Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: plate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default plate

i just foung ot tha krawler hobbies make a plate so you can get rid of the 380 motors and put on 550 motors so that way you dont have to trash the axle . has anybodt tried these? i plan on buying a set to try i will keep you posted to see how they work
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
i just foung ot tha krawler hobbies make a plate so you can get rid of the 380 motors and put on 550 motors so that way you dont have to trash the axle . has anybodt tried these? i plan on buying a set to try i will keep you posted to see how they work
Got a link to the part? I just browsed their website and couldn't find it.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

ill try to get a link for you
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Please do! I'd love to toss a couple big boys at this baby, with my fab skill
(or lack thereof) and without a hopup, I'm sure I'd render the axle garbage.
AngryTradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I wasn't sure how it would turn out, so I ordered a spare set of gear casings for $2.00 each. Got them in first shot, and the 540's really wake this thing up. Soon as you have the power though, every thing else starts breaking, ie links and knuckles.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i havent broken links or knuckels with bigger motors. since i went to 540s over a year ago, only gears have gone thats about it
nwcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Cool, so without this "plate"... I'll need to pray, then mod the axle gear case to fix a 540 in there, and get some extra gear sets, and perhaps a few knuckels, I am guessing I might want to order a couple of 1/8th" drilled out 8 tooher's from Zno?

Anyone have a pic of what the axle look's like modded to fit the 540 in, without the motor in place?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm breaking my links with the 380's in there

Never a knuckle though. I'm only breaking the stock ones, I just replace them with the traxxas ones and forget about them.

Where's this link anyway???
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTradesman View Post
Anyone have a pic of what the axle look's like modded to fit the 540 in, without the motor in place?
540 swap basic walk through

There are pictures in there of the axle housing after the 540 modding without the motor installed. I'm running puller motors...which have a ton of wheelspeed/torque and the only thing I've messed up is gearing. I'm still on the original set of steering knuckles and I've never broken a link or rod end...not even the delrin links I made. Then again, my crawler rarely takes any serious falls and if I get in a bind I just move it by hand instead of trying to drive out of it.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the link, I'll try to get better at using the search.

That's what I needed to see. I think I might get busy on that as my next rs10 project.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTradesman View Post
Cool, so without this "plate"... I'll need to pray, then mod the axle gear case to fix a 540 in there, and get some extra gear sets, and perhaps a few knuckels, I am guessing I might want to order a couple of 1/8th" drilled out 8 tooher's from Zno?

the easiest way recommended for the pinions is using a drill press if you do it yourself. 8 tooths are pretty thin after a 1/8'' bore. i managed to get one right. the other split on me while tightening the grub screw. for an extra 5 bucks zno will bore them out for you. i ordered some tens for my 540's and it was worth it. plus you will be supporting a vendor on here. either ways good. you shouldnt need to buy more gears. mine have held up great. no wear what so ever. if you dont go with redcat pinions. 48 pitch metric pinions are what you need. berg pinions will also fit the bill. the only carnage i have encountered was a bent twisted up dog bone. that's with a sidewinder and a 3 cell lipo on stock gears. i would change out your pins with something a little tougher though. the only other thing i did was replace the screws for the housing with beefier ones for more strength.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote