Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: will this pinion work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default will this pinion work?

has anyone used this pinion in the rear of the rs10 to fight the clod stall? i heard you need just a one tooth smaller pinion and it will help so i was wondering if this is the one i would need. http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=2211
rccherocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I would order the 8T pinion from either ramtech or rufaster.com
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I second the 8t pinion. When I first got my cobalt motors I picked up pinions that were shaped like that (weird aluminum collar at the bottom and no hole in the top) and they wouldn't work. They fit the motor shaft fine, but the gears in the RS10 gearbox contacted the smooth collar...not the gear teeth.

Last edited by jsowens; 01-26-2010 at 12:35 PM.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

ok thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
jwo
Rock Crawler

okay i know this is an old post,didnt want to start a new thread over gear pitch. are the gears really 48 pitch? the teeth in the axle look bigger then 48.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

My pinions are 48 pitch and they mesh with the rest of the gears perfectly.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

ya so do mine. i picked up some 10t and 8t 48 pitch gears and they mesh fine. i just cant get them so sit flush with the axle gears while running the banebots.... its a mystery to me. i really wanna throw my 8t in the rear but i cant get it to fit...
Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
jwo
Rock Crawler

okay thanks guys, they just dont look it.i was looking at all the pinions i have and i was like no way these are 48pitch. must be because of the amount of teeth. im gonna try to gear these bane bots down the best i can.not concerned about power or wheel spin, but i know the lower the gearing the cooler these puppies will run. if i can ill use a 8t in the front and smaller in the rear if i can find one.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwo View Post
okay thanks guys, they just dont look it.i was looking at all the pinions i have and i was like no way these are 48pitch. must be because of the amount of teeth. im gonna try to gear these bane bots down the best i can.not concerned about power or wheel spin, but i know the lower the gearing the cooler these puppies will run. if i can ill use a 8t in the front and smaller in the rear if i can find one.

Let me know how that works out. I was at the LHS and all they had was 9tooth. So I will be doing some shoping as well.
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by major94 View Post
Let me know how that works out. I was at the LHS and all they had was 9tooth. So I will be doing some shoping as well.
so far its a no go, thats pretty much the smallest i found as well. i have been hoping to find a 6 or a 7 tooth. if these were 32 pitch we would be in like flint. i wonder how much it would be to have a machine shop make some. redcat should come out with a little more pinion sizes to help us out. like a 6-10 or 12 maybe. regardless im gonna keep nosin around. maybe ill get lucky.if i do, ill be postin it
Old 02-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

When I get my new build to the point of installing the motors I going to run the 8T front and rear to start. I dont think a pinion smaller then the 8T is possible. I hoping when the steel gears are available the will have a couple options for gearing to make running different motors easier.
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASSPONY View Post
When I get my new build to the point of installing the motors I going to run the 8T front and rear to start. I dont think a pinion smaller then the 8T is possible. I hoping when the steel gears are available the will have a couple options for gearing to make running different motors easier.
im going to be doing the same. i dont think there are any pinions smaller.i found this site,http://gearsmade.com/ its a 65$ minimum order.its the best i have found. requests old gears to compare too. i was debating shootin him a email asking about prices, how many gears, if they can make a tooth count change. its been tempting, but if i only need two at the most. im really only wanting like a 6 or 7 tooth. it would make it much easier if redcat could offer us more pinion sizes for these trucks.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine a 6 or 7t pinion would make that much more of a difference than an 8t would make. It would be cool to see some different gear ratios, though.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

so we need a 32 pitch pinion to work with the Bane's?
nhwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhwheelin View Post
so we need a 32 pitch pinion to work with the Bane's?

i dont believe so, you can use the stock pinions from what i read. my motors will be here tomorrow hopefully. i also found these.http://cgi.ebay.com/2-3-mm-main-moto...item2556e6a8f4
its a 9-13t set. they are 2.3mm so they will fit the banebots. i think it would be a matter of if they the teeth are long enough. when i get my motors ill do some measuring to find out if these are long enough. they look like they will though. just some more info found.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
RCC Addict

48 pitch is the correct pitch for the stock gears...32p wouldn't mesh up with the gears correctly and would cause problems I imagine.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

i have the stock pinions on my Banes but i wat more crawl and a little less speed so i shoul switch to 8t 48 pitch pinions?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
jwo
Rock Crawler

it will help a bit, how much? not sure. little slower, little more torque. from what i hear the banebots are a little fast. not sure which ones you have.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I put banebots in with 8t pinion gears, order them from the guys on the board, you won't be disapointed. You will have to dremel or file the shaft on the banebots for the set screw. Don't think about it, just do it.
Cam_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

ordering them today. i picked up the 380 7.2v Banes. i have already filed flat spots on the shafts for the stock pinions. sory for the questions im a noob to rc crawlin.