Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: cheap stock tire trick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default cheap stock tire trick

Ive seen other post's for softening tires but never seen gojo hand cleaner. Well I put one tire in a sandwich bag overnight thoroughly rubbed down with gojo and left it over my floor vent for some heat . Well the next morning most of the gojo was black and I thought the treated tire felt softer so I washed it in cold water and washed a untreated in cold water then I set up four of our daycare kids to do a squish test and write down a or b on a paper and hand it to me . Well the treated tire won 4-0 I even switched them up same results I also cut the lugs where they touch under stress at the tips to help fold under pressure . It has helped a bunch . Im writing this for the guys who dont want to spend any extra cash , GOJO is only 1.99, and baggies are about .05c a piece . I ran stock tires with no foams and it held the truck up but after the soak the tire ran down to the sidewalls . Hope this helps someone . BOB
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

Hmmm,...?!! I find this Lil' trick of your's to maybe usefull for me too'...?! - And I may just have to try that out on an old set of stocker's that are like brand new still' - that I have laying around and see what different's it make to them as well. - I've heard of guy's using simple green and heard that it work's very well for them too' - have ya' heard of that one as well,...?!! Thank's for the tip brotha'. I'll take note of it too,___Scoot'er.
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
jwo
Rock Crawler

hey thats good, you could also use wd40 soak in a bag. it will soften them real good. i have a set of redrocks that are hard as a rock. i did it to them and they are wicked soft. to bad ill never use them tho. crappy tire.they were test tires. i probably wouldnt let them sit for more then 12 hours. my red rocks grew from 5.5'' to 6.5'' . they would fit better on a 2.8'' wheel now. i did my rock claws as well. 14 hour soak. they were soft before. wicked soft now, and about a 1/4'' taller. simple green also makes the tires pretty sticky as well.
doing this stuff to the stock tires would greatly help, as well as opening up the center lugs a bit. kinda like they do on the axial tires to gain traction. crawler tires these days are made from really soft rubber as well as being really thin. its good to see stock stuff being modded to work better.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I did open up a gap to the inner lugs and the tip of the L shaped outer lug so there was no lug contact . I didnt notice any size difference after the soak and I only really rubbed down the tread .They felt alot stickier after too . Good luck and let me know if it worked for you.
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
jwo
Rock Crawler

it may happen more or less with different tires. i just gave a for warning just incase. since then i keep them in the open to keep an eye on em, and also not to forget about them. some of them i leave on my beadlocks so i have no worries if they grow. you can always take em out and check them out along the way.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote