Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: ZNO-RC Team Car Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #121

Default Re: ZNO-RC Team Car Build

Hey guys, I run mostly SC and Oval (when its available) in Boise and looking to get into crawling with the new Werx course setup. I actually used to be a Redcat dealer for a couple years locally, just web-based but never got my hands on the RS-10 (it was easily the best seller of the whole lineup) Would you guys recommend the RS-10 to get started with? Seems like everyone I know is putting Dingo's or some other Axial rig together...
I know the RS-10 isn't a scaler (which interests me more... I'm not looking for an all-out comp style crawler)

Thanks
kart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #122

i just recieved this in my email.

Andrew,

We have an order from you that we have been working on that includes a 540 Big Boy Kit. We regret to inform you that while running the 540 plates on our CNC machine, the tooling was permanently damaged. We will be unable to manufacture the 540 kits for quite some time as we try to make new tooling. I will remove the product line from your order today. The final payment processing will reflect that change. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there are any other items that we will need to change on the order.
gotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #123

to me it sounds like a cop out. like they intend on ceasing production completly and can not fill the orders and have no intention of doing so. you cant tell me they dont have any back up tooling for the kits. I worked in a tool crib i know it doesnt take that long to source cutting heads and other tooling pieces. As far as the cnc machining goes. if the head or something was damaged i could understand a longer turn around time but even then maybe a month tops......kind of agitated at this point.
gotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #124
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart45 View Post
Would you guys recommend the RS-10 to get started with? Seems like everyone I know is putting Dingo's or some other Axial rig together...
I know the RS-10 isn't a scaler (which interests me more... I'm not looking for an all-out comp style crawler)

Thanks
In my opinion, if you're more interested in scalers, you might be a little let down with an RS10. It doesn't really look anything like a scaler out of the box and with the money you would put into it to make it look more like one (body, chassis, smaller wheels and tires, etc...), you could have just bought an scx-10 to begin with. For an entry-level crawler, a RS10 is a perfectly fine choice for someone wanting to simply get on the rocks.

That really is a bummer about the 540 kit, though. That was definitely a logical upgrade for folks wanting more power. There were a few guys who did the mod in true DIY fashion without buying the kit, so maybe that's something you could do?
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #125
RCC Addict

I was thinking the same, a DIY DIY 540 mod. I not too sure what exactly is involved in the bought DIY but it looks possible.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #126
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajey View Post
I was thinking the same, a DIY DIY 540 mod. I not too sure what exactly is involved in the bought DIY but it looks possible.
i am going to look into this when i get mine, (at some point...) it appears by the web pics that it could just be an "adapter" to fit the face of the 540 & adjust it to the right alignment to the gears in the axle.... ?? maybe apiece of sht. metal/alum. .....

thoughts??
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Yeah that's what I was thinking and I have a couple of sheets of steel and aluminium.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #128
RCC Addict

The ZNO kit is basically a modified gearbox housing with a machined aluminum piece glued or epoxied to it. It wouldn't be that hard at all to replicate the kit as a DIY project...you just have to be willing to hack up a gearbox housing.

Here's some links you guys might find helpful:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...-overload.html

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...k-through.html

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...cumented;.html
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #129
RCC Addict

Thanks jsowens thoso should come in handy. Well I've got nothing better to do and with cutting the gearbox just do a little bit at a time no rush cause you can always cut more but not grow more.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #130

thanks for the feedback on the RS10. Ran into a deal on a Venom Safari Creeper so I think I'm gonna chase that rabbit trail for a while and see where it gets me!
kart45 is offline   Reply With Quote