTR Marlin. The Marlin is far superior to any other TF2. The steering alone makes the truck so much more enjoyable to drive. Then you get the bonus of better clearance from the skid, and better approach and departure angles from the body. The tires and wheels that come with the Marlin are also pretty good. I have not been happy with the other two TF2s that I have owned (long and normal wheelbase kits) but love my Marlin.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I have a TF2 kit and frankly I am NOT impressed. The instructions don't match the parts and some parts simply do not fit. If I had to do it over I would buy the Marlin RTR.
The RTR and kit will be the same level of quality which means it's lacking in that department. You won't have to assemble the Marlin, but you will have to disassemble and reassemble it to ensure it's greased and thread lock is used where needed.

Get the truck that looks best to you. The Marlin is intended to offer better performance.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

I bought the TF2 Mojavie RTR and then 3 months later the Marlin came out so I bought the Marlin RTR. Never put the kit together so I can not speak on that matter. I can say that I have not ran my TF2 Mojavie since I got the Marlin. Personally I would go with the Marlin. I added longer shocks and the Teraflex Shackles and Zboxes. I also added a GCM Scale Transmission/Transfer case combo with the 11% over drive. I believe you would be much happier getting the Marlin in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RattleKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:32 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Marlin seems to have more of what i want end result to be like
treadway47025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I would go with the Marlin if you are going to run it mostly as purchased. If you are going to do major changes I would look at another version that may be a better fit with less takeoffs.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Depends largely on how much stuff you have already ( radio motors etc), how much you like building, and what you plan to do with the truck.

Personally I love building kits but find the Marlin just comes with so many parts you're gonna want to buy anyway I would recommend get the Marlin - subject to the above considerations.

The only thing the kit has is the 2 speed tranny - if that's important to you then it's certainly a closer call.

I have both versions, and both of them have been modded.

Oh, and i found the kit a doddle to build...
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tf2 kit or marlin crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New RC4WD tf2 Marlin Crawler rtr edition noname0383 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 49 11-01-2020 05:58 PM
Mike's RC4WD Marlin Crawler TF2 1BadJeepBruiser RC4WD Trail Finder 2 21 08-26-2019 02:06 PM
New RC4WD Marlin Crawler Edition TF2 RTR RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-25-2017 01:12 PM