Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: rs10 newb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default rs10 newb

Ok so i am new to this rock crawling hobby. I have had rc cars before so I know a little about the hobby as a whole. My big question is this.....all things considered is the RS10 a pretty good kit? Also can it be adapted to handle c type battery packs? I like the motors on the axles. Not sure about the electronics though. Thanks to any and all posts and forgive my newbness.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Well...to answer your big question first. Whether or not the RS10 is a good kit depends on how you look at it. On one hand...if you buy one with the mentality that it's an inexpensive, beginner oriented, RTR rig that has cheapish electronics and parts to keep the cost down, but has a decent set of axles that are a good foundation and is something you'll end up modding to be capable...I doubt you'll be disappointed with it. On the other hand...if you buy one expecting it to perform out of the box on the same caliber as more expensive comp rigs and get angry that the electronics aren't that great...you'll probably regret your purchase. Bottom line is do your homework, read some of our posts about the rig, and if you like what you read...pick one up.

As far as the battery packs...it depends on the voltage rating of the packs. If it's something you already have, give it a shot if you buy a RS10. Personally, I think those big battery packs are overkill and you can benefit yourself by picking up smaller, lighter battery packs.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

mostly looking for beginner but I know i am going to get hooked on this straight away. everything under 200 bones rtr seems appealing. I also posted a topic about the moa vs axles and tranny. Not sure which one is best so was thinking ahead about using the moa's and getting/building chassis and adding own electronics without having to worry about gearbox. any thoughts on which is better? thanks alot.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

torque twist or clod stall... that was the deciding factor for me. i chose clod and im quite happy
FullScaleDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

All things considered the rs-10 is a great little truck. I picked it up as my first crawler and I am happy I did. Like all rtr rc's you'll want to upgrade things as you go. I think the 10 is a great way to step into crawling.
AngryTradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info guys......it really seems like it's mostly personal preference. If i were to go shafty i woud prefer to buy axles and gearbox and make own frame. Trying to find place to get specs for frame and where to buy axles and gearbox locally. Leaning towards the rs10 mainly due to cost, comes with everything. Just in case i don't like it my kids can use it as a basher.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

It really is personal preference. MOA and shafty both have pros and cons. It's not too difficult to find chassis measurements...if you see one on here you like, just PM the owner and have them measure it. If you did decide to go shafty...axial axles/transmissions go for pretty decent prices on the classifieds on this website (you have to have 30 meaningful posts/be a member for 30 days...or buy a star for $20) or you could pick up a venom creeper kit for just over $100 and add electronics. RS10's are good rigs, they just take a bit of tinkering to get them setup well out of the box.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Worth the money,servo,rx/tx,battery and tires suck but thats true for all rtr kits. All simple mods, good way to get your feet wet in the world of crawling.
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

P.S my wifes creeper breaks everytime she pulls the trigger,shocks broke during assemblly
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I really like my rs10, like said above... tires an servos should be FIRST on the mod list
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
Well...to answer your big question first. Whether or not the RS10 is a good kit depends on how you look at it. On one hand...if you buy one with the mentality that it's an inexpensive, beginner oriented, RTR rig that has cheapish electronics and parts to keep the cost down, but has a decent set of axles that are a good foundation and is something you'll end up modding to be capable...I doubt you'll be disappointed with it. On the other hand...if you buy one expecting it to perform out of the box on the same caliber as more expensive comp rigs and get angry that the electronics aren't that great...you'll probably regret your purchase. Bottom line is do your homework, read some of our posts about the rig, and if you like what you read...pick one up.

As far as the battery packs...it depends on the voltage rating of the packs. If it's something you already have, give it a shot if you buy a RS10. Personally, I think those big battery packs are overkill and you can benefit yourself by picking up smaller, lighter battery packs.
Very well said!! I love my rs10 i go out everyday for 2hrs with three buddys all with axials and im still king of 3 monster rocks and one tree stump lol...they just cant do it!! Youll be amazed what this rig can do with a few mods its the perfect starter i think!
RTVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I think you guys have made up my mind. I am gonna get the rs10 and see how it goes. I really appreciate all the helpful info. Now i need to find a place in kc to run it. any insights on the type of tires and servos to upgrade too? How about speed control? I have a novack rooster but not sure if it is sensitive enough for crawler.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
I think you guys have made up my mind. I am gonna get the rs10 and see how it goes. I really appreciate all the helpful info. Now i need to find a place in kc to run it. any insights on the type of tires and servos to upgrade too? How about speed control? I have a novack rooster but not sure if it is sensitive enough for crawler.
All of those things really depend on your budget. I've had great luck with the HB rover tires, rc4wd mayhem servo, and I'm still using the stock ESC for the time being. The hitec 645mg is a pretty decent servo also...and you can't go wrong with any of the panther tires, rovers, etc..
Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

ok jsowens thanks. Now I have another question. this one concerns the venom creeper. There is a red and green (shocks I think) not sure what the difference is. Pretty affordable kit for a shafty.

LOL nevermind...looks like its the wheel color. total newb move