Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat RS10 vs. the rest??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Redcat RS10 vs. the rest??

Im just curious why I see so much bashing on the Redcats. Im had one and have another on the way.

It just seems funny to me that everyone is saying they are cheap and have no mod parts available, but yet its only been out for 6 months. Ive been in RC for 15+ years and Ive seen it all with major companies introducing new trucks and they have major issue but since its one of the well known companies the issues get pussed under the rug. Im just curious why Redcat is being bashed so much? Is it due to they dont have a ton of aftermarket stuff out there(guess what, ALOT of Axial parts work)? Yall tell me, and dont give me this bullshyt that its junk unless you have owner knowledge. Lets here from the pros.

Oh an if yall try and claim it isnt a "hobby grade", its funny everytime we go out, my Redcat doesnt break, but my buddies Axial does everytime, maybe that why he bought my old Redcat RS10!!!!
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I agree with you, for $200 rtr with a 3 channel radio, four wheel steer various options.
I had a chance to run one and had a blast, grant it it wouldn't do what my
(way to much to say) crawler would do, but with a little tweaking it would work.
As is it is an excellent entri level crawler. I will be getting one delivered to me next week
in the box for my opinion and I get to do what ever I want to it, and I will campaign it at a comp
or two so maybe we'll even see a write up on it when I get started.
Rokpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I did a ton of mods on my first one and sold it to a local kid, I never had anything break except for a Axial lower link end (hmmmm) and the kid that has it now has had no issues, but yet the Redcats are junk right??
Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

^ i know what your saying period. 3 of my buddies have em. damn good rig. we've got axials/ bully's/ cliffclimbers. we got em all. i "understand" bout supporting the hobby/ sport/ (my fun). but really- come on fellas, not a damn person in the industry side of this hobby has supported anyone i know. ever been to one of the industry peoples houses for a bbq? thought so. but i do like the fact that people bash a product that isnt the "cool shit" out there right know. i think that they made a product that shares parts with a "named brand" rig says it all. how's that for some sack support? too funny in a hobby with 90% of the rigs being "custom" my ass. ax10 springs on traxxis shocks "bout as custom as walking down the tacky isle in Kragen, with a crap magnet" i see the bashing on line and it's "high larry ous". just be happy those type of slapdicks are not your friends

my .02
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

when it comes down to it a shaftie (shaft driven crawler) is 3 main parts, 2 axles and a transmission. everything else can be substituted and or figured to to make work. the tranny's are usually fine so it further comes down to the axles and their ability to stand up to what you give it. the downside from what i hear there are no replacement parts available. so if you bust something your busted. if you can buy replacement parts without buying a replacement rig then it cant be the worst first rig available.
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub599 View Post
when it comes down to it a shaftie (shaft driven crawler) is 3 main parts, 2 axles and a transmission. everything else can be substituted and or figured to to make work. the tranny's are usually fine so it further comes down to the axles and their ability to stand up to what you give it. the downside from what i hear there are no replacement parts available. so if you bust something your busted. if you can buy replacement parts without buying a replacement rig then it cant be the worst first rig available.
Thats just it, there are readily available stock replacement parts for when something does break, as for aftermarket theres not yet but with experimenting you can find alot that can be used. But just like with all rigs, the aftermarket will come. It basically a MOA that when mine is done the only thing somewhat stock will be the axles just like most rigs on this site.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

If the RedCat RS10 had a section on this forum dedicated like the Bully, AX-10 and the various others there would be a more mainstream following and acceptance of this vehicle. Advertising and merchandising of this vehicle is it's only downfall in this forum.

Redcat parts are easily obtained and delivered to my home in the same time as ordering from tower and faster than my favored RC4WD (my bully addiction is another story).

I started last year when it first came out and have been playing with it on and off. Modifications to this platform were no different than other trucks that were not "designed" as comp crawlers. I bought an AX-10 when it came out as well and it was no where near a comp crawler, that is why they made the ready to crawl truck, they adapted to the market.

The Red cat RS10 has some "required" mods to comp with, Motor wiring, proper four link, battery upgrade, suspension limiting, a proper skid plate, wheels, tires and motor upgrades. Sounds farmiliar doesn't it? Adding a speed controller and punk dig with a 3s lipo makes this vehicle compatible with other MOA trucks that cost much more to start at.

That said I think that the RS10 needs to have it's own section so it's supporters can exchange ideas and set the aftermarket rolling on ideas that support this site and the hobby as a whole.
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Well said jrkilburn. This is a topic that comes up on this forum, as well as others, when people ask about this rig. It's not a bad rig...it has it's flaws, but no out of the box rig is perfect. For someone starting in the hobby who's on a very low budget...I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the redcat, but when I started out if I had a much larger budget, would I have went for something like a bully or berg? Absolutely.

Last edited by jsowens; 11-28-2009 at 07:41 AM.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Hell if someone would make aluminum axle housings with steel gears for the Redcat, the design IMO is better then the Bully and the Berg axles. They have better ground clearance in the center. If the "HOBBY" gave this truck a honest chance I think ALOT of people would be surprised at the capability this rig actually has. When I talked to CKRC for some ideas they didnt bash the truck at all and are planning more aftermarket stuff for it in the future.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #10

We used the crap out of this little crawler the last 9 days at the Hammers and it did great... Everyone had a blast with it that played with it...

My controler broke but it flew out of the buggy at MACHIII but i still like it..
tjmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I dont see why anyone even cares what anyone else on an INTERNET forum says. I have a mildly modded ax10 that would probably get out crawled by anything with a good driver but thats fine. If I knew about RS10's when I got into the hobby I probably would have bought one simply beacuse of the price. I dont see what got into your ass BADASSPONY that you had to go and make this thread, you have insecurity issues if a rc forum gets you that worked up.
bboybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Well, I been in the hobby for a while, and i understand why people call it a POS and i understand why others love it.

This entire hobby is nothing but preference. You want a berg, go buy a berg, you want a axial, go get an axial, you want a redcat, go get one. Simple as that. Most of the time, people who say its a POS usually are the ones that look at pretty pics and judge from there. Also, there is always a leader of the pack. I guarantee if the RCC champs bought a redcat, posted it up, comped with it, TONS of people would get one. If i recall, wasn't there some shit talk about the Berg kit a while back?

Anywho, I think its neat. Its just like every other crawler, it takes some serious mods. Just like the Berg kit and the axial. really, the only thing useful in the Redcat is the axles(i think atleast). I'm building me a 2010 berg comp rig here soon, I might get me a redcat and do 2 builds exactly the same besides the axles, just to give my own review on the rig...
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I think the RS10 looks like it could be sweet with some mods. I like how they already offer lower ratio gear sets for it. If they release metal gears than it could be a contender.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #14

I agree that there should be a section for the RS10 or Redcat. I found out about crawling after being away from R/C since my childhood. I recently found this site and have been reading up on all the crawlers trying to decide what to buy to get back into the sport. Since I can't use any of my Tamiya Frog or Associated RC-10 parts in a crawler, I have to get a whole setup/RTR whatever...and from my wallet's perspective, the Redcat is a good deal as a return to R/C and crawling. Reading a bunch of back and forth whining just makes me want to vote for the underdog and try out the Redcat.
surlymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Hi everyone new to the forums, alot of great info here, but alot of usless flaming like the usual internet provides. The way I see it, everything is typically a copy of something else. As for the post I read about how they stole their design from axial so they wouldnt have to make hop-up parts and whatnot, well then that would be beneficial to Axial, they are now selling more hop-up parts to customers they may not have reached before.

The way ive always done it is, buy what you like, and what you expect. I perfer to buy rc products that already have aftermarket products available. And for someone like me who doesnt actually have a rig yet, because im still deciding what to get, 200$ is not a bad price tag to get into the hobby to see if i will even like it.

Hey look on the other side, you break your axial, now you can rip stuff off that redcat and you can keep running for the day instead of waiting for a part. Two way street here...

Anyways just my $0.02!

-James
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
The way I see it, everything is typically a copy of something else. As for the post I read about how they stole their design from axial so they wouldnt have to make hop-up parts and whatnot, well then that would be beneficial to Axial, they are now selling more hop-up parts to customers they may not have reached before.

Hey look on the other side, you break your axial, now you can rip stuff off that redcat and you can keep running for the day instead of waiting for a part. Two way street here...

Anyways just my $0.02!

-James

Heres some level headed thinking! Good call man, I think that point would sort of stuff out a lot of nay sayers over the whole copying thing
Larson627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I say screw axial and redcat...get a venom! j/k

To each it's own...as stated before, it's all preference and imagination. As far as I can remember about crawling, before all these kits came out the hobby was all about building your own stuff making parts from various rigs to frankenstein one. There was no support but merely trial and error and trying to figure what works.
mangus7175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #18

I bought a rs10 for what it is. It's a entry level basher. I bought it for $120, cheaper than a good set of axles. I have yet to break something on it. I want to build something custom, but till then I'm going to beat the snot out of the rs10. A buddy has a clod based crawler and he prefers to run a rs10. I like it, and it's funny to bash, and I don't have a lot of cash into it.
dodge44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Some people were born with money falling out of their pockets and mouths. Some of us were not so lucky. So let us enjoy this hobby to. I'm sure in the beginning all the big names in this hobby had their problems to and got bashed. I don't really care what the next person has, all I want to do is have fun, meet new people and possibly make new friends. So put your big girl panties on and get over it. If I offended anybody I'm SORRY. Now lets go play while we can. I think the rs10 is a great truck for what it is intended for ,beginners. Redcat said they may do hop ups next year for the rs10.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Funny thing is, my RS10 comped right with the other rigs yesterday in Ohio. Yes I had minor issues but that was its first time out.