Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: suggestions for new motors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #1

Default suggestions for new motors?

hey guys i want to get 2 new motors, and keep the stockers for spares... what should i buy that is gonna bolt right in? i dont want anything crazy expensive as i will eventually go with bigger one down the road.
so ya what is a good deal and will bolt right in and be good with the stock esc and stuff?
links to sites for them would be very helpfull too! lol
thanks guys

p.s. i dont know brushed motors at all yet all i have is brushless stuff till the rs10.. what should i look for like turns wise lol it all new to me!!!

Last edited by rushton123; 06-05-2010 at 09:50 PM.
rushton123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

look at tips and tricks at top of post choices
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Official RS10 tips and tricks thread.

Check out the 5th bold section on that first post...small list of upgrade motors. Pretty much all of those, as well as any 300-400 size motor should bolt up without any modifications at all. Some guys are also running 540 sized motors without issue, but you have to dremel the gearbox for them to fit. If you're looking for something inexpensive until you go for bigger motors...the banebots would probably be good for you...the banebots don't have a turn rating (for example, they're not like 55 turns). I've always been partial to the cobalt motors...plenty of torque and wheelspeed, and no need to buy 540's and mod the gearbox if you have them. They're a tad pricey though.

As far as turns are concerned...stock RS10 motors are 70 turn...the higher the number, the more torque produced. The lower the number, the more wheelspeed. The common used in MOA rigs using dual 540 motors is 35-55 turns...my cobalts are 13 turns. Most motors will work fine with the stock ESC, but later down the road you might wanna pick up a better ESC.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
jwo
Rock Crawler

yeah the banebots are probably your best cheapest route with out modifications. they have kv ratings, no turn ratings like jsowens said.
the 390s i had were quite fast with good torque on a 3 cell and 8 t pinions. but those are 12v motors.
380's are probably what you want if you run the stock esc due to their voltage ratings. they are an improvement over stock, just dont expect a massive improvement.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:59 AM   #5

any links to these motors?
rushton123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
RCC Addict

There are links to the banebots, as well as several other motors on the RS10 tips and tricks page that I posted the link to in my last post.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote