Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Unpimp your auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2021, 12:12 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Unpimp your auto

So I don't really think I've seen anyone try this? I'm sure it's been done but I just can't recall ever seeing one on youtube or around these parts. I'm by no means claiming to be the first!

I love all of my rigs, in particular my highly-modified Marlin Crawler edition TF2. It flexes like a brick, has that classic RN36 look, and hangs with my buddy's TRX4 like nothing. It's so great, in fact, that I no longer feel challenged when following the TRX4.

There's no way I'm getting bored of it... I just, I dunno. I crave an "even less capable" rig. Combine that with this bone-stock RN36 I saw while seeking inspiration, and I arrived at my latest project - a totally factory-original 1980 RN36 Hilux 4x4.

For the basis of this project, I chose a TF2 ARTR. I'm sorry to say that I deleted the only stock picture I had of it, so here's this promo shot for reference of how it looks out of box (it's just a regular TF2 in white):

The very first "mods" included removing any and all barwork, and then swapping the front out for an HGP407 Bruiser clone front end.

I'm falling out of love with the stripes, RC4WD did a pretty bad job replicating them. They're too fat in some spots, and too short to reach the tops of the doors. My hood stripes were die-cut crooked, as well, so I had to order another set. I'm honestly debating just removing them and having a plain white truck. I think it fits the theme better, anyway.

And here's how it sits currently. 70mm scale shocks without internal springs, A&M Garage shackle reverse kit, smallest leaf removed from the rear and placed on top of the main front leaf to stop the shackles from binding (which I realized is possible with the shorter shocks I installed). Yota steelies, RC4WD rear hubs, and Baja MTZs. Looking for my hub tool so I can install my Aisin front hubs.

Lots more on the way, including a full interior, number plates, driver figure, and more!

Last edited by addiemonster; 06-23-2021 at 12:15 AM.
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2021, 06:13 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: Unpimp your auto

Cool idea!

I'm in the same situation with my Marlin. I bought it to have a more scale, less capable rig to go out and have fun with, but the way it sits now, it can climb and crawl with the best of them!

Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned for it!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

This is awesome. I’m happy to see you chose round headlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

Seems like a fun project to me. Like a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

I am impressed you guys find your little 1.55’s as capable as an x4 with it’s big beef tires. Perhaps it’s the terrain you guys run, but tire size makes a world of difference around here with all of the bouldery and boney terrain.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I'm in the same situation with my Marlin. I bought it to have a more scale, less capable rig to go out and have fun with, but the way it sits now, it can climb and crawl with the best of them!
When I first got into scaling/crawling, I was eyeing the TF2 before anything else. I decided to hold off and get an SCX10II Honcho instead because I figured the leaf springs would really hold me back and might sour my interest if it's my first rig. I don't regret my decision, but I do regret getting a handful of other rigs after that before finally getting a TF2 a couple years later. Now I have three, and looking at a LWB in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
This is awesome. I’m happy to see you chose round headlights
Thanks! I don't think I saw any 1980 4x4 models that came with the square headlights. Plus the round ones just look way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I am impressed you guys find your little 1.55’s as capable as an x4 with it’s big beef tires. Perhaps it’s the terrain you guys run, but tire size makes a world of difference around here with all of the bouldery and boney terrain.
Oh, we have bouldery! Don't get me wrong, my TF2 isn't *this* capable, but I have other rigs for the extreme stuff.

We mainly run in terrain like this:

There's definitely going to be places I just can't bring this new TF2, but the majority of our usual trails I think it'll do pretty well with some competent driving.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:14 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

More progress tonight. De-striped it, as those particular RC4WD stripes suck and the die cut job was awful on my decal sheet. Plain white truck it is! CCHand etched emblems were next. Quite pleased with the quality but was a little annoyed how the RC4WD website lists them as having an adhesive backing - they don't. Toothpick dabs of CA glue are holding the fender emblems on, while the grille emblem is adhered with a tiny glob of Shoe Goo.

While we're looking at the front end, can we just appreciate a rare condition you don't see too much in TF2s? Properly-tucked wheels with full steering throw and miles of clearance from the front leafs!

Suspension is finally sorted. It looks a little tall at the moment, but once all the electronics, interior, driver, and battery are in and the leafs start to break in, it will sag to an appropriate ride height. Swapped in Gelande 2 shock hoops, with 70mm scale shocks. I removed the extra leaf I added to the top of the front leaf pack as mounting the shock in the top hole of the Gelande 2 hoops nullified the issue of my shackles inverting. Truck now sits on just the main and secondary leaf front and rear. Bowhouse RC rear shackle mounts are a given.

25kg Amazon special DSservo is spaced up juuuust enough where the front diff only barely contacts the servo horn under full compression of the front suspension, which almost never happens in a TF2, anyway. Full compression without contact is possible on either side, though.

Got a bunch of these Rancho adjustable stabilizers for the servo links on all my TF2s, I'm digging the scale look.

Get it?

Last edited by addiemonster; 06-23-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:27 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Oh, this is coming along VERY nicely!

Refrigerator white work trucks always hit the spot.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Oh, this is coming along VERY nicely!

Refrigerator white work trucks always hit the spot.

Thanks! More updates coming tonight.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

As promised, here's tonight's update - a little grime just to add some character to the old workhorse. Didn't want to rust this one up, but I know it won't stay minty fresh with shiny paint forever, so why not get ahead of the first scratch, eh? I need to touch up the black details a little, like the window seals etc as the oil paint likes to eat the acrylic in my black paint pen. Easily remedied.

Anyway, here are the money shots! Just a few decades of grunge to simulate a well-looked-after Albertan utility truck.

Wait, Addie, did you say "Albertan"? What'd you mean by that?

Oh yeah. I name all my trucks. This one's Bubb. Why?

"Bub."

Everyone's favorite Canadian, Logan, will be fulfilling driver duties on this one.

More updates on the way!
Old 06-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Updates including interior coming soon! Just wanted to post this to acknowledge that I am indeed NOT the first person to have this idea!

Great build right here of a 99% stock-spec RN36, awesome job! Johnny builds a Toyota Hilux.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:37 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Good job. Looks like a proper work/farm truck. How much room is there between the tires and the leaf springs at full steering lock? That "steering stabilizer" drag link clears everything just fine with its larger-than-standard diameter?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Good job. Looks like a proper work/farm truck. How much room is there between the tires and the leaf springs at full steering lock? That "steering stabilizer" drag link clears everything just fine with its larger-than-standard diameter?
Check it out!

And a shot of the interior in progress.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I love this build and your marlin build. This one I really like to the more simple look. I wish I had a gotten tf2 earlier as well.

My tf2 is my favorite out of my element and trx4.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I dont own a tf2, but it looks like you could flip the servo mount crossbrace, then move the servo to the left side. Wouldn't that solve your pumpkin/servo horn issue?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:33 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

It's a can of worms, but I'm doing it to mine. You gotta flip and remount the motor/trans/transfer case.

There's tons of room! Mine has the tie rod up front, robbing precious room with my lowered suspension.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, you need to move a lot more stuff around because if you swap the servo to the other side, the motor needs to be moved as well. Seems more trouble than it's worth for my needs, but not impossible. I may need to consider other options, as I think I want to place my axles on top of the leafs as I don't think my suspension will droop enough to look factory as it is.

Unpimp your auto - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto Grease RednekCrawler Axial Wraith 11 12-16-2011 10:56 PM
Auto Mechanics droopmodmrc Chit Chat 35 02-23-2011 10:33 PM
Auto PM in sent folder? pantablo Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 01-11-2008 06:07 PM
auto log out?'s mrmaxxman Comments, Suggestions, and Help 15 06-29-2007 09:48 PM
Auto X extreme syco133 Chit Chat 5 10-24-2006 09:42 AM