Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: My Marlin and Me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My Marlin and Me

When the Marlin came out I told my brother I would own one someday. I recall reading about Marlin in 4wd mags in the mid '90s. Very cool of RC4WD to replicate his truck.

This is my first leaf spring model and third hardbody.

All shiny and straight out of the box. Ran it about 10 minutes before tearing it down.

I had done a lot reading and preparing for my first Trailfinder. I purchased the TF2 inner fenders. That was a Doh! moment. I didn't even think of the longer shock mounts of the Marlin. The TF2 inner fenders don't fit.

I do have a Gelande Defender 90 and found that those inner fenders fit. Take note: I did not like how the front shocks and towers were mounted on the Marlin. The shocks are mounted in front of the axle. Looked weird to me, so I moved the shock to the rear of the axle and moved the shock mount on the chassis. Only negative to this is a tiny loss of steering as the rear steering arm of the knuckle hits the bolt head of the shock mount. I plan to get rid of the behind the axle steering soon.

Went with the A&M Garage reverse shackle kit and the BowHouse rear shackle mount (not pictured).

In my research of the Trailfinder I learned of the knuckle bearing mod. I jumped right in and ordered up the bearings from FastEddy. My only complaint I had with the kit 'right of the box' was a sloppy knuckle. Using the 15/64 drill I went clear through the knuckle and installed three bearings. I don't know if it is the right way, but it seems to be working well.

Here's a shot of the front bumper mount. I had to grind off a bit of the bumper mounting tabs to get it to mount up proper.

For now, I have thrown in some electronics I had around: Mamba Max ESC, Holme Crawlmaster Pro 13t, a rode hard Hitec 7950, Futaba receiver, HeyOk winch controller with RC4WD mini-Warn winch. Soon going to add some lights with a HeyOk light controller.

Fast forward though the paint process and her she is. The tires rubbed like crazy, so I trimmed the front and back of the front fenders. Went with Duplicolor automtive rattle can primer and paint. I have not done a clear coat yet.

Last edited by Chiphead; 09-06-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My Marlin and Me

Looking good so far, but seems flanged bearings and a little shim if needed would locate knuckles better vertically and keep any weird side load off the XVDs.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #3

Great info...please show some additional photos of the D90 fenders when you get those on, brilliant idea. I mangled my TF2 inner fenders pretty good trying to cut them to make those same shock towers fit through them!

Also (just stating my general ignorance here) but for whatever reason I was thinking that the knuckle bearing mod was for the original Yota I axles rather than the Yota II's, but perhaps both can be done or maybe I had that backwards.

Nice job on that paint too btw!
jrayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Looking good so far, but seems flanged bearings and a little shim if needed would locate knuckles better vertically and keep any weird side load off the XVDs.
Those are flanged bearings, all three. The knucks fit like butter on the axle. Super Skookum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayers View Post
Also (just stating my general ignorance here) but for whatever reason I was thinking that the knuckle bearing mod was for the original Yota I axles rather than the Yota II's, but perhaps both can be done or maybe I had that backwards.

Nice job on that paint too btw!
It may be that the bearing mod was for the original Yota axles. I think it was me being too eager. Here's how it went: I have some mental note about a bearing mod. I get the RTR and my only grip was one knuckle had a shit ton of slop on the axle... so off I go doing a bearing mod. Then when I use three flanged bearings on each side, I thought to myself, "that's not what they used in the RCC post". I go back to the RCC post and see it is for the OG Yota axle.

Thanks for the paint compliment.

BTW, can anybody answer if a OG Yota knuckle fits the Yota II axle?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #5

No matter what I read (or thought I had read) before, you posted pics of a successful Yota II knuckle bearing mod, which is awesome! Keep this thread posted as to how it goes...it's this type of information and experimentation that keeps things interesting I think!

I really want to see more about the inner fender thing too!
jrayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Will the Geoland inner fenders fit with the shock hoop and shock in the stock location?
GR8 PMKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Here's a general idea of the Gelande Inner Fender with the shock tower in the stock location. After getting the Gelande inner fenders in, I may do it again and go with the PardonMyNoob inner fenders

I did snag the new RC4WD interior kit and I am a big fan. I painted it with a Kyrlon flat sand and then detailed it up with some Vallejo washes. I also threw in the twin stick shifter from a Wraith to try and pay some homage to a real Marlin.

Mount the electronics, run the lights and then some exterior detail and I think I will be done.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

That new RC4WD Interior is amazing. Great job on the detailing, it looks really good
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Been busy but I finally got out on the first hike.

But before the hike I got some work done on the truck. I used the light kit from RC4WD and a controller from HeyOk to get headlights, marker, and tail lights with brake and reverse.

A couple of pics from the hike.

EDIT: Forgot my favorite from the day

Last edited by Chiphead; 10-30-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
RCC Addict

This is on my list of rigs to get, I had an original TF2 kit when they first came out and I really miss it! Yours is looking GREAT!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #11

Good looking truck! I had no idea that a 2-door interior exist. Is it new?
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Than you for the compliments. This is my first Trailfinder and I am really having fun with it.

Jato, the interior was released around the beginning of September.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Earlier in the thread I showed how I replaced the steering bushings with three flanged bearings.... ya, don't do that. I was dumb and confused. I did a Yota 1 mod on a Yota II axle. The one hike is all it took to crack one of the knuckles as well as loose a top steering screw and bearing.

Lesson learned. I have ordered up replacement knuckles and I am going to run them stock.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I had that mod done on my yota 2 front knuckles for a wile now and have not cracked on me at all. The problem is that people drill them out all the way through, making that part of the knuckle too weak. I drilled them just enough so that the bearing sits in fully, that way leaving more meat on the knuckle. The hole ends up having a small step inside. I’ve had it for 5-6 months now and just went through my first event... no loosening or cracking at all. Did had to replace the front axle housing as it had already suffered from before the mod.
1SLWMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Great read thus far... Sorry about that break. Lesson learned
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote

My Marlin and Me - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1SLWMoFo's Marlin 1SLWMoFo RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 04-22-2019 08:25 PM
Anyone link a marlin yet jdmguy760 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 2 03-05-2018 07:08 PM
New Marlin Crawler & Marlin crawler black edition J55TTC Scale Videos! 0 11-05-2017 12:35 PM
Got Marlin? J55TTC Scale Videos! 0 11-04-2017 02:40 PM
Marlin Crawler... KRAWLR4life 1.9 Scale Rigs 24 07-02-2008 07:14 AM